Plasma Guys - Sales Pitch Needed

Slugsy01

Distinguished Member
Hi there

I have been looking for a new 40/42" TV for about a month, originally looking for an LCD as I had heard that Plasma's were dying out!

In particular I looked at the Sony W, Samsung F and Sony Aquos - I have a budget up to about £1600-1700.

However, I found them very difficult to compare and wasn't massively impressed with the picture quality (apart from Samsung when it was hooked up to the blue ray)

Indeed I was having to convince myself that Sony W would be better once I got it home, which isn;t a good frame of mind to have when spending that much money.

Then I found this forum and started to get more into the idea of a Plasma, particulalry as the picture always looked better in the shop.

I will be doing no gaming, watching a fair bit of football and golf and a lot of movies (on Sky+)

My gut feel is now that a Plasma, maybe the Pio or Panny is the way to go???

HOWEVER - my wife is sead set against a plasma, she believes every 'fishwives' tale about the Plasma and is convinced that it will 'blow up' or break within two years!!!!!:confused:

It is up to me to try and sell her on the idea of getting a plasma and I would appreciated people's thoughts to the following questions:

1. SD viewing - which is better the Plasma or LCD (Sony W or Panny/pio)

2. Screen burn - is this really an issue, what should I epxect if I buy a plasma?

3. Durability - how much more durable is an LCD?

4. Sound - any thoughts on which provides a better sound in general - Sony W or the Panny/Pio?

5. Snakes - again, is this something I should worry about?

6. Overall thoughts on the best Plasma for a budget up to say £1600.

7. Do I need to think about buying other things with it - I notice on some threads talk about 'boards' and 'cables'?

At the moment my wife wants to get the Sony W as she likes the brand - is she right to think this way?

gIzzE

Distinguished Member
A plasma will last around 15 years to half brightness, then another 10 or so till it has lost too much punch. An LCDs backlight will be lucky to see 5 years, I have never had one last this long.

Screen burn really isn't an issue with Pannys and the new Pioneers, if you set it up with a calibrtion disc you just won't get any.

I hate the Sony W, with bight outdoor scenes and being fed true hd it looks great, but get a dark scene and it is laughable, we spent a couple of hours trying to calibrate one the other day, no matter how muh you played around wit it you couldn't get it right, getting it looking good in one area and you think 'great!' then the scene changes and it falls on its arse again!!
Awful, awful, awful piece of tat!!
It was boxed up and returned, his old PW6 looked 100x better.

Slugsy01

Distinguished Member
Yeah, the one thing that really concerned me with the Sony W is that in the Sony Shop itself the colours looked really faded, as if the brightness had been turned up too much.

wilber

Get the Panasonic Plasma - your budget will stretch to the 600 if you insist on having good onboard sound, it comes with a free 5 year warranty until xmas from the right dealer (with a copy of Ice Age 2 thrown in which was the deal maker for my OH :rotfl: )

Sport is meh on LCD (IMHO) - much better on plasma
SD looks good (HD looks great)
Screen burn - total rubbish, had an hitachi for over three years with no bother at all before changing to Panasonic
What do you mean by durable? - are you considering going off roading with it ;)
Sound - 600 is great 60 if fine but a surround system rules
Snakes - mythical creatures only spotted by people with too much time on their hands (ok I'm being flippant there - individual sets may have problems but that can be said for any screen - I've not noticed purple snakes or green tinges)
Best plasma <&#163;1600 = TH42PX60 (use the remainder to buy a surround system)
You won't need anything else but you'll want a number of these (even if you don't think that you will)- surround system, Sky HD, Blu Ray, HD-DVD, Xbox, PS3, Wii

Slugsy01

Distinguished Member
Get the Panasonic Plasma - your budget will stretch to the 600 if you insist on having good onboard sound, it comes with a free 5 year warranty until xmas from the right dealer (with a copy of Ice Age 2 thrown in which was the deal maker for my OH :rotfl: )

Sport is meh on LCD (IMHO) - much better on plasma
SD looks good (HD looks great)
Screen burn - total rubbish, had an hitachi for over three years with no bother at all before changing to Panasonic
What do you mean by durable? - are you considering going off roading with it ;)
Sound - 600 is great 60 if fine but a surround system rules
Snakes - mythical creatures only spotted by people with too much time on their hands (ok I'm being flippant there - individual sets may have problems but that can be said for any screen - I've not noticed purple snakes or green tinges)
Best plasma <£1600 = TH42PX60 (use the remainder to buy a surround system)
You won't need anything else but you'll want a number of these (even if you don't think that you will)- surround system, Sky HD, Blu Ray, HD-DVD, Xbox, PS3, Wii

Great info, so you would say that the Panasonic is better than the Pioneer? Was thinking of the 427Xd i particular?

At a push I could get that for £1450 and stretch the budget a little more for a sound system?

wilber

I'm not getting into the pio v panny debate - I liked the panasonic & decided that the 37 inch model fitted best in my environment so that ended that debate. The 5 year warranty is very nice as it's backed by Panasonic rather than domestic & general (I know who I'd rather trust) - that will probably be a very big thing with a sceptical missus (it was with mine)

andypandy

could you not insist on getting panasonic approved repairer with domestic & general. In all my other policy claims with D&G they always called engineers from the manufacturers , of the actual item insuerd.

wilber

The point I was making wasn't about the repair side of it but more the feeling of reassurance - It's like car warranties. I feel much happier that my car is backed by VW rather than a third party arrangement made by the dealer. My wife was too when it came to the Panasonic warranty. There's just a feeling that the manufacturer is more likely to want to resolve problems than a third party - of course that could well prove to be false, but that's part of the nature of feelings

rayferry

I was in the same position as you about a month ago and was able to have the Panasonic TH-42PX600 and the Sony KDL-40W2000 side by side for a couple of hours, the performance of the Panasonic while watching football swung it for me a lot less smearing on the plasma compared to the LCD. I also thought the sound was better on the Panasonic as well.

1. SD viewing - which is better the Plasma or LCD (Sony W or Panny/pio)
For me Plasma

2. Screen burn - is this really an issue, what should I expect if I buy a plasma?
I have had none so far.

3. Durability - how much more durable is an LCD?
Does anyone really know yet? I have about 700 LCD's at work and have had a handful of failures. I don't about plasma's though.

4. Sound - any thoughts on which provides a better sound in general - Sony W or the Panny/Pio?
For me the Panasonic.

5. Snakes - again, is this something I should worry about?
Again never seen them.

6. Overall thoughts on the best Plasma for a budget up to say &#163;1600.
Panasonic TH-42PX600

7. Do I need to think about buying other things with it - I notice on some threads talk about 'boards' and 'cables'?
Boards, you only require these if you are buying a Panasonic Plasma display panel, imagine the PX60/600 without a tuner or sound.
Cables, it never hurts to have good quality Scart or componant cables to connect your DVD and Sky box.

andypandy

The point I was making wasn't about the repair side of it but more the feeling of reassurance - It's like car warranties. I feel much happier that my car is backed by VW rather than a third party arrangement made by the dealer. My wife was too when it came to the Panasonic warranty. There's just a feeling that the manufacturer is more likely to want to resolve problems than a third party - of course that could well prove to be false, but that's part of the nature of feelings

Ok - I see and understand your point. From my personal experiences with D&G and service I would choose them. So it simply boils down to the price of the ext. warranty. The original 'OPTIONAL' warranty with my Panasonic CRT tv (all those years ago !) cost a lot more than D&G's and it was only for 3 years rather than D&G's 5 year.

With regards to car warranties, I'll probably do the same as you - stick with original supplier.

robin78

So these are those terrible purple snakes??? Then I can order my PX60 with ease of mind next week.

Picture one, Can&#180;t make out what it is anyway, so I can&#180;t tell any color is out of place
Picture two, When I have to look THAT close to my plasma that I can see each dot individually I think I would rather buy new glasses then a new plasma
Picture three, Little purple banding in blurry background. Much more disturbing is the reflection of your desk lamp.
Picture four, It&#180;s still only occurring on a out-of-focus area in the background
Picture five, see comments of picture four.

I can understand people with some brands/models of plasmas (and many with lcd) are complaining about clay faces, it&#180;s disturbing to have such things in the focus area of your picture, but here we're talking about (minor) color faults in some backgrounds. My advice, Look at the monkey not the wall behind it.

ash

http://img107.imageshack.us/my.php?image=dsc00095co4.jpg
About the above pic, trust me this looks really bad. It is a scene from King Kong, and I was sitting 12ft away and I can clearly see it. Remember, it should have been all green.

Check this post out for pics: http://www.avforums.com/forums/showpost.php?p=3804628&postcount=211

Remember this is the AVForums, full of enthusiasts who want the best from their money. I spent 1700 on this TV, I don't think a TV costing that much should really have such problems.

TheAntiBaddiel

Standard Member
For me the Panny represents great value, we have the TH37PX60 & TH42PX60 models at work, set up alongside the Pio 436 and 427 screens, and I think that the Panasonic (when set up properly is) a lot better PQ wise especially where DVDs are concerned. We've seen some slight image retention problems with them, but only if there's been a static image on them for a while.

chaparral

About the above pic, trust me this looks really bad. It is a scene from King Kong, and I was sitting 12ft away and I can clearly see it. Remember, it should have been all green.

Check this post out for pics: http://www.avforums.com/forums/showpost.php?p=3804628&postcount=211

Remember this is the AVForums, full of enthusiasts who want the best from their money. I spent 1700 on this TV, I don't think a TV costing that much should really have such problems.
These Panasonic 42PX60 & 42PX600 seem to be getting worst and worst...I have now dropped them out of my own recommended plasma list..
These picture problems (purple snakes & green flashes) makes it very hard to belive Panasonic were always one the top plasma's out...

robin78

This is quiet visible and probably a faulty set.... but.... this is also a fuzzy out of focus background. Does it never occur on razor sharp objects in the foreground? When it's always background it looks like it's the image processor getting confused by fuzzy gradients and is trying to ' enhance' sharpness by adding contrast (purple bands). If so maybe the Sharpness rather then the contrast/brightness/color settings may alter the amount of snakes.

Searcher2

Ash - Do you happen to know at what time during King Kong you took that picture? I haven't watched it yet... and doubt I would notice the snake in any case...but am curious if I can reproduce it on my TV....so would be handy to fast forward to the point. Thanks.

ash

Yeah, erm rigth at the begining of King kong, after the Universal bit, you will see a scene with monkeys (not Kong, but normal monkeys) just playing around and you will see the green leaves etc. and you should spot the purple cobras/snakes (sorry! lol)

And the other bit, I can't remember what chapter, around the bit when Kong attacks the people on the lodge. About half way through. have you got Harry Potter GOF by chance? That has bad snakes as well.

wilber

So because you' hard core fault finders have found fault in the screen, the obvious answer must be to buy LCD :suicide:

wilber

These Panasonic 42PX60 & 42PX600 seem to be getting worst and worst...I have now dropped them out of my own recommended plasma list..
These picture problems (purple snakes & green flashes) makes it very hard to belive Panasonic were always one the top plasma's out...

sub £1000 & you can't bring yourself to recommend the sets :boring: these faults are really fanboy problems joe public won't notice and (like me) will just be gob smacked by how good the screen is for so low a price

Dom996

One of the guys at work bought the new Panny 37" plasma as he has space limitations. We sell buckets of Pioneers and a 42" is not much bigger than a 37". Anyway he seems to have regretted his choice as the Pioneers picture quality is loads better and even little things like the menu and remote seem much more pleasing with the Pioneers.

Searcher2

Yeah, erm rigth at the begining of King kong, after the Universal bit, you will see a scene with monkeys (not Kong, but normal monkeys) just playing around and you will see the green leaves etc. and you should spot the purple cobras/snakes (sorry! lol)

And the other bit, I can't remember what chapter, around the bit when Kong attacks the people on the lodge. About half way through. have you got Harry Potter GOF by chance? That has bad snakes as well.

No - I am not a Harry Potter fan so I am not going to be too disturbed but I have just put the King Kong DVD in and couldn't see any snakes in the opening scene on the first 2 runs through. I then put it on slow motion at the slowest setting and managed to see 2 'snakes' in the top left hand corner. I can now see them now I know where to look on a normal run through but without knowing and just watching the film I have to admit I was focussing on the monkey and not the left hand corner of the screen. I am now more or less convinced I will not notice them in normal viewing and won't be going out of my way to look for any more. Thanks for the info - at least I know what people are talking about now... my nephew doesn't have the infamous Goblet of Fire DVD so King Kong was the cheapest option for me.

I think if money less of an issue I may have gone for the Pioneer, but for less than &#163;1000 including a 5 year warranty purely on value for money terms I would still go for the Panasonic...even having found a snake!

The latest video from AVForums

Star Wars Andor, Woman King, more Star Trek 4K, Rings of Power & the latest TV, movies & 4K releases
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Latest News

What's new on Netflix (UK) for October 2022
  • By Ian Collen
  • Published
Starzplay streaming service rebrands as Lionsgate+
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
JVC adds Filmmaker Mode to latest D-ILA projector firmware
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
Bowers & Wilkins launches Px8 headphone