1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Plasma Generations

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs' started by WBC, Nov 11, 2004.

1. WBC

WBC

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Guys,

Has plasma pq changed much over the generations of models???

Reason I ask is that I'm considering getting one, but am unsure whether to purchase the latest state of the art model (which I probably can't afford) or get a slightly older model that I can!!!

Will the pq difference in last years model be much different to this years???

Thanks
    Stace :D

2. iangilroy

iangilroy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I'm no expert but to my eyes things have improved a lot in the last few years. 2 years ago I briefly considered a plasma but the price and very clearly sub-CRT PQ put me off.

It's different now - prices are much, much closer and the PQ of a decent plasma is very close to a decent CRT but it's bigger and in a lighter, thinner and geometry defect-free package. In many ways the crucial thing for me was that plasmas finally seem able to cope with Sky etc as well as looking nice when fed with a decent DVD.

To answer your question, I think things have improved enough that one generation behind the current models - the PW6, for example - is excellent and won't disappoint.

3. GalacticaActual

GalacticaActual

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +223
    Plasmas are a lot better these days. Although not perfect they do not suffer from a lot of problems that some crts do. The latest plasmas like the pw7 and Vierra when properly set up and calibrated can give picture quality of a decent CRT set.