1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Plasma gas REFILLING service

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs' started by scoooby, Jun 18, 2004.

1. scoooby

scoooby
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    After a visit to my Local Curry's the spotty sales boy advised me that after a certain amount of time- he wasn't sure how long, my Hitachi plasma gas would need refilling.

He then told me that his 'mate' could provide this service for about half the normal price.

Now why didn't I think of a scam like that...

2. Wazy

Wazy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    LOL!

Which store was it?

3. Koing

Koing
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    What an IDIOT.

Koing

4. reckless

reckless

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +30
    Couple of things annoy me about stories like this: one, that they're prepared to tell people such nonsense; secondly, that someone actually hired such a nimno in the first place.

I'm sure that there are a lot of good people that work in places like Dixons, Currys, Comet (though I hate Comet with a vengeance) etc and even though I haven't got a lot of time for these stores, I still think it's a shame that idiots manage to lower their reputation even further.

Either the lad was terminally stupid or he was trying to fleece someone. Either way, if I was his manager I'd be having a good "chat" with him.

5. zAndy1

zAndy1
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6,923
    The barclaycard extended warranty that you get when you buy goods on your barclaycard specifically excludes plasmas because of this myth! I couldn't believe it when I asked about it and the chap said the insurance company excluded plasmas because the gas needs refilling.

Andy

6. LV426

LV426
    Administrator Staff Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5,021
    In all probability, on the issue of Plasmas needing re-gassing, the Manager would back him up. But not on the "mate" part of it.

This fiction came about initially from the sales training offered to store staff in at least one of the chains as a suggested way of maximising the take-up of extended warranties.

7. MAW

MAW
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +412
    Horriffic. To think my son is at school with the son of one of the folks who must have thought this up. He seems such a reasonable guy!

8. GrahamC

GrahamC

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +67
    I have a question, how far do these ‘inaccuracies' have to go before they become lies and the sale becomes a fraud? :rolleyes:

9. reckless

reckless

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +30
    Not sure about fraud but if they tell you something that persuades you to purchase that turns out to be incorrect then you are well within your rights to return the item. Probably a poor example but if say you told the salesman you wanted a tv that allowed you to use the component out on your dvd player and he said that it would then if that turned out to be incorrect when you received the item you could reject it as unsuitable.

10. idhutt

idhutt

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    A few years back (March 2001?), when the Dome was being sold off, I was up for the second hand purchase/auction of one of their NEC plasma displays. In the end, all the plasma's were pulled at the last minute, but I was warned off these by NEC themselves due to

1 - they were commercial panels do not suitable for domestic use (noisy fans etc)
    2 - Their plasma would require refilling in a few years

This was from the NEC technical department - the plasma manufacturers themselves who were aware of the sale and knew what their history.

I may be wrong above with the manufacturer, im 95% sure it was NEC. But with model numbers in hand, that was the advice from the manufacturer of the panels.

Ofcourse, they were commercial panels, on 24/7 at possibly higher contrast levels than normal, and many generations old.

-Ian

11. Loftus

Loftus

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Idhutt,

That is outrageous, but surely NEC UK are just distributor/service agents - not actual manufacturers or design engineers?