Plasma gas charging fault

Well done Elvis.
I got mine from JL Newcastle. Got JL fitter out last week to look at buzzing problem & the fact that colour was flashing dark & light now & again. He saw problem & said Tv engineer would be out to see it. Got a call from JL few days ago to say when do u want new tv delivered!!!! (was only expecting engineer out). Of course I agreed to new one which is coming saturday!!! I will however check for the blurring u had with yours. The one I've got hasn't got it as I checked with Finding Nemo etc.

Cheers
Cag

My 42PD3000 broke on sunday night, there wasn't any power going to the screen (lead and fuse were ok), (AVC was ok).
So I phoned JL Cheadle on monday morning. To cut a long story short none of the service agents cover my area (they can't be bothered to drive for half an hour). So I can either get another plasma (Hitachi or otherwise) from them or buy something else and get a refund on the rest.

Good Afternoon all,

I just been Testing and inspecting my NEW pma400e which was delivered this morning.
All that i can say is that the new one is spot on . It's strange how they managed to find a new one .
Must have been something to do with a letter my solicitor wrote to the store.
I am now in the process of claiming back 3 days lost work and solicitor costs (which if anyone is interested in going down this road dose not cost as much as you would think )
It's sad that any consumer should have to go down this road to get what he / she is entitled to.

By the way still got my old one , delivery man has not picked it up yet , with any luck I'll have a spare one to put in the living room.

:rotfl:

Good luck to all .

Daran.

Glad you have managed to sort it all out Daran. It's a bit rum that we have to go to such lengths in order to receive the treatment we're entitled to.

Im glad that some of you are at last getting what you want.

Elvis, what plasma are you going to get now?
Hitachi 42PD5200? :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl:

Thanks Elvis,

It's a bit rum that we have to go to such lengths in order to receive the treatment we're entitled to.

I think this country is just anti consumer , the lengths some people have to go to is unreal.

Anyway I'm glad it's all sorted now , my blood pressure was going through the roof , it's a lot of work chasing people up all the time and making notes of what people say, I've got nearly half a exercise book full of correspondence since the 23/03 .

I'd also like to thank this forum and to all who contributed to this thread , it's all been a help.

Regard's
Daran

I really don't know what to get now. I know I want another plasma, but what make and where to buy I'm not sure. It took me a while to settle on the Hitachi from JL, and I'm quite disappointed in their customer service, but will anyone else be better? Having read Nobbydogs thread I'm not so sure. I'm going to look at some panasonics as the pioneer cost more than I want to spend. Dare I consider another Hitachi?

Panasonic TH42PA20 from Richer Sounds?

In all fairness Elvis , i think that the 400e that i have (even the old one ) has a fantastic quality picture when set up right.

Daran.

You get a straight deal from Richers, I have the greatest respect for them as a business. They and Iceland are said to be the best retail employers, and that always filters through to the customer.

Hi Elvis,

Glad everything got sorted in the end. Followed the original thread when you were in the process of buying your first plasma (along with ASH1 and a few others, ah!, the early years :) )

Anyways, you've gotta go and try nexnix or avsales. I don't think anyone on here has had any problems with either of them (maybe slightly dearer - possibly ;) ) but based on this experience, a hundred quid or so extra is worth it for a better customer care service

regards
Gary

P.S.
Anyone know what it will cost to get an extra year or so warranty on our pioneer - if finishes in June/July.

Congratulation Elvis - a well deserved victory.

An important lesson in here for all of us I think - it doesn't matter what you discuss on the phone, its only when you write things down and give a deadline that things move.

I can well understand your hesitation in buying another screen, but do stick with it.

I've just been to see my local panasonic dealer who wants £4500 for a 42PA20 :eek: when I told him how much Richers were charging he couldn't believe it, he reckons they are not UK sourced as they are so cheap.

I have to say I wasn't exactly blown away by the picture either, I do prefer the Hitachi, particularly with Sky (which is why I bought it in the first place). Maybe I should make up with JL and keep the one I've got?:confused:

After looking at the panasonic 42PA20 at Richer Sounds I'm not wildly impressed, the blacks are blacker, but the whites are greyer, all in all I still think the Hitachi is my preffered choice. What I really want is the set I have, without the blobs, from a different manufacturer, but that's not going to be possible.

How about the Fujitsu HHA30 then? Same/better panel, fujitsu service instead of Hitachi. They are a bit stuck on them too, so a good price might be had?

I know you feelings on built in tuners etc MAW, but does the HHA30 have integrated speakers and tuner?:blush:

After reading all the posts on this topic - unless I missed something - I believe the problem is simply screen burn. If you set the 400E Hitachi up in "life extension 2" mode this problem will never appear. The Hitachi site had a graph of this mode which clearly illustrated how the panel life would be dramatically extended if this was used, and the loss of brightness is minimal in a normal room, in my experience. In fact, it's a lot easier on the eye for extended viewing.
My set is now 8 months old and is still fine.With no input the screen is uniformally dark. The fact that the lighter patch is in the centre area should give people the clue - that's where the screen gets the most use, when 4:3 and 16:9 ratios are shown at different times. During the lifetime of the set, it will progressively adjust the brightness according to Hitachi's info. If you read the details and see their graphs, it becomes clear.
Anyone else agree ?
Regards

JH4,
If what you say is true, how comes no one else with other screens has mentioned the grey blob?
I don't think they all have "life extension 2 mode"!
I could be wrong though.:p

It's not screen burn. Not unless someone else had the set before I got it, it was there from day one, and hasn't changed at all since I started using it. Besides the shape doesn't even conform to my viewing pattern, which is 90% full screen Sky ( I never use 4:3 mode) with low brightness and contrast ratios. This is something to do with the manufacture of a small number of these screens. Hopefully the new generation won't suffer in this way.

Jh4,
Simple reply , it's not screen burn ,and 'life extension 2' is of no use at all , you should set your contrast to lower levels than this if accurate calibration of the monitor is of any interest to you.

Daran,

Elvis, in reply to earlier query, no integrated tuner models from Fujitsu. Speakers are an option, no problem, and connecting a freeview box with scart gives you all the functionality of a PA20/PD3000 type effort. Gives you 2 tuners, along with sky, or there are now a selection of VGA connected analogue tuners, maybe a new nicam version of the pro-v would suit, if you must have analogue. But I'd still counsel the digital route, if you can ewait a month the new integrated digital Panasonics will be along too. They have speakers too of course.

Will the new pansonics have any new technology in them or is it just a repackaging job. They use the same glass as existing models don't they?

I'm guessing they will cost more too.

Same technology, same glass, nothing wrong. If it aint broke and all that. More expensive? Initially obviously, but you know how long it takes price wars to start.

MAW, sorry to keep pestering you, but you know your stuff.
In your opinion is there much difference bwtween the Hitachi and the panasonic when it comes to Sky picture quality? This is the main use for the set, but I can't seem to find a showroom that has both side by side with decent quality input. My Hitachi seemed fine, I just wonder if the Panasonic is as good. If so then I think I'll go down the panasonic route.

Elvis,
AV Sales will have the new Panny for £3295.56.
The stand is extra, but speakers and intergrated digital tuner are included.
Worth considering??

I prefer the look of the Panny, but I do appreciate it's personal. Make sure you're happy with the look yourself, they are certainly higher in terms of customer satisfaction. Fewer returns and upsets. Potential pitfalls include too loud buzzing, power supply failure (turns itself off) and, actually, never had one back for anything else.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom