1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Plasma fright

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs' started by Dr.Rock, Oct 30, 2002.

1. Dr.Rock

Dr.Rock

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10
    Hi,

I'm considering buying a Plasma TV, but I've heard horror stories about these. Is it true that after a while, the gases inside (or something like that) lose their charge so the customer has to pay some extortionate amount of money to get the screen recharged?
    If that's true, how long does it take for a screen to lose its charge and how muchis it to recharge?

Thanks.

2. phil_evans

phil_evans
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
  3. symanski

symanski

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    I think the running joke is that you nip down to Esso and get a top up. However, I'd suggest Shell's Optimax to get just that little bit extra performance!

Seriously, the gases in a plasma screen are below ambient pressure - about 2/3 of an atmosphere. So it's actually a vacuum, holding the glass in place. The only time it can leak is when you reduce the ambient pressure, by taking the screen to about 10,000 feet. Therefore, ensure that if it's being transported via air freight that it's a pressurised aircraft.
    (Source: Television magazine).

In short, there is no such thing as having to re-gas your plasma screen.

All the best,

Dr John Sim.