Plasma for PS3?

kyussman1973

Standard Member
So i'm thinking of getting a panasonic p40s10 for gaming and blu-ray watching.Anyone here game with a plasma set and would you recommend them?

Hillskill

Moderator/Games Reviewer
Not sure that the S10s are massively well regarded for value for money compared to the G10s or the "HD Ready" X10. Hodg100 is a bit of a plasma fiend and a keen PS3 gamer. Mark any thoughts ?

B3anstar

Plasma's per se are great for playing games. Used a Panasonic (SD) and now a Pioneer (Full HD) and both are fantastic. With a little care (low settings during breaking in) and being mindful if a game has high contrast fixed HUD's you can play for hours and hours (i have played for up to 6-7 hours with no problems).

oj0

One of the main benefits I find with using a plasma is that as you're not constantly staring at a powerful backlight your eyes don't tend to hurt anywhere near as quickly.

Im using a Full HD Panasonic 46" and even at 1.5m I can game for a long time without any major negatives such as headaches and the like.

HTH

geejaybee

Novice Member
So i'm thinking of getting a panasonic p40s10 for gaming and blu-ray watching.Anyone here game with a plasma set and would you recommend them?
Just got a panasonic tx-p42g15 and MW2 looks and plays outstanding on it. Pity I can't do the same :)

Highly recommended.

stormy

I have a G10 and for gaming generally its fantastic, but as other have pointed out image retention can be a PITA. I had an inFamous HUD stuck on the screen for weeks and weeks and thats now been replaced by a Batman: AA HUD!

Really wish they put options in games to lower the brightness of HUDs more often.

The G10 also seems to suffer from banding/posterization in gaming, but input lag is next to zero and blacks are spot on.

Also if you are sensitive to phosphor trails you may see those. The worst game for me in that respect was RFoM.

Mike

geejaybee

Novice Member
am buying from argos who only have the s10,and would like full hd,is still a good tv though?
Amazon have 20* reviews for the S10 : Amazon.co.uk: tx-p42s10
I saw it side by side with the G15 I bought at John Lewis and have to say that I couldn't really see much difference. I went for the G15 for the networking and because it has the latest neopdp panel. I would think for gaming its every bit as good as the G10/G15 at a lower price.
Also its £50 cheaper on Amazon (and if you dont like it you can send it back.) .and only £5 more at John Lewis but with a 5yr guarantee

Last edited:

kyussman1973

Standard Member
Think i will go with the s10,not bothered buy the g10's extra features any way.This will be my first hdtv so i'm sure the picture will be great.Just have to wait for argos to re-stock now.

geejaybee

Novice Member
Think i will go with the s10,not bothered buy the g10's extra features any way.This will be my first hdtv so i'm sure the picture will be great.Just have to wait for argos to re-stock now.
If you dont mind me asking why wait for Argos?. Its avail now on Amazon and its cheaper ...

DAVISON

Novice Member
It'll probs be on a buy now pay l8r from argos:thumbsup:

lex87

I've got an older Panasonic 42" PX80 (720p) which was bought about a year and a half ago. I think it's great for gaming and ps3 use - I've never had a problem with image burn/retention (modern plasmas shouldn't really have this problem) or phosphor trails. There's also no lag and the colours are pretty spot on.

All in all I'd deffo recommend plasma's for big screen gaming.

Uridium

I've got an older Panasonic 42" PX80 (720p) which was bought about a year and a half ago. I think it's great for gaming and ps3 use - I've never had a problem with image burn/retention (modern plasmas shouldn't really have this problem) or phosphor trails. There's also no lag and the colours are pretty spot on.

All in all I'd deffo recommend plasma's for big screen gaming.
Still using a PX80 myself. Brilliant panel for both SD and HD.

Another endorsement for gaming on plasmas here. My V10 handles everything I chuck at with style. Aside from the obvious spot on picture quality, it was the motion handling/resolution and input lag, or lack of it, which really wowed me when it came to gaming. Everything seems so much smoother...

Phosphor trails and flicker are still an issue with plasma technology. Either you're susceptible to seeing this or you're not. One respected tech website conservatively quoted 99% of people will not be.

Uridium

Phosphor trails and flicker are still an issue with plasma technology. Either you're susceptible to seeing this or you're not. One respected tech website conservatively quoted 99% of people will not be.
Think it basically comes down to if your name is 'Jay' you'll see them. If it's not you won't....:D

RottenFox

Distinguished Member
Think it basically comes down to if your name is 'Jay' you'll see them. If it's not you won't....:D
No point in that...he's banned.....again.:(

RottenFox

Distinguished Member

stormy

Well I notice them, not badly but in certain circumstances and I know of many people, some much worse than me. Its very dependant on the contrast of the scene.

nobbyclark

I've got a Panasonic full HD plasma and it's superb for watching BDs and playing games on the PS3. The only way to go. Apart from maybe having a projector, too.

Mr. Fred

Novice Member
I can definitely say a big yes to Plasma for PS3 gaming and blu ray usage.

Since day one with my PZ85 I've always been nothing less than impressed. Everyone who sees a blu ray on it is converted, I have two friends going for plasmas to replace their current Samsung and Sony LCD's just upon viewing mine.

There's not a week that goes by without you seeing a thread on the PS3 main page here complaining of a new LCD having motion blur on a football game or it's suffering from banding and is unwatchable. Far more common than 'burn in' posts, a disadvantage of plasma that was greatly exaggerated to me before I did my own research.

Thank God for AVForums or I'd have been complaining about banding and motion blur too.

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: Philips OLED+935 impressions, Denon AVC110 Review, Film Reviews, News and More...

Latest News

Samsung updates and expands access to Samsung TV Plus
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
Disney+ UK introduces GroupWatch co-viewing feature
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
What's new on Netflix UK for November 2020
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
Harman Kardon launches Citation Amp
  • By Andy Bassett