1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Plasma for gaming

Discussion in 'General Video Gaming Chat' started by sully211, Apr 24, 2005.

1. sully211

sully211

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I am about to open a video gaming shop and am looking for advice about which plasma model to run demo discs on for about 8 hours a day behind the counter. Demos will be on Xbox and PS. I haven't got unlimited funds so am looking for a kind of average run of the mill unit. Any suggestions gratefully received.

Sully

2. chrisafc

chrisafc
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    unlimited funs wow that looks like fun

3. nero0410

nero0410
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,399
    I dont know what your looking to spend, but Richer sounds has a Panasonic 37" Plasma for a grand. LINK dont look too bad. And the have a few more for a few more quid.

I wouldnt really get one myself, as I have heard they only last about 3-4 years which is quite a short time for so much money imho.

But there are quite a few places to get them cheaper than in the shops.

digitaldirect.com

my heads quite blank at the moment so if I think of anymore places I'll post the later

tris

4. jenic

jenic

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +179
    Mind me asking where the shop is?

5. Pooon

Pooon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +731
    The one Nero listed is probably ideal for you as it does not have a Tv Tuner in it so you would not have to pay for an expensive commercial Tv licence. :clap:

6. nero0410

nero0410
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,399

Nicely spotted :smashin:

tris

7. sully211

sully211

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks to all for your input - the shop is in the Reading area.

8. harrisuk

harrisuk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +58
    Panasonic are excellent screens. Pretty much as good as you can get in terms on Plasma panels. Remember it will only come with component input board. You will need a component switch and component cables for both the Xbox and PS2 to connect it suitably.

For £999 thats an excellent screen for the price. One point I would make. Be wary of running static images for long periods. You will get burn in on Plasma displays if you do this for prolonged periods.

FYI at half contrast and brightness settings (More than adequate for most screens) half life with 5 hours use a day is 12 - 15 years. By half life I mean after this period you will have to turn the contrast and and brightness up to full to get the same quality picture.

Basically its a myth that these things expire in a short period of time. I have had one since launch, its three years old not absolutely no problems.....

9. -Jay-

-Jay-
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +135
    Aye and you best have the phone number for British gas so they can come and refill the gas in the plasma aswell. :rotfl: ;)

10. harrisuk

harrisuk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +58
    Thats what I mean its a complete myth. You cant refill them. Life expectancy of these screens with 4 - 5 hours use a day is 12 - 15 years. We will all be using roller poly screens by then or Holograms !

Its just not correct I am afraid.

11. -Jay-

-Jay-
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +135
    Yep total bull i agree, i have a panny one and it's great. :smashin:

12. sully211

sully211

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for the advice.

:smashin: There is a Richer Sounds store in Reading and will pay them a visit.

13. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Somewhere near the M4 most of the time......
    Ratings:
    +1,215
    sully see if you can get a Panny PWD6 out of them for £1099 (this willaccept component video (available from both PS2 and Xbox with after market leads, which i am sure you know) in to VGA sockect so all you need Add is a mount (go for a proper commercial one for public liability and security issues see www.unicol.com) and a switch box (JS Technology MCC http://www.js-technology.com/produc...=49&osCsid=66e28880816532a0c45b8f771707ae68is ideal) and a 3 RCA to 15 pin D-sub lead.... I would reconmend an extended warranty (i dont think RS warranty covers commercial use but TADL do see www.TADLassist.com available at special forum rates from www.AV-sales.com (who also do the panny PWD7 for £1395 delivered (note with the 7 series you will need an input board with component input, Budget about £80 for this)

14. Rob20

Rob20

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +354
    The only thing about Plasma screens is that maunfacturers recommend that you run them in for 200 hours or so at low contrast/brightness/colour etc. Especially as console games can feature bright colours and static images that when repeated constantly could lead to screen damage. I would have suggested that an lcd screen would be better for your use if they weren't still so expensive, (relative to plasma tvs for the same screen size).