Plasma for gaming only?

nick501

Distinguished Member
Anyone here moved from an LCD to a Plasma screen. It'll be used 80% of the time for the 360 and never for normal TV watching.

What did you think? Does plasma give better picture? Any motion blur or smearing? What about screen burn? Is having to 'run in' a major pain?

I was leaning Heavily towards a Toshiba 37wlt66 but came across The panasonic 37px60 and it looks good and seems to have better reviews....

I have done a bit of searching on here but I would like comments from people who have specifically moved from large LCD screens to Plasma.

Thanks!
 

Andy130

Active Member
never been a big fan LCD's to be honest, i use a 42 inch panasonic pv500 plasma, oblivion and especially g.r.a.w look absolutely gorgeous in hi-def (thru VGA) on this tele. screen burn is not an issue and havent seen any blurring at all.

andy
 

windie

Active Member
I use a Hitachi 7200 at the moment and find it very good. I have noticed a little bit of retension on the screen after a couple of hours play but it always goes away after a short time of normal tv viewing.

I don't tend to have the settings very high for the the 360
 
nick501 said:
Anyone here moved from an LCD to a Plasma screen. It'll be used 80% of the time for the 360 and never for normal TV watching.

What did you think? Does plasma give better picture? Any motion blur or smearing? What about screen burn? Is having to 'run in' a major pain?

I was leaning Heavily towards a Toshiba 37wlt66 but came across The panasonic 37px60 and it looks good and seems to have better reviews....

I have done a bit of searching on here but I would like comments from people who have specifically moved from large LCD screens to Plasma.

Thanks!

Sorry to laugh but why would anyone go from LCD to Plasma? The technology transition to Plasma isnt anything new or amazingly different :suicide:

My preference lies with LCD as I have noticed it seems to give a more vibrant and natural picture than Plasma, however a lot of Plasmas are now pretty good also.

If any transistion is to be made it would be for the new OLED/SLED teles.

Anyhow Plasmas and LCD's and pretty evenly priced now, looking at say a Samsung 40inch online price is around £1150 42inch Plasma HDTV is around the same or a bit more even.
 

dodger747

Well-known Member
I haven't jumped from LCD to Plasma but imo plasma is far superior to an LCD panel.

I bought a 42" PX60 a few months ago from John Lewis and tested almost every set they had and found that to be the best for me.

Plus for the 20% that you will be watching the TV, plasma handles sd feeds better than an LCD does [in the vast majority of cases]
 

nick501

Distinguished Member
dodger747 said:
I haven't jumped from LCD to Plasma but imo plasma is far superior to an LCD panel.

I bought a 42" PX60 a few months ago from John Lewis and tested almost every set they had and found that to be the best for me.

Plus for the 20% that you will be watching the TV, plasma handles sd feeds better than an LCD does [in the vast majority of cases]

The 20% will be for DVD's i wont be watching bbc etc on it at all!

So.......i'm now swaying towards plasma.......I must say though i currently use a toshiba 32wlt58 LCD and cant see how the picture could be improved!
 

Andy130

Active Member
things like this are quite a big investment, you should be sure before
making the decision. The only way to be sure is to see both running 360
and dvds. if your anywhere near the st helens area, your welcome to pop
in and see it runnin thru a pana plasma.

andy
 

Anotherlimey

Distinguished Member
I have the same Samsung LCD upstairs as SuperSaiyan and while im very pleased with the picture my LG plasma downstairs cant be beaten IMO, The picture on the plasma through VGA is stunning.
 

-Jay-

Banned
SuperSaiyan4 said:
My preference lies with LCD as I have noticed it seems to give a more vibrant and natural picture than Plasma,
I find the picture of sky-dvd to look unnatural, yeah they look nice and bright and gaming is ok on them but plasma gives a better picture imho. It's a shame cos i could do with a 32" high def screen for the bedroom but i know i'll be dissapointed with LCD from the one's i've tested.
 

Pooon

Distinguished Member
Lightsider - in a word Panasonic. i have one, dodger has one, Kopite is getting one. I was going to get the Toshiba 37WLT66 but after using one for a week i am 100% certain getting a plasma was the better choice
 

-Jay-

Banned
Pooon said:
Lightsider - in a word Panasonic. i have one, dodger has one, Kopite is getting one. I was going to get the Toshiba 37WLT66 but after using one for a week i am 100% certain getting a plasma was the better choice
And have another vote for panasonic from me!! :smashin:
 

NinjaMonkeyUK

Well-known Member
And another from me! :)
 

Pooon

Distinguished Member
Lightsider, the answer should now be obvious. thats 5 people from 11 replies with Pannys plus another with a Hitachi. Plasma is the way to go
 
To O/P if you want further advice and a more detailed comparison I suggest checking out both the Plasma and LCD forum might give you a better insight on brands and quality etc.:thumbsup:
 

-Jay-

Banned
SuperSaiyan4 said:
To O/P if you want further advice and a more detailed comparison I suggest checking out both the Plasma and LCD forum might give you a better insight on brands and quality etc.:thumbsup:
Why does'nt he just search this section for the other threads about the same topic? there was another thread just like this where people with both type of screen said plasma had a better picture than their LCD.

No one is saying LCD is crap if that's what you think? we are just saying plasma is better. :D ;)
 

mrm3

Active Member
SuperSaiyan4 said:
To O/P if you want further advice and a more detailed comparison I suggest checking out both the Plasma and LCD forum might give you a better insight on brands and quality etc.:thumbsup:

yep... huge overlap in quality anyone saying plasma>lcd or lcd>plasma is a buffoon or works in Currys/Dixons etc
 

Northerner76

Active Member
I have the Toshiba 37WLT58 (slightly bigger brother to your 32inch LCD screen) and have to say it's great for Xbox 360 and DVD's...

Curious as to why you are considering going the the Panasonic Plasma... have you done some side by side comparisons and noticed a better PQ?

The Panasonic 37px60 is a 1024by768 (XGA) screen, whereas the 37WLT66 is 1366by768 (WidescreenXGA)... this means that 1280by720p output from the Xbox360 will be downscaled to fit the 1024by768 plasma screen... (thereby losing a number of pixels) admitedly the Toshiba will also upscaling in order to match the panels native resolution.

Both TV's have good connections and their fair number of good reviews, but having seen them both side by side in John Lewis showing the same HD feed I couldn't really seperate them PQ wise... therefore the lower weight and smaller dimensions of the Toshiba, coupled with lower power consumption swing it for me...


nick501 said:
Anyone here moved from an LCD to a Plasma screen. It'll be used 80% of the time for the 360 and never for normal TV watching.

What did you think? Does plasma give better picture? Any motion blur or smearing? What about screen burn? Is having to 'run in' a major pain?

I was leaning Heavily towards a Toshiba 37wlt66 but came across The panasonic 37px60 and it looks good and seems to have better reviews....

I have done a bit of searching on here but I would like comments from people who have specifically moved from large LCD screens to Plasma.

Thanks!
 

nick501

Distinguished Member
Pooon said:
Lightsider - in a word Panasonic. i have one, dodger has one, Kopite is getting one. I was going to get the Toshiba 37WLT66 but after using one for a week i am 100% certain getting a plasma was the better choice

How was the plasma better? what was wrong with the 37wlt66?

and yes the answer is becoming obvious.

your post carries the most weight as you say you've seen both in action.

And am i right not to worry about playing PGR3 for a few hours in one sitting as far as screen burn goes?
 

nick501

Distinguished Member
thanks to everyone for the replies, keep em coming.

and of course i've looked on the LCD/PLASMA forums do you think i'm a dummy or something???

they dont seem as interested to talk Xbox360 AND Plasma as much as on here!
 

Pooon

Distinguished Member
For the first 200 or so hours you need to run-in the panel so need to run it on lower brigtness and contrast. You can play PGR3 but not for extended periods and its also harder as parts of the track are quite dark, but once the run-in is over there are no problems. the Toshiba you mention is a great set and i'm not looking to knock it, but i got my local Currys to run the 360 on it with FN3 and the same on the Panny and the picture on the Panny was much more 'real', the pic on the Tosh was still pin sharp etc but more natural on the panny. Also for me anyway how the panel handles Football was very important and having watched Utd vs Chelsea on my mates Tosh i felt that although it was good the pic id seen on another mates Panny PV500(older model) was better at handling the Football.

Northerner, i think the 37px60 has a different res panel to the 42" one. The 37" is 1024*720. but not that it makes 2 bobs worth of difference, just thought i'd mention it.
 

bishman

Well-known Member
nick501 said:
And am i right not to worry about playing PGR3 for a few hours in one sitting as far as screen burn goes?
Nick I have two hi-def sets. A Panasonic 32" LCD and an Hitachi 42" plasma. Given a choice, the plasma is used for gaming every time.

Regarding run in, I'd be surprised if you had any issues with PGR3 if you keep the settings as suggested over in the plasma forums. The screen displays different things between races and so there isn't any image that is permanently on the screen. What I did during the run in was occasionally flip to a different input. When the screen goes off, you should see if there's any retention. I didn't ever notice any when playing normal 360 games. I remember playing call of duty for a few hours at a time and that never left any retention, even with the compass thing down in the bottom corner.

The only time I noticed any retention was after playing Joust for a half hour or so. That game has a quite bright surround that is there permanently while the game is on. It went away after a short while though.

Obvioulsy I would always advise caution but for general gameplay it shouldn't be an issue.
 

corh5

Active Member
I also have the Panasonic PX60, knocks spots off the Toshiba IMHO, my friend (who owns a Toshiba 37" LCD) and I spent a day doing a side by side test on Xbox 360, Sky HD and DVDs.

In short i was the happier person by the end of the day, especially comparing Sky HD, blow the Toshiba out of the water on that one.
 

corh5

Active Member
bishman said:
Nick I have two hi-def sets. A Panasonic 32" LCD and an Hitachi 42" plasma. Given a choice, the plasma is used for gaming every time.

Regarding run in, I'd be surprised if you had any issues with PGR3 if you keep the settings as suggested over in the plasma forums. The screen displays different things between races and so there isn't any image that is permanently on the screen. What I did during the run in was occasionally flip to a different input. When the screen goes off, you should see if there's any retention. I didn't ever notice any when playing normal 360 games. I remember playing call of duty for a few hours at a time and that never left any retention, even with the compass thing down in the bottom corner.

The only time I noticed any retention was after playing Joust for a half hour or so. That game has a quite bright surround that is there permanently while the game is on. It went away after a short while though.

Obvioulsy I would always advise caution but for general gameplay it shouldn't be an issue.

Yeah only game i seem to have problems with in relation to noticable retention is Hitman: Blood Money. The onscreen health display is far too bright.
 

Kopite4Ever

Active Member
From my experiences in viewing/demoing LCD's & Plasma's sorry to be brutal but plasma > lcd's nearly all the time.

Coming from a projector background it takes alot to wow me, not many if any lcd's did this overall.

One of the best images ive seen to date is from a panasonic PW4 SD plasma :eek: its a good 3 years old now maybe 4 but crikey it dosnt half output a stunning image.

LCD's just seem to washed out to me in the black level department from the one's ive seen and that includes the latest offerings from apprent best in the field toshiba,panasonic,sony. Thats not to say they are bad oh no im sure people are more than satisfied but me maybe im somewhat of a video eliteist but i couldnt live with one from day to day. Ive also never seen a lcd do flash tones properly which if your planning to watch tv now and again would do my nut in. This isnt a LCD bash post even though its starting to sound that way im just posting the harsh reality of what ive seen.

The one thing i want to scream at alot of ill informed people on this site is that more pixels DOES NOT make a better picture quality. People seem hung up over oh getting a 1080i/p panel as it will be better than the 1024x768 panels !?! If the picture processing and scaling engines in the machines are less than adequate all the pixels in the world wont make it a good image.

From popping 10 mins into the plasma forum some of the more tech savvy members will whole heartedly recommend the new plasma offering from fijitsu which by all accounts is simply stunning but its a panel not a tv so it may put people off.

Great thing about the new generation of plasma's especially panasonic is they are practically resistant to screen burn unless you really take the :censored: so for me that isnt an issue.

Im not saying LCD is bad no no no its infact the opposite but im just saying plasma is better :D
 

VILLAn66

Active Member
If you do a search, there have been a few (long) threads on this same subject in the 360 forums.

If you are asking for an opinion... I auditioned both technologies, and whilst the plasma had the slightly better picture quality, I went for a 40" LCD.

Why? Because I didn't want any concerns over image rention. Whilst many on here have never experienced it with their plasma... many more have, and I just didn't want the worry.

I can play any game I like, for however long I like without any worry whatsoever. And that is what swung it for me.

EDIT: Linky
 

The latest video from AVForums

Star Wars Andor, Woman King, more Star Trek 4K, Rings of Power & the latest TV, movies & 4K releases
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Latest News

Sonus faber unveils new flagship Arena speaker series
  • By Ian Collen
  • Published
Sharp showcases its upcoming 4K TV and audio line-up
  • By Ian Collen
  • Published
HiFi Rose announces all-in-one RS520 audio streamer
  • By Ian Collen
  • Published
What's new on Netflix (UK) for October 2022
  • By Ian Collen
  • Published

Full fat HDMI teeshirts

Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom