1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Plasma for a studio (NEC 42XM2)?

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs' started by Olg, Oct 18, 2004.

1. Olg

Olg

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi there,

I need a plasma for my music studio. The thing that matters most to me is that it is silent! I am interested in the NEC 42XM2, does anyone know if it is really silent? Other suggestions for really silent plasma´s?

2. Liam @ Prog AV

Liam @ Prog AV
    Well-known Member AVForums Sponsor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +827
    No plasma is dead silent since the circuits inside will buzz to some degree. Any plasma with XGA resolution has fans in it too! These things are barely noticeable in most conditions (although some have had problems with Hitachi and Panasonic regarding buzzing). If you need *absolute* silence you will have to install the panel behind soundproof glass for the studio, or use a projection system with the projector in a soundproof booth.

3. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Somewhere near the M4 most of the time......
    Ratings:
    +1,215
  4. Olg

Olg

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    thanks for your replies.

My studio is deadly silent, computers are in a separate room and I use Eizo L885 20.1 inch LCD panels which you really don't hear. Sadly I don´t have the possibility to place the plasma behind glass and I think a projector is always noisier...

Does anyone have suggestions for 'the most silent Plasma'. My retailer says it´s best to buy a pioneer 43MXE1 or the NEC I mentionned earlier. Is he right?

5. Dutch

Dutch

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +282
    Hi Olg,

My Pioneer 433MXE does not buzz, and I've never heard the fans operate either. I expect the newer MXE1 models will be similar. Hope this helps.

Steve

6. Joe Fernand

Joe Fernand
    Distinguished Member AVForums Sponsor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,592
    Olg

All displays have two (sometimes three) level of background noise.

Go close to the rear of any Display when its on and you'll get a 'generic' level of noise from the PSU; usually a steady low level buzz.

Now throw a bright image at a Display that's in 'dynamic' mode and the buzz will raise in volume depending on the overall brightness of the image being displayed - this 'noise' will vary as the on-screen image changes when running a Video source. If your in a studio with low ambient lighting you wont be 'driving' the Display at anywhere near full brightness so the level and intensity of this variable noise shouldn't be overly obtrusive.

If you can place some sound absorbing material on the walls at the rear of the display that may be a benefit for you.

Fan noise would also be a worry with some models - though the 43MXE1 Pioneer fans are only 'on' if the surrounding ambient temperature gets very hot (see Point 01 below).

Two other point to keep in mind:

01. Heat - these displays produce a fair amount of heat; if your studio's already quite hot you'll need air con/decent air changes; or if you have air con you'll need to take it 'up' a notch or two.

02. Video Delay - expect to have Audio ahead of Video with a Plasma as the Plasma Requires some processing time with Interlaced video; you'll need to factor in an Audio Delay to your Preview monitors.

If you deal with a Pioneer Multimedia/Professional Dealer rather than a 'Retailer' it should be possible to organise an 'on site' demo of an MXE1 to let you hear for yourself how loud they are - drop me a PM if you want details.

Best regards

Joe

7. Olg

Olg

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for your detailed reply!

I will ask for an on site demo and hear what it sounds like...