1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Plasma for 2k budget

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs' started by davegtt, Dec 22, 2004.

1. davegtt

davegtt
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Hi People, new to the forums and new to plasma TV's finally talked the misses into getting one but on a strict 2k budget, cant really go over that which is a shame but such is life eh.

Now Ive asked on a few forums Im a member off and the majority of answers I get back is spend more money otherwise dont bother as they are blocky, jumpy, suffer from burn in blah blah..... well thats off no use is it.

So I thought Id ask the experts... its gotta be wall mountable really. 42" preferable. Have an xbox, PS2 DVD player and NTL (digi tv) to connect to it..... anything else Im not too bothered about.... preferably to have speakers too. Is it worth it?

Seen Currys do a techwood with a tuner and seperate speakers, obviously this is budget stuff but my boss informs me all the screens are made by just 3 different companies so no matter what the brand is the screen will be OK it's just the electronics and working etc that are different....

So, any advice or thoughts I could mull over tonight?

Thanks

Dave

2. jasonl

jasonl

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    first off, im no expert, i just wanna share what ive learned from this forum
    also, its not a shame not being able to go over the 2K budget as most of the people here have the same kinda budget

as most of the experts here will tell you, avoid the Techwoods, Hyundais, Tinys etc.....the better panels are the ones made by Fujitsu, Panasonic, Pioneer, NEC and maybe Hitachi and LG

panasonic PWD7/PWD6, NEC VM5/VR5, LG PX11 all fits into your budget but to know which one works for you well is to get out there and demo these panels, much preferably from expert installers so they can give you proper demonstration on how they will perform when connected to your gears, though i doubt if you can see LG demoed by said installers

a lot have been said about these panels already (apart fromthe NECs) so do a search of the above mentioned models on the forums to learn more

hth

3. AV Junky

AV Junky

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +68
    Panny PW7 for this budget. They make their own panels, and arguably make the best ones in the standard definition arena. It is not just the panel either that makes the difference. The picture-processing electronics are also vital to the quality of the picture. These vary greatly between manufacturers.

4. RB5 Paul

RB5 Paul

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10
    have a look at the comet website and you could get a 37" viera panasonic for £1999 including the stand

5. davegtt

davegtt
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Thanks for the comments there guys, I'll start searching away now :)

RB5, another scoobynet browser maybe?

6. trafpol

trafpol

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Just took delivery of my Panny th37pe30 Viera :clap: got it including stand for £2000 from Powerhouse, Insurance cost a little extra. Still getting use to it, but it is tremendous

7. MAW

MAW
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +412
    Panasonic, Pioneer/NEC, Fujitsu/Hitachi, LG and Samsung make all the plasma glass in the world today. What Tiny, Currys (Techwood is an own brand, like Matsui) etc do is buy a job lot of old tech panels from Samsung (who these days, like LG are fighting their way slowly up market) and make them into cheap TV's with little regard for the quality of the finished product. Avoid if possible.

PS is this thread only for Scooby owners? Should we allow drivers of lesser cars to join?

8. davegtt

davegtt
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    lol.. another one?

lesser cars and better cars, all are welcome to join as Im after as much advice as possible ;)

9. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Somewhere near the M4 most of the time......
    Ratings:
    +1,215