Plasma & Football/Sport

doobds

Novice Member
I currently have a Panasonic 32" CRT set (which stills works fine -touch wood) and SKY+ SD and mainly use SKY for viewing. Our family are sports/football mad and therefore picture quality above all else matters.

I am debating about getting a 42" Plasma - the usual Panny PX70, Pioneer 4270, Samsung Q97 debate - I am leaning towards Panny but users seem to have issues with all three. I want the style and space saving elements of a Plasma, but not at the expense of worse picture quality.

One the one hand, I think sell my current Panny and get a Plasma replacement. On the other, I think wait till my current CRT gives up the ghost and hopefully in a few years, Plasma sets will be equal to or better than CRT technology - Will that ever be possible? Also I am not prepared at this stage to go the SKY HD route until they substantially reduce or remove the premium for the few HD channels that are broadcast.

I have seen limited SKY Football on Plasma sets, but it still seems quite ghosty/not smooth particularly around moving players - not sure if settings are wrong. Can anyboby tell me if it is possible to watch SKY Football/Sport in SD format on these Plasma sets and receive near CRT like quality. I am sure I am one of many who is still holding back as unsure about the picture quality on Plasma (and LCD) sets.

Advice appreciated

RayP

Hi,

The kit in my sig gives me very good PQ with all quality Sky broadcasts including football on SS1 & BBC. ITV is not as good but that's because their bitrate is lower and the reduced quality will be obvious on any type of TV.

Have a read of this thead as the author's requirements seem similar to yours. When you buy a quality panel and look after the signal as much as possible good SD pictures are not difficult to obtain. I'm with you over HD and will not move to it until that £10 charge is dropped. My lounge has really opened up since I removed my 32" JVC CRT and I've never regretted the switch.

http://www.avforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=600865

Plasma leaves LCD standing when it comes to fast moving action like football. I watch a lot of footie and the quality is fine :thumbsup:

dazza74

Novice Member
I currently have a Panasonic 32" CRT set (which stills works fine -touch wood) and SKY+ SD and mainly use SKY for viewing. Our family are sports/football mad and therefore picture quality above all else matters.

I am debating about getting a 42" Plasma - the usual Panny PX70, Pioneer 4270, Samsung Q97 debate - I am leaning towards Panny but users seem to have issues with all three. I want the style and space saving elements of a Plasma, but not at the expense of worse picture quality.

One the one hand, I think sell my current Panny and get a Plasma replacement. On the other, I think wait till my current CRT gives up the ghost and hopefully in a few years, Plasma sets will be equal to or better than CRT technology - Will that ever be possible? Also I am not prepared at this stage to go the SKY HD route until they substantially reduce or remove the premium for the few HD channels that are broadcast.

I have seen limited SKY Football on Plasma sets, but it still seems quite ghosty/not smooth particularly around moving players - not sure if settings are wrong. Can anyboby tell me if it is possible to watch SKY Football/Sport in SD format on these Plasma sets and receive near CRT like quality. I am sure I am one of many who is still holding back as unsure about the picture quality on Plasma (and LCD) sets.

Advice appreciated
I still use my old Philips CRT for freeview and last generation gaming I wall mounted the plasma so still have the space in the living room and don't like to part with something that still works. Anyway basically in answer to your question I'm quite happy watching football on my plasma I certainly don't find it enough of a compromise and prefer watching MOTD on the plasma due to the size than the CRT. If you don't wish to go down the SKY HD route there are more affordable option for getting some HD content like the Pace DS810XE around £100 which will get the BBC HD channel (the england game was great the other night in HD)

The latest video from AVForums

Panasonic HZ2000 OLED TV Review: The best OLED for movie viewing in 2020
Top Bottom