Plasma floor stands and a second mortgage

Phil_Yeoman

Standard Member
Reaction score
As a guy who have never been shy when it comes to investing in quality equipment I have actually found a product class that I can not justify the expense.

Plasma floor stands ie one's that actually connect to the plasma are quite possibly the most over priced pieces of equipment on sale in the AV sector.

How can, for example Unicol (Have used their very reasonable wall mounts for years) Justify a price tag of £695 for the Axia Home Plasma floor stand with two glass shelves.

I have looked into the materials cost to build a very robust floor stand and in total it comes to £70. A local fabricator can build one for £180 and to be honest this guy is one of the most expensive in the area.

The only explanation I can come up with is that this market is still commercal outlet focused where things are a little less price sensative!

Phil

You think those prices are bad...what about Sony's floating glass floor stand for their plasma...you are looking at over £2000 for one of those and not a shelf in sight !!!

The wall brackets are not much better price wise either.

Cheers, Lee

Hi Phil,

I'm in a similar position. I'm looking for a stand with a single central column that will
take 2 or 3 shelves, preferably glass. The Unicol Axia Lo-Level fits the bill, except
for the price ticket. Unicol Axia
front2.jpg

I've also looked at SMS in Sweden and their F 1150 looks OK, except the shelves
are not glass.
SMS F 1150

I've emailed SMS for a price, but I gather from a different thread on AV Forums that
they may be even pricier than Unicol.
115_m.jpg

Does anyone know of alternatives to these that would be worth looking at?

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom