1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Plasma Extended warranty is it worth it

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs' started by haujobbz, Jun 26, 2003.

1. haujobbz

haujobbz

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +90
    Im thinking whether to get xtra cover for my panny plasma or not, i havent phoned panasonic yet because they may be more expensive than 3rd party coverplans.

Have any of you extended your warranty and how much did it set you back, also i wonder if after say a year and a half you decide to go for cover it will be more expensive.:rolleyes:

2. delta

delta
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Would you really buy something if you thought it was going to pack-up after one year? Chances are that a plasma will not. Are you likely to keep it for more than, say, three years? If not, I would say do not buy an extended warranty. Chances are, if something is going to fail, then it will do so within the first month.

3. haujobbz

haujobbz

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +90
    I completely agree, i have never liked salemen trying to sell me coverplans i usually think its an insult to a good brand product. :rolleyes:

4. GETanner

GETanner

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +76
    Here's a tip.

Mail in your standard warrenty card but do not purchase an extended warranty.

As your standard warranty comes to an end, you will find a letter arriving, most likely from Domestic and General Insurance, offerering an extended warrany and it'll be half the price of the one you got offered at where ever you got the product to begin with!

Also, check with your household insurance, it may be worth increasing your premiums with them to cover ALL your expensive kit and it will still be cheaper than buying an extended warranty for each product.

Also, don't forget the protection offered by the Sale and Supply of Goods to Consumers Regulations 2002 that came into force on 31 March 2003. A good guide can by found here http://www.dti.gov.uk/ccp/topics1/guide/saleshort.pdf

A good general guide to the Law regarding the Sale and Supply of Goods and Services (both for the consumer and retailer) can be found here http://www.dti.gov.uk/ccp/topics1/saleandsupply.htm

One further tip is to try and pay for at least £100.00 on a credit (not debit) card as this will give you further rights under the Credit Consumer Act, basically the credit card company becomes equally and severably liable for the goods as well as the retailer. It's amazing how helpful Dixons can be when Barclaycard are chasing them instead of little ol' consumers ;) .

Guy

5. Party Animal

Party Animal

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    Here,s another Tip buy your Plasma from John Lewis or Allders and get aprice match from a bricks and mortar shop

and sit smiling cos you will get a free 5 year Guarantee,, I sleep much easier knowing that if it goes belly up ..I,m covered

6. delta

delta
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Household insurance will usually cover for accidental damage but not faults which develop after the first year. Waiting for an offer from D&G is a better idea because they do have fair premiums. I never keep anything more than two years, so extended warranites are not required by me, although I guess having one could help sell an item. Then again, if the selling price is fair and the product is in excellent condition, it should sell itself.

7. eMonk

eMonk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    What if you accidentally drop the plasma display when you are rehanging it after decorating?

8. CrumpetMan

CrumpetMan
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Do you really want a 3k claim on your household insurance? What is that going to do to your next years premium? At least with an extended warranty you can get it fixed as many times as required and you don't have to pay extra the following year.

9. CrumpetMan

CrumpetMan
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    I've just had a look at www.domgen.co.uk and got a quote of under £300 for a 4 year warranty on a £3k tv which is less than 12 months old. There was no option to specify plasma and I couldn't see anything which said that TV did not include plasma. That looks like a good price to me, certainly better than the thomson 3 year warranty (standard 1 year plus 2 to extend it to 3) for £500!

Has anyone had any experience with domestic and general?

10. delta

delta
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    My household insurance premium remained unchanged when I told them I wished to include a £5K plasma!

11. mrv

mrv
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Point of interpretation I think. If you have a Plasma monitor to which you supply the necessary feeds to display a TV picture then they may be right to argue that you really do not have a TV - so you may buy cover for something you don't have!!

On the other hand if you have an integrated solution then maybe that could be called a TV (in their terminology) but I don't now how a seperate tuner box would affect it.

Mike

12. CrumpetMan

CrumpetMan
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    It was bought as a TV not as a monitor with tuner. I think I'll have to phone/email them to check as they had Thomson spelt with a p anyway so that would be wrong.

Regarding adding something which costs 3k to your home insurance, I didn't mean that it would increase your premium but that if it broke and you dropped it down the stairs and claimed accidental damage, don't you think that making a claim for 3k would then increase next years premium quite significantly? I know it would do with motor insurance.

13. john kelly

john kelly

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    mate i called them and they told me no cover on plasma, then i said i know of people who have taken out cover with them and they said as soon as it is sent for repair the cover plan would be void so mate get your money back.:thumbsdow

14. lurcher

lurcher

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +198
    Re the last post, I got an online quote after putting in the Panny plasma model number. I emailed them telling them this was a Plasma and got a reply stating they do not cover Plasma screens.

15. CrumpetMan

CrumpetMan
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    The box for model number on the online quote doesn't make any difference to the quote you get. I notice they have a drop down option for LCD TV so it seems a bit strange they don't cover plasma too.

I haven't applied for cover with them yet, it just seemed like a much better price than all the online retailers I've seen.

Someone must do a decent warranty for plasmas.

16. mikeq

mikeq

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Guys,

Is there not some confusion between Insurance cover and Warranty cover.

Surely Insurance covers things like dropping it, playing indoor golf etc (this would not be covered by a warranty, true?)

Warranty covers things like faulty parts, things going wrong with the screen etc (this would not be covered by Insurance, true?)

So surely you would want to have both a warranty and insurance.

and I would imagine if you claimed £3k on your household insurance that next years premium would go up, but nowhere near the cost of a replacement plasma.

Mike

17. CrumpetMan

CrumpetMan
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    I think the people who are favouring insurance are thinking that, if something goes wrong with their plasma out of warranty that they'll drop it down the stairs and claim t was an accident whilst moving it to a different room.

18. haujobbz

haujobbz

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +90
    Yeh someone must provide cover at a decent price,otherwise i will wait till domestic and general contact me about extended cover ohh i wonder how much it will be:confused:

19. gpedder

gpedder
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I saw a report in a paper or mag a while ago about extended warranties, as it happens the chances of a tv going wrong are extremely small. like 2-3%

I wouldnt bother, the only reason they want to sell you this cover is to get their commision.

And insurance companies will always try to wiggle their way out of a legit claim with their small print and legal know-how.

20. chrise

chrise

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +46
    It is interesting that none of the warranty insurers will cover plasmas within their normal policies which implies that their underwriters think that claims will be high ie plasmas are unreliable and/or very expensive to repair. Time will tell if they are correct. Rumours of cover being extended have not happened yet.

The Sale of Goods Act does provide limited protection but really only covers faults present at the time of purchase. The new regulations from March 31st changed the onus of proof to the retailer where faults appear in the first six months rather than the buyer. After 6 months you will have to prove on the balance of probabilities that the fault was present from the start or that the goods are not of suitable quality which is easier said than done. If you have to go to court allow for 3 months without your beloved plasma if you win!

Your action is against the retailer which can be challenging if they are an internet box shifter, the Consumer Credit Act extends your rights to the credit company (issuer of the credit card or the bank making the loan) and is useful but it still takes a longtime.

My day job involves helping people make these claims - I bought a plasma from John Lewis for their 5 year guarentee- go figure

21. lmccauley

lmccauley

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +212
    Chris,

It could be that the underwriters don't yet have enough statistics on plasma failure rates, so they quote higher rates to cover their greater risk.

Cheers,
    Liam

22. chrise

chrise

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +46
    Agreed but the fact that at least one company has not offered cover when they announced they were going to looks a little fishy.

23. delta

delta
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I agree, so if anyone is really so concerend about the reliability of a plasma panel, then don't buy one! Just hope your alternative purchase remains fault free! As I said earlier, my household insurance covers me for accidental damage without affecting my premium.

A few years ago I had a Philips RP tv with a 46" screen which I ACCIDENTALLY damaged. They paid up, £600!!! To save further expense I fitted the replacement screen myself. My premium actually reduced the next year! Warranties are a con and it would be interesting to find out what percentage are actually claimed against.

24. steve36

steve36

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +28
    According to a selfridges sales person the new sale of goods act states something to the affect that the product must last a reasonable period of time.
    This period is undefined, but IMO can be assumed to be up to 6 years.
    I suspect that in court this would be dependant upon the price point of the product.
    In the case of a PLASMA I would argue a minimum of 3 years,maybe more, as a reasonable lifespan.
    In the case of a recent 20" kitchen TV I purchased for £100 (from Sainsburys !), I would suspect that 1 year was more than reasonable.

Steve

25. haujobbz

haujobbz

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +90
    Have any of you who own a panasonic plasma been sent entended cover options from domestic and general when your warranty was about to become void.

Also if my plasma went faulty theres no way i would use yellow pages to find a repairer because i would probably never see it again:rolleyes: