1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

>> Plasma - Extended Warranties <<

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs' started by Yen, Sep 8, 2003.

1. Yen

Yen

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Dear All,

I'm planning to buy my new Panasonic TH-42PW6 plasma very soon, and I don't usually buy extended warranties on any of my kit but I was wondering what you guys thought of the idea of purchasing an extended warranty.

On an expensive piece of kit such as this (£3K), the extended warranty costs follow suit - I've seen it for around £500 for 1+2 years, and £900 for 1+4 years. The only place which offers a decent ext. warranty is Richer Sounds (£250 for 3 years) but they are yet to stock the 6 series.

What is the realiability of the Panasonic plasma models like in general and does anyone think that ext. warranty is worth purchasing?

2. JAMBO

JAMBO

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi Yen,
    Have a look at the First Impressions - Hitachi 42PD3000 post (about 10 entries below this one). John Lewis do a free 5 year warranty with all plasmas and also do a local pricematch - which is a win/win situation for us buyers. As stated in my post there, I got them to knock £500 off the Hitachi, as a pricematch, and also got the free 5 year warranty.
    Curry's and Dixon's are looking for £1,299 for a 5 year warranty, whilst Comet are "only" looking for £1,199.
    John Lewis's free warranty doesn't cover accidental damage, but my existing home contents insurance does. I advise you to check your home contents insurance and upgrade to include accidental damage if required. It should only cost you £2 or £3 a month extra, at the most. Which is a lot less than £1,200 to Curry's !!

3. MAW

MAW
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +412
    But JL don't sell the PW6.... Too complicated for them, they only sell tellys. Richer are selling euro imports, they have no Panasonic uk account. Therefore read the small print on the warranty, make sure they are offering loan exchange, cos Panasonic won't be. Can't think of any other reason not to buy euro though, loads of totally unwarranted flak about it, I can't understand why the dealers don't come clean about it.

4. Yen

Yen

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for the replies.

What's the general consensus on buying (pricey) extended warranties though on plasmas?

5. MAW

MAW
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +412
    They're as reliable as any onther modern electronics. On panasonics, the only component I've known fail is the power suppy, then usually it's been a 50". The part is a couple of hundred, carriage and fitting on top. Perhaps others can relate horror stories about breakdown, but not me, and I've seen and abused many (rental screens). So the £900 Currys want seems excessive!

6. deman77

deman77
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    regarding JL, they are stocking pw5b, so it's just the matter of time they strat stocking pw6b.

there was a statement in one thread that they only give extended warranty for screens which come with tuners (they then call them TV), otherwise it's considered PC monitor and no 5yr warranty. Can anyone confirm this? Or, alternatively, can anyone say they've got 5yr warr plasam from JL when buying without tuner box or builtin tuner.

7. MAW

MAW
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +412
    JL used to use Domestic and General, don't know if that's still the case. They will sell you an extended warranty. They're good, or used to be, no quibbles over my freezer anyway! They want just under £300 for 4 more years. I think that's pretty good.D & G

8. deman77

deman77
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    A reply I got from D&G

Thank you for your e-mail.

Unfortunately, we are unable to offer cover on Plasma Screen televisions at present

If you have any further questions then please contact us again by e-mail, or alternatively call us on 0870 6075566 (24hrs).

Kind regards,

The WebSupport Team
    Domestic & General
    www.domgen.com

a TV worth 3K would indeed come up with that quote but they want let you do plasma.