1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Plasma extended warranties?

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs' started by leeb, Apr 24, 2003.

1. leeb

leeb

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +52
    Thinking about purchasing a 32" Hitachi plasma and I can get it for £2350 inc delivery from Sound & Vision online which is obviously a very good price. I can also get it from my local Allders store for £2999 which includes 5 year warranty. Now, is it worth paying the extra £650 for the warranty? I have noticed that the price for warranties available from online retailers are very expensive (£1,399.92 for 5 years from Empire Direct, £899 from PRC etc.). Are plasmas not very reliable, very expensive to repair or are these extended warranties a rip-off? What's everyone else done with regards to warranties for their plasma?

Thanks.

2. wilber

wilber

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +30
    As of today, I can't find anyone willing to cover a plasma. However I spoke to Warranties Direct (http://www.warrantydirect.co.uk/ ) on tuesday and they told me that they expected to be starting to offer cover by the end of April.

Best bet as of now is to buy from John Lewis (I believe there is one in Nottingham) & price match. Crampton & Moore in sheffied have the Hitachi 32pd3000 at £2500 on their web site so that's a good starting point,

good hunting let us know how you get on - I'll be after one in May.

3. Branxx

Branxx
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Take into account that after 3 years a £2,500 plasma screen will be forth £600 at most. If you pay now £600 to extend warranty the economy is the same as tif you traw away your plasma after 3 years and just buy new one.

4. loz1

loz1
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Only if it lasts 3 years ! If it was to have a problem after 18 months I'm not sure you'll get much for £600. For peace of mind I'd definately go with the extended warranty via the JL pricematch.

Lawrence

5. bugaloo

bugaloo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I paid £2499 (incl VAT and Delivery) for the 32pd3000 @ John Lewis Oxford st. The 5 year warranty made the transation a no brainer. JL Cheadle at the time had it at that price, so the price match took 5mins and I had it delivered in 2 weeks. Generally found JL to have a strange pricing policy. Every store had it at a different price. Found JL Newcastle and Cheadle to be the cheapest generally for most things.

6. leeb

leeb

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +52
    Thanks for the advice guys, I guess JL is the answer! Would it matter that the Nottingham branch didn't have it in store?

7. harrisuk

harrisuk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +58
    I got my Plasma from Richer Sounds. Lg Screens come with a two year warranty anyway. And I extended for another two years for £250. 4 year warranty sounds good enough to me.

Best bit. If you dont use the warranty you can get the £250 refunded. So you get the benefit of low price and reasonable warranty cover.

In 4 years I will be bored with it anyway and want something new. It can go in the Kitchen or something.

8. loz1

loz1
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Richer Sounds with the extended warranty is the option I'm looking at as I'm interested in the panasonic or pioneer. They don't stock Hitachi though.

Lawrence

9. miniman

miniman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    john lewis is the best I've found. free five year and a price match, good service too

10. harrisuk

harrisuk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +58
    But they only sell with the Tuner boxes now and will only price match on this basis! And you try to get them to price match Plasma screens these days.

Very hard to get them to do it. They will do just about anything not to. Last I heard the common view was they wont price match internet prices and will only do if this item is proved to be in stock.

Not only this the last time a friend tried it, after arguing with the guy a number of times proving the screen was in stock he said he would do it but only "Like for Like"

That is the place selling cheaper only offered the standard 1 year warranty on Tosh panels. Therefore JL would only give 1 year warranty being at their discretion in price match situations.

Personally I think the JL price match thing is a little bit of a myth these days. Very much down to luck although plenty of people on here have pulled it off in the past.

They are certainly not the push over they used to be !

11. mikeblanche

mikeblanche

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    harrisuk - note that the RS plasma warranty is NOT refundable if you don't use it.

It is a different warranty to their "supercare" in that respect.

mike

12. harrisuk

harrisuk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +58
    Not when you are sold it by an idiot who says it is refundable and you take a print out from their website which does not have this exclusion mentioned (As I did at the time).

It also does not say it is non refundable on the certificate I have. Another point. All the other Warranty products they sell are refundable. You see the possible confusion. Trust me, if I dont use it I will get the cash back. Not many people get away with miselling something to me if what you say is correct.

They have to be very careful selling warranty products these days. They are now becoming or soon to become regulated under the new version of the GISC. Can be big penalities for mis selling.

In my experience they will fold like a pack of cards if I threaten them with SCC over it. In any event even if you cant get it refunded it is an absolute bargain at £250.

13. harrisuk

harrisuk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +58
    Mike

And they have still not changed it on the website....

http://www.richersounds.co.uk/index.php?f=supercare.htm

Full text below. Just cant get away with it with things like this when they are in the public domain. In no way is it clear that the Plasma Warranty is not refundable. No way it would stand up under examination if they tried to get out it.

I worked in retail for quite a while. Not the sort of thing you can get out of really. But great you brought this to the forum. Any one wants a refundable Plasma Warranty get in before they change it / make it clear it is not refundable ?

"The best “free” extended guarantee offer EVER!

If you haven’t taken advantage of our amazing Supercare cover by the time it expires, then simply return the form within one month of that date and we will happily refund its full purchase value.

Most Extended Guarantees are a RIP OFF!
    You may have read about the Office of Fair Trading’s investigation into extended warranties in the national press. We hereby invite them to investigate ours because, we know, it’s by far the best package on the market and represents amazing value for money!

Includes 3 or 5 year cover plus...
    • Free Loan Machine
    • Free Routine Servicing/Maintenance Checks
    • Up to 50% Buyback Guarantee
    • 30 Day Cooling-off Period
    • Full refund if unused

FROM ONLY £9.99

Compare our prices with the competition...

--------------------------------------------------

£9.99
    SUPERCARE PACKAGE
    (5 year cover for £19.95)

Covers: CD players up to £100, DVD Players up to £100, Receivers and AV electronics up to £150, Portable TV’s, Amplifiers, Cassette decks, Speakers, Tuners, Turntables, Sub-woofers up to £200. (excludes DJ Gear and Portables)

£19.95
    SUPERCARE PACKAGE
    (5 year cover for £39.95)

Covers: CD players over £100, DVD Players over £100, Receivers and AV electronics
    over £150, Sub-woofers over £200, CD recorders up to £300, Minidisc decks, 5 speaker AV packages. (excludes DJ Gear and Portables)

£29.95
    SUPERCARE PACKAGE
    (5 year cover for £59.95)

Covers: CD Recorders over £300, DVD Players over £300 and DVD Recorders.

£199.95
    PLASMA WARRANTY

Covers: Plasma Screens under £2500

£250.00
    PLASMA WARRANTY

Covers: Plasma Screens over £2500

NOTE: Supercare and Plasma Warranty does not cover commercial, professional or semi-professional use."

14. mikeblanche

mikeblanche

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I take your point about the idiot. :) Unfortunately the non-idiot who sold me mine said it wasn't refundable, and I don't think you can use the fact that it "doesn't say on the warranty you don't get your money back" as a reason - it also doesn't say on the warranty that I can't make the repair guy turn up naked but that doesn't mean he has to!

I agree the web site is still ambiguous, even though they've changed the prices on the warranty (199 for plasmas less than 2500 pounds).

Anyway good luck on getting your money back - they'll probably just roll over and give it to you rather than fight you for it.

mike

15. kenny.c

kenny.c

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Im in the same boat, do i extend for another 1 or 2 years? Is it worth it??

What have others on the forum who have already bought think??

Please post and give us non owners your opions??

16. Luc

Luc
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    I'm kinda in the same boat, but had a refreshing opionin from a sales person today. Was in Audio-T demoing a Panasonic 42", and both the sales guys there said that the warantees weren't worth it. Rekon they've sold loads of panasonic plasmas and haven't had 1 returned yet. I kinda agreed with their point that electronics don't wear out - they either fail within a week or a month, or work perfectly until they're 10 years old.

I don't think i'll bother, and then if i've got some spare cash in 12 months, i'll take out the 3 year warantee (although it'll only be worth 2 years by then.)

17. harrisuk

harrisuk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +58
    Well it is up to you. But they would say that wouldnt they ? Especially when most places sell a two year Plasma warranty for £600. Hard to sell em. I have had two faulty Plasma screens already. Honestly. Check my previous posts. And look at the number of other people who say they have had problems.

To spend £3000 and get 12 months warranty sounds like pure madness to me when you can buy from RS and get a cheap deal and another 2 years for £200. Or pay more and get a 5 year warranty from John Lewis,.

This is just my opinion. But we are not talking about a £100 portable here.

You pay your money and take your chances. But I wont be. I will be getting 4 years out of mine at least. These things arent as reliable as you would think in my experience.

18. miniman

miniman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    I guess I've been lucky with john lewis then as I have just ordered a 503 mxe with a 5 year warranty at a very good price.
    But saying that i have a friend who only sells panasonics and he reckons he has only had one returned and that was within a month.
    Of course at the end of the day if you take out the extended warranty and don't use it you will feel you wasted money, but If you don't get one and need it you will kick yourself for not taking one out. but the choice and the end of the day is yours

19. leeb

leeb

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +52
    How can RS offer a plasma warranty for £250 when others charge 3 times as much? I could live with £250.

20. harrisuk

harrisuk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +58
    Because they are happy to make £50 on it instead of £400 ?
    Bit like Car warranties, its where there is potential to make big money for little or no work or risk.

Well as I said before they would say return rates are low especially when these things cost £3000. I have had two faulty ones anyway so I am happy to pay £250 to give me a 4 year warranty. If people are happy to pay £3000 for something that might die after 12 months fair enough.

Another point to remember with these things. They arent like CRT. Not much you can service in a Plasma panel. If the screen goes it is normally a write off.

21. Big L

Big L

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Harrisuk

I'm afraid you won't get your money back from RS as Plasma Screens are not covered by their 'Supercare' scheme.

If you have a closer look at their Website you will notice that plasma screens are covered by a "Plasma Warranty" that is different from the Supercare cover, which is for other items.

Also, the Plasma Warranty is for a further 2 years beyond the manufacturers standard 1 year warranty making a total of 3 years in all, not 4 years as you seem to think!!!

However, I still think that £250 for a 3 year Warranty is well worth it, even without the refund at the end of the period.

Laurence White

22. mikeblanche

mikeblanche

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The LG screen harrisuk has comes with a 2 year warranty as standard, so adding the RS warranty comes to 4 years.

23. Luc

Luc
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Kinda on topic, but i've seen that a lot of places offer a 2 year RTB warrantee with the Toshiba 42" (Panasonic clone) - anyone know if this is standard with the Toshiba, or is it down to the retailers? I might sacrifice the charcoal Panasonic for the silver Toshiba if it means a year's more peace of mind.

24. harrisuk

harrisuk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +58
    LG Plasma Screen come with a two year on site warranty as standard. So it is £250 for a 4 year warranty as I originally said. Its the Tosh screens that only come with one year warranty.

And you are right it is listed as a plasma warranty on their site but no distinction is made between the warranties.

As I said before It is unclear on their site and has been mis sold to me in my opinion. But we have already had this argument.

If I can be bothered I will get my money back on it. Trust me. Insurance and financial products are not something retailers will normally risk an argument on especially if you do it right.

25. delta

delta
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Why do so many people assume that something WILL go wrong? It is highly unlikely and if it does the odds are that it will happen within the first couple of weeks! I have never bought an extended warranty simply because I consider them to be a rip-off. I have never regretted not doing so and, in any case, I am not likely to keep an item for long enough anyway, the technology changing so fast as it does. If a salesmean is pushy, ask him how many of the items have been returned under warranty. If he says many have, then don't buy the item. If he says, a few or none, then don't buy the warranty.

26. harrisuk

harrisuk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +58
    I take your point. And I dont usually buy them either. They are usually a rip off. But these things are £3000. And I want at least 4 years out of a tv costing £3000.

And they are so realiable I have had a Plasma screen since the end of December and I am on my third panel. Do a search on these forums. Loads of people going on about faulty panels.

You pay the money and take a chance. But I am getting 4 years at least out of mine for an extra £250 that is fine by me.

I have said this loads of times before. Anyone spending £3000 on a screen with only one years warranty is either so rich it dosnt matter or has a load of bottle as far as I am concerned.

27. Luc

Luc
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Count me in on the bottle front then. Nothing quite like spending £3.5k on a thursday afternoon...

But i might buy the 3 year warranty at the end of the 12 months, when i've got some more money. It's only worth two years then, but at least my mind will be at ease for a bit longer...

28. delta

delta
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    "Loads of people" may compalin about plasma, but even more complain about projectors, CRT tv's, LCD, etc and hundreds of thousands don't even complain at all because they are happy with their lot! The odds of a fault developing with any product are so low that you are very unlucky if it happens to you. Which manufacturer is going to sell a product if it is not reliable? My household insurance, (which many people overlook), covers my gear for accidental damage. I am not "rich" but I don't throw money away either.

29. harrisuk

harrisuk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +58
    Well as I said I am on my third panel in less than 6 months. I am very happy with the screen I now have.

But as I said £200 in £3000 is nothing. Bearing in mind Plasma panels are not really servicable I think most people would be pretty upset if their Plasma screen died after 12 months and they had not taken up the option for another 2 years warranty for £200. No ?

30. briandzo

briandzo
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    buy any product with your barclaycard
    and they will give u 1 year extra warranty free.