1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Plasma experts,your help please

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs' started by MrFurious, Jul 3, 2004.

1. MrFurious

MrFurious

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,556
    ok,i am saving for a plasma...but know nothing about them,i want a panasonic and will have about £2500 to spend,could someone tell me a good model and what i will need,people keep telling me that plasmas will only last a few years before they become faulty???!!!!
    I will be putting the plasma in my living room which is pretty big and will use it for watching dvds and tv,so any help please :smashin:

2. Baz80

Baz80

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    i am a novice to plasma but recently bought a Panasonic 37'' viera which is terrific i've had none of the problems the guys on this forum talk about and picture quality has been flawless especially on dvd but with the added advantage of built in digital freeview im able to recored two programs on sky+ and my girlfriend can still watch big brother, and thats worth the price alone mind you i went for the cabinet as well and that was expensive if you have a big room go for the 42'' version my rooms small and all you need are good cables

3. cyrus-t

cyrus-t

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +16
    I must admit there's a lot of sad folk on this forum quick to jump on any comments or questions you make and seem to enjoy trying to make you sound stupid - don't worry about them.

If you want my advice, always shop around, always get a viewing of what you are buying (even if it means taking some of your kit in to wire in to the demo plasma) - that way you will see exactly how it will perform .... don't rely on how they have magically got it wired.
    Make a deal that , if you get it home, and it don't do what you want, that you can send it back.

My experience with high street stores is that if you push them, they will do what you want, but they cannot give you good advice - that, you will have to learn yourself.....
    I would be reluctant to buy a plasma from a shop that, if the worst were to happen, I couldn't as a last resort visit them in person / face-to-fact to sort it out.

Read these forums - there's a lot of good advice - but ignore the sad forum warriors!

4. nictry

nictry

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +597
    Having just made my plasma purchase I agree with the above poster, make your own judgements, go to local shops and demo the screens you like, take your own DVDs (the ones you know will show off the best picture etc.) don't feel guilty about viewing in one store who you know you can buy cheaper elsewhere, you can always negotiate for them to lower prices, if not then walk away and buy cheaper elsewhere. Look on the forums for good suppliers (particularly with reference to customer service/after sales, if you are spending in excess of 2-3k you need to feel safe that if anything happens you will be ok! Also check extended warranties, they can vary between £170-£5-600 for the same extra 2 years so factor that in to the purchase price.

I am so pleased with my Panasonic it looks great (and it is only warming up so all the settings are nice and low at the moment), I put mine on the wall as for me part of the reason to buy a plasma was to get rid of the obligatory huge cabinet in the front room! Good Luck

5. TheBigApple

TheBigApple

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    Any electronic device could last anywhere between a few days or a few years. However I think the general opinion is that a plasma screen will last aproximately 15 years.

Buying a plasma screen can be quite daunting but a little research is recommended. When spending such a large amount of money I think the most important thing is to get the model which is right for you, and not the model which is the most popular.

The first thing you have to decide is what type of plasma screen you want. There are two main types of screen.

1. Plasma TV. This is essentially the same as a standard tv. i.e. tuner,scart sockets, speakers etc. Ideal if you want a soloution that will work straight out the box.

http://www.avland.co.uk/pioneer/pdp434/pdp-434hde.htm

2. Plasma Monitor. This is a screen only and connections are usually made via commercialy available connectors and convertors. These screens are considered to give a better picture quality and can be upgraded by means of additional components.

http://www.avland.co.uk/pioneer/pdp43mxe1/pdp-43mxe1.htm

Once you decide which option is right for you, then it will be easier to recommend some models to you.

6. MrFurious

MrFurious

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,556
    thanks for the advice guys,much appreciated,i made a phone call ealier to a friend who owns his own tv store and he deals exclusivly with panasonic and he asked me to come in and have a look at a few models,so the cart is in motion :clap: