Plasma experience required please pioneer vs panny

neilbutler

Standard Member
Reaction score
Had a look at the pwd 8 on the tinterwebnet, but following MAW's invaluable advice took my azz over to see some screens (Actually Richer Sounds in leicester) They didn't have the pwd 8 but the 7 (apparently new out ?!?!?) for 999 plus a board (scrat only) plus wall mount comes to about 1300 notes.

Then I saw the Pioneer PDP43MXE1, its a bit more (2100 all in with bracket) but comes with all the imputs. and it seemed to be an impressive sight.

Does anyone have any pro or con advice on these two screens, experience with them (the pioneer has a much higher resolution)

Also the Pioneer has a dvi input, but no HDMI, is this a simple lead conversion or something more sinister.

My Sources

Sky+
Xbox
Pioneer DVD (not progressive scan but upgrading asap)

Many Many thanks :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Hi

I bought a Pioneer PDP43XDE a few months ago for approx 2.7K delivered. This included the full length black speakers (I feel they look a lot smarter than those smaller silver ones you can get?). I bought the cable and wall bracket from 7oaks for about £250. Now I was in Costco in Aberdeen last weekend and I saw my TV for £2.3k, not sure what was included, didn't want to dwell :(
Worth looking into though as the XDE is from all my research the topboy.
HDMI and photo gallery :D . Also worth noting if your hanging plasma on the wall, the XDE only has 3 cables from underneath the Plasma that you run into your receiver box. I believe Panny may have more, although I must stress I only heard that, it's not a fact.

Arra best!

Gregg :thumbsup:

MXE1 is best for scalers and HTPC users. It produces an amazing image fed most signals, but it is best when being fed from something like a Lumagen scaler or a Media PC. However for standalone use it has a few drawbacks. I don't rate the analogue connections too highly (whereas with PC or scaler it's all converted through the DVI input) and the DVI input is not HD compliant (it will *not* understand video resolutions, and does *not* have HDCP capablility to show copyrighted material).

If you liked the Pioneer picture though, wait a week or two then go out and see their new 436XDE - WOW this thing is gonna be popular!! 3000:1 contrast up from the 1200:1 on the MXE1 you saw (4000:1 on the 50"), but with same highly impressive colour accuracy and brightness. It's a TV model with media box rather than sockets on the screen, but the media box has 3 scarts, 2 HDMIs, component video, freeview tuner.

So not ideal for feeding S-video into then. hmm. How much is the 436XDE likely to be, any ideas? What also drem me to the pioneer screen (and the pwd7/8 is that I dont need speakers (have a 5.1 channel Home Cinema setup) or tuner (no aerial on the house even!) and so I felt I was getting more screen for my money. Naive?

Hi Liam,

have you already seen the 6G Pios in person?

Do you know whether they accept native rate progressive over HDMI in 50Hz and 60Hz?

Thanks!

No not the best for s-video I'm afraid. TBH you shouldn't be running s-video with those sources anyway, Pioneer DVD wants component or RGB scart, Sky+ RGB scart, XBox component or RGB scart (needs optional cable).

The XDE is a TV, and yes I do normally prefer to just go for a monitor although the new XDE really is something else hence I think it's worth the wait. I'm not allowed to mention pricing but you can find some on our site. I actually chopped a bit off the end of my first post by accident though about the Panasonic. THe 42PHD8 (rather than PWD8) is the same resolution as the MXE1, and the 3-slot architecture allows for your choice of input terminals including a HD Ready HDMI socket (7 series HDMI is however NOT HD Ready).

madshi said:
Hi Liam,

have you already seen the 6G Pios in person?

Do you know whether they accept native rate progressive over HDMI in 50Hz and 60Hz?

Thanks!
Will be next week. Severely doubt native res at 50Hz though...

Liam @ Prog AV said:
MXE1 is best for scalers and HTPC users. It produces an amazing image fed most signals, but it is best when being fed from something like a Lumagen scaler or a Media PC. However for standalone use it has a few drawbacks. I don't rate the analogue connections too highly (whereas with PC or scaler it's all converted through the DVI input) and the DVI input is not HD compliant (it will *not* understand video resolutions, and does *not* have HDCP capablility to show copyrighted material).

I am condsidering getting am MXE1 as they have a few left at Richer Sounds at a decent price, but am confused by the comment above. I realise the MXE1 is not HDCP compliant, but as for not undertanding the resolutions, surely if I have high def content plaing from HTPC through DVI it will be OK?

Also, does anyone know if Telewest TVdrive (High Def) will require a HDCP compliant device ? If so is there any way round this?

My other option is a 7200, is there a marked difference in picture quality between the two? What is the MXE1 like at handling digital tv sources through the component inputs without a scaler?

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom