• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

Plasma Enhancer® - PE1000-Pro

mgiazzi

Can anyone tell me if they have a Plasma Enhancer® - PE1000-Pro and if so what are the results like and how does it compare to the lumagen and dvdo vp30.

Many thanks

gIzzE

Distinguished Member
mgiazzi, the Plasma Enhancer is a product that gives very good results, it is basically a Crystalio but in a more compact form and with less features, however, this is also it downfall. Now the Crystalio can be had from £1000-1500 I can't see why anyone would buy the Plasma Enhancer, unless they were getting it really cheap of course.

Hoes does it compare with the Lumagen and the VP30, well I watch alot of TV on my plasma and personally prefer the Crystalio to both of these, I sold my Lumagen after seeing the Crystalio in action, however there have been a couple of Lumagen firmware updates since then which have improved things and brought the two closer together, but I still personally prefer my Crytalio.

I have only seen the VP30 on a mates 436XDE so can't really comment on that, the Pioneer screen is not the best when you want to add a scaler. I would like to think it was the screens that let the set up down as the results were not impressive at all.

I think you have to decide what you are going to use it for?
If like a lot of guys you only watch NTSC discs through your system and are going to have a full ISF calibration the Lumagen may be the one to go for, if you want to watch alot of Pal video based material (ie watch aloyt of uk TV) and are not going to have an ISF calibration the Crystalio may be a better bet.
The reason I said about the ISF calibration is the Lumagen has 11 point greyscale adjustment so you can get it to reference colour levels all the way through the scale from black to white, the Crystalio does not, it only has adjustments for the lower range and upper range, however, out of the box it has the best colour I have seen so if you are not going to get it ISF'd you need to consider the above.

I know a few people who have bought the Lumagen and only use it to watch Pal TV, now to me this just does not make sense, I am sure they just buy the stuff based on others comments and don't actually demo them in their systems or think what each products strengths and weakness' are?
The Crystalio has loads of downsides too, but for me overall image quality is what really matters and I can live with the annoyances because it is just so good.

These are both great products though and I can't see anyone being unhappy with either, but if you get one stop reading the forums and don't look at the other one as you may start to wonder if you have bought the wrong one.
Best thing to do is buy both, use both for a week and keep the winner! ;)

Gordon @ Convergent AV

Distinguished Member
AVForums Sponsor
I'm not going to join the debate as to which is better etc but would just point out that the 11 point rgb adjustment in the Lumagen is not for colour. It is for greyscale. (I think that was what Guy was getting at but wanted to be more clear) Whether a scalers colour decoder is accurate or not is irrelevant if the display itself has non linear greyscale tracking. The displays greyscale will be the same non-linear track regardless of which processor is attached to it. With the Lumagens rgb gamma you can actually correct for that, as well as for errors there may be in the sources. In fact PMS have added this feature to the Crystallio2...........

On the colour decoder front they also have advanced colour decoding with red and green saturation and hue as well as Y/Pr/Pb delay adjustments, so you can be assured of the most accurate colour reproduction. Of course, as Guy says, this requires technical understanding of what you are trying to achieve and for some they may find it "too much information".

Hope this was of some use.

Gordon

gIzzE

Distinguished Member
I was trying to keep it nice and simple. :)

One thing I didn't really comment on was the original question. :suicide:

Out of a Plasma Enhancher and a Lumagen I would go with the Lumagen everytime, the plasma enhancher just does not do enough to justify its price tag, imho, there is keeping something simple and not doing enough and I feel the PE falls into the latter category.

mgiazzi

I am going on Friday to look at the Pe1000-pro in action.The reason i am looking at a scaler is because i want to improve my picture on my panasonic 42 pw5.I use the tuner box which i like because i have my plasma on the wall and it means less cables! My question is,can i connect the scaler to the component input on the tuner box and then plug all my sources to the scaler without losing the tuner box?Will the tuner box interfere with the picture?I still want to use the tuner box also for the reason it also carries the sound signal to the speakers connected to the plasma(easy for the wife to use)!
Hope you can help!!

dts_boy

i have been living with a pe1000 pro for the past few weeks. its my first experience of scalers and it has worked wonders with my cable tv into my plasma. its was very easy to install and setup - although i have not done much tweaking - not really sure where to begin (do i setup screen first and then tweak with scaler etc..) anyway, having not had experiences of any other scalers i can't really comment on them but i would be happy to reccomend the pixel magic.

gIzzE

Distinguished Member
mgiazzi said:
I am going on Friday to look at the Pe1000-pro in action.The reason i am looking at a scaler is because i want to improve my picture on my panasonic 42 pw5.I use the tuner box which i like because i have my plasma on the wall and it means less cables! My question is,can i connect the scaler to the component input on the tuner box and then plug all my sources to the scaler without losing the tuner box?Will the tuner box interfere with the picture?I still want to use the tuner box also for the reason it also carries the sound signal to the speakers connected to the plasma(easy for the wife to use)!
Hope you can help!!

Quick answer is it will not work with your set up. You can't input anything above progressive with the tuner.
You need to remove the tuner box and go straight into the vga.

dts_boy, using the pixel magic disc is really easy to use.
Choose the resolution that matches your plasma.
Put the disc in your player.
goto pixel magic mode on your scaler.
put up the Horizontal line pattern and adjust the V size on your plasma until it snaps in.
Then do the same with the Vertical line pattern and adjust the Horizontal size on your plasma till it snaps in.
You will now need to adjust Vertical and Horizontal position on your plasma to get it central, do this with the overscan pattern on the disc and make sure you are out of pixel magic mode.

You now have a nice pixel mapped display using the processing of the PE and not the Panny. :smashin:

The latest video from AVForums

Fidelity in Motion's David Mackenzie talks about his work on disc encoding & the future of Blu-ray
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom