1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Plasma drop in replacement!!

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs' started by condyk, Nov 13, 2004.

1. condyk

condyk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    All this plasma stuff is sending my head spinning.

Be gentle with me ... here is what I'd like to do:

Replace my nice Sony 32FX68 TV (currently on ebay!) with a plasma BUT I am reasonably tight fisted AND love the best bargain/quality I can get. So, I want to dispense with any speakers that may come with the Plasma, any unecessary add on boards, stands, etc. I have a Humax Freeview PVR and Sky digibox that take care of the 'tuner' side, and good quality surround sound set up that takes care of the sound.

Do I therefore just need a plasma screen with a couple of RGB scarts on the back ... almost like a computer monitor? Does such a thing exist?

Is component of any advantage when the Pioneer surround amp pumps out RGB via scart socket, i.e. is it worth using a scart to component cable, or is there no gain there?

Is there anywhere I can get a Hitachi or Panasonic 42", basics as above, for less than 1400? A friend has the Hitachi 5200 or something and the picture is the BEST I have ever seen. Never seen the Panasonics, though they are obviously well thought of here and so on my list.

The Tiny 42" offer (around £1200 if bought online) is generally derided but I have yet to see a review or hear from anyone talking from experience ... or even having seen one of them. I am suspicious that so may are critical yet no one seems to have seen it or used it!! Am I being unfair?

Thanks a lot :)

Dave :cool:

2. mcav

mcav

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +58
    Hi

The Tiny plasma is not very good from what I saw of it.

It was in Computer Shop today running monsters inc. Now this is a DVD which no TV should make look bad, but the Tiny plasma somehow manages to make it look fuzzy and generally rubbish looking. Checking the connection, it was wired up using a fully loaded scart connection, so connection was not the problem, it was the screen itself. Which is an old samsung model I believe.

From what I can see -the value for money choice seems to be the LG RX 11 or 12. Cannot find anywhere that sells the RX12 yet but the RX11 seems to hold very high quality in all aspects for not too much money.

Panasonic seem to increase in price and seemingly in quality, but I am yet to be convinced by this, as so far the demos i have seen have not been in great conditions.

3. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Somewhere near the M4 most of the time......
    Ratings:
    +1,215
    Have alook at the Help a Beginner thread and get a panny or keep the SONY

4. grahamtriggs

grahamtriggs

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +33
    Yes, they do - you can get a Panasonic PWD6 for example, and add the input boards that you require, be it SCART, component, or a combination. You will also need feet/stand/mounts. Probably looking at a minimum of about £1800 for the bits you need.

It may be, depending on the connection implementation on the screen. In general there isn't much to choose between component and SCART, the main reason for using such a converter would be to standardise on a single type of connection, use switching in a surround amp, and so feed just one lead to the display. (or indeed, if the other connection isn't available on the screen!)

Not unless you buy second hand, or maybe grey import, or possibly take a chance on eBay. If you go for a new display from a reputable dealer, then the cheapest deal you'll see for Hitachi/Panasonic is probably about £1580 for the PWD6 - but you *will* need to add accessories to that pushing the price up.

The Tiny probably isn't the worst screen you could buy, and some people will be quite happy with it. But there are good reasons to be critical, even without seeing a screen. They aren't a 'manufacturer' - just a fairly small assembler of components from others. You can get the same components in screens buy the original manufacturer for pretty much the same price - and you'll probably get better service / backup.