1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Plasma displays tuners

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs' started by yan, May 6, 2003.

1. yan

yan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I am wondering what people are using for tuners for their plasma displays. I assume most people are using Sky, but there is talk of the BBC moving all of its channels to another satelite due to the extortionate prices Sky charges to host the BBC's channels.

I assume people will then either add a freeview box or use a VCR as a tuner. However is a VCR a reasonable solution, is there any comprosmise in picture quality and are there any dedicated tuner boxes available for plasma displays?

2. lmccauley

lmccauley

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +213
    The problem with a VCR would be that the output would be composite only (or S-video, if it was a S-VHS VCR). A freeview box would look like a better alternative.

Arcam did do a NICAM tuner a few years ago. It is meant to be very good, if you can get hold of one second hand. I have heard of a few people holding onto them to use with projectors.

Cheers,
    Liam

3. symanski

symanski

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    From what I've heard about the BBC moving satellite, it won't really affect us viewers. Essentially, it's a move away from Murdoch's Sky tie in, which has more to do with the encryption of the channels. Over five years, it will save the BBC £85 million pounds.

By moving to a different satellite, one which only transmits over the UK, there's no longer any need to encrypt what are "free" channels. Encryption is only there to stop viewers in other parts of Europe where the BBC don't have permission to broadcast program material from the copyright owners.

You will not have to change satellite dishes or providers.

More from the BBC website:
    http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/entertainment/tv_and_radio/2929335.stm

All the best,

Dr John Sim.

4. symanski

symanski

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    And getting back to the point of this thread...

Digital TV is becoming the favoured method, tuners either via a VCR or external box, are used by some but once you start using the digital services you really don't miss analogue services.

If you really need a tuner, use a VCR. But please consier Freeview, Sky or cable as alternatives - more channels too!

All the best,

John.

5. chrise

chrise

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +46
    Sky are moving their channels to Astra 2D from 30th May but that does not mean they cannot be received through a "sky" system as the satelite is co-located with the current one, indeed if they do go free to air as promised then any digital satellite receiver will be usable.

There are a few stand alone receivers on the market Nexnix do something called Joyvision for £125 or Futurehome have a "AMC ProV TV tuner and Progressive Scan video converter" for £149. A video recorder seems cheaper option.

6. tonymccandless

tonymccandless

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    I have same issue but do not have the luxury of Freeview as we don't get the signal and are unlikely to in the near future.

Solution I am looking at is the ZINWELL ProV+ Prog Scan and TV tuner.

Apparently this will not only give me the TV stations but also does a lot for signal processing.

Good luck

7. yan

yan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I also had a look at the ZINWELL ProV it looks very promising. I neglected to say in my original post that I am living abroad and so I dont have the luxury of Freeview or Sky(unless I install it illegally). It would be a shame to compromise the quality of my TV viewing by using a VCR, so The ZINWELL may be the way to go. Does anyone have this tuner?. Ive also thought about the scalers from JS Technology, however I assume if I plug a composite scart into the RGB to component scaler it wont actually output component as the input is composite and not RGB, can anyone confirm this?

Thanks to everyone for their replies

8. tonymccandless

tonymccandless

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Hi Yan

Quick update. I spoke to someone whose opinions I trust on AV and they have stated the Prov range can be disappointing.

I am going to email them and get the name of an alternative.

Will update this forum when I get it.

Cheers

T

9. Liam @ Prog AV

Liam @ Prog AV
    Well-known Member AVForums Sponsor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +827
    It's worth checking out the ProV+ which has had a few improvements over the ProV based on customer input. The tuner's been upgraded to a decent Nicam stereo, fastext job and the processing has been looked at, upgrading the output to 60Hz or 75Hz plus a few other tweaks (now uses Philips SAA7118 chip).

We'll have one or two on display at the showcase.....

10. yan

yan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    With regard to the ProV being disappointing, is it worse than having VCR as a tuner? Even with S-VHS the best connection is s-video, does it improve on that?

11. tonymccandless

tonymccandless

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Yan

I don't want to drop anyone in it or contravene rules so I will just say that there have been a lot of returns of the ProV due to awful quality pictures.

The alternative I now have details on and have just ordered this morning to try out prior to my plasma arriving. If you go to AVer TV Box you will see the product for yourself.

I will update this thread when I have the box tho obviously won't be able to feedback on plasma performance for a week or so.

Cheers

12. yan

yan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Great will look forward to heraing the results. The VGA connection should hopefully provide a better picture than an S-VHS VCR.
    Thanks

13. yan

yan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Tommy, what will you be trying the box out on until your plasma arrives, LCD screen?

14. markbuffyfan

markbuffyfan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    if you are not hung up on teletext get a dvd recorder my panny e30 or the new e 50 can be picked up new for £355 multi region and its not a bad dvd player either

15. yan

yan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Not a bad idea Mark, likewise what about HD recorders, they also have tuners dont they? Would rather get one of those than a VCR. Is anyone using an HD recorder/Tivo as a tuner for their plasma? Is this possible?

16. yan

yan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Tommy have you also considered getting SKY without the subscription. Apparently it costs £130 for the dish and the digi-box and £100 for installation and provides 70 free to air channels. An alternative to A VER TV box

17. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Somewhere near the M4 most of the time......
    Ratings:
    +1,215
    Or buy a S/H Sky box and dish and do it yourself for £100 or less box £40+dish£25+ 100m ct100 £30

18. tonymccandless

tonymccandless

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Well it arrived and I have tested albeit it on my 17" screen for the PC.

It was pretty good as far as I can see. Really easy to setup and whilst it took 20 mins to get used to setting correct user channel numbers I cracked it.

Only issue I have at moment is that teletext is not working so will speak to guys on Monday to see what I have missed or if they shipped me non-teletext version.

Re Sky box I have one but since we have it and terrestrial piped through house I want Sky to be avail on other TVs in house whilst I watch analogue.

Yes I know I could get Sky+ but I so detest giving them any more of my money and I think the extra monthly sub for another box (I know special offers etc come and go) is a complete rip off.

I will further update when I get plasma.

Cheers

Tony

19. yan

yan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks Tony, glad to hear its wasy to set up, do you mind telling me how much it cost and where you ordered from. Ive looked at the site and the "where to buy" but its full of dead links. Thanks

20. tonymccandless

tonymccandless

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Yan

I actually called them directly and they shipped out immediately.

I told them about web site as well

21. dochall

dochall

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Could anybody give me a supplier for the ProV+.

Google is proving no help whatsoever.

TIA

22. taimur

taimur
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
  23. tonymccandless

tonymccandless

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Yan

I promised you update when screen arrived so here goes.

The guys at Aver found box was faulty with Teletext so shipped new one out return.

Plugged in tonight and TV really cool. Teletext is crap though so don't rely on this working too well if you want it.

One real bonus tho is that my Sky box is a dual coax out which I split between old TV and the house feed.

So I plugged the coax out from Sky into Aver and tuned Sky in and voila pictures from it seem really good from normal channels and Sky !!

So much so that when cables arrive I think it will be a close call between output from Aver and JS converter for Sky.

Anyway hope this helps.

If you get ProV+ please put your thoughts on the forum.

Tony

24. mrv

mrv
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Can you tell me what the problem was with teletext. Unfortunately 'er indoors must have teletext on the soon to arrive (hopefully) Panasonic plasma and I have discounted getting the panny tuner.

Maybe I'll have to see how good the ProV+ is with text.

(PS. Before anybody suggest it - freeview not an option, can't get a signal in my area. Digital is via NTL - decent, wife approved, text non-existent).

25. tonymccandless

tonymccandless

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Hi

I found the teletext to be far too blocky and not responsive to page changes as fast as a CRT built in which is pretty poor.

I will see how things go over the next week or so and might order the Prov+ to try it out or consider a card for the MXE which has tuner built in.

26. mrv

mrv
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    I notice that the ProV+ has RGB loop through from VGA input to VGA output when the unit is on standby. Now, being a bit thick, does this mean that I could feed :

NTL RGB -> JS RGB-VGA -> ProV+ VGA In

and then

ProV+ VGA Out - > Plasma VGA In

in the quest to get Teletext which 'er indoors wants (just like proper telly). Or is the output from the JS RGB-VGA box not compatible with the ProV+ in some sort of way??

Mike

27. symanski

symanski

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    I believe that the Pro-V will pass any input on the VGA through, so it should be compatible with the RGB to Plasma VGA unit.

All the best,

Dr John Sim.

28. mrv

mrv
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Symanski,

Thanks. Might just have to get one and try it. Would you expect there to be any significant signal degradation by routing the VGA in this way or is it likely to be so marginal that it's not worth worrying about?

Mike

29. symanski

symanski

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    If the Pro-V has been designed correctly, there shouldn't be any deterioration of the picture, but I've never looked at one so can't say. You can certainly experiment by going via the Pro-V and direct.

All the best,

Dr John Sim.

30. MobileInEurope

MobileInEurope

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    tonymccandless,

I also tried an Aver TV Box but I am returning it because of serious picture delay, causing very obvious sound sync problems.

Are you not experiencing this ?

carsten