1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Plasma Displays and games DONT mix!

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs Forum' started by scoooby, Jun 4, 2004.

1. scoooby

scoooby
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Used my xbox with my plasma for the first time last night.. after just have an hour of Colin McRae4 the dials, map, lap counter etc were all clearly visible when I turned the xbox off. (You can't even turn the speedo off!)

Fortunately it doesn't appear that any long term damage has been done- but it has made me realise that I won't be able to play games on the plasma that have static parts to the display. Gutted.

I'm now going to try and find games which don't have any static in-game images..

Nightmare.. anyone got any suggestions??

If I'd bought LCD I wouldn't have this problem!

2. Cabo 5150

Cabo 5150

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    Which panel do you have scoooby? I don't use mine for games but from what I've read on these very forums the type and manufacturer of set can make a big difference. In answer to your question, no you wouldn't have any problems with permanent image retention or screen burn with an LCD panel.

3. 888

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I've just finished Splinter Cell 2. Took 3 weeks with 1-1.5hr play a day. No temporary image or screenburn.

Plasma is also on the same Sat channel with a white logo in upper RHS. No screenburn yet.

Owned it for 2 months, on 8-10 hrs a day.

4. scoooby

scoooby
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Maybe it's because my 42pd5200 is only a week old then??

I do enjoy racing games, it would be a shame not be able to play them.

5. johndon

johndon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +108
    I've played an awful lot of PGR2 (static speedos etc) on my Hitachi 42PD3000 and, despite my initial concerns, had no problems with screen burn.

John

6. Elvis

Elvis

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Give it a little longer to 'run in' before you try gaming on it again. And lower your brightness and contrast settings whilst gaming.

7. Travino

Travino

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Scooby,
    I bought my Thomson WS42 Plasma on Xmas eve last year and I first noticed that I thought I had screen burn when my other half had been watching the QVC channel for a few hours.
    It showed up when I turned on the screen the next day and when I switched over to the AV channel to play my XBox I noticed a ghost image of the QVC logo in the corner!! :mad:
    I was not impressed as I had just spent the better part of 2 grand and now thought it was ruined - However after a short while of the screen being on the image slowely dissapeared.
    I have been informed since that some screens retain bright static images in the screen (almost like a memory if you like) even after they have been switched off for long periods of time.
    Since this I have often seen small ghost images of my XBox menus and the like when I have finished playing using it but tend not to worry about it now.
    Apparently it is common and I am thinking that unless you leave the image static for days on end I don't think you'll have to worry too much! :thumbsup:

8. alancolledge

alancolledge

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    Agreed with the above points, I remember trying my PS1 on it as soon as I got mine, as you do!, and bricking myself when I saw the rev counter still on the screen.

After a few minutes of normal viewing everything was back to normal.

We still have to watch Sky + mind due to using pause and doing something else. My wife and I have got into a routine of turning the screen off if we are on a phone call/ toilet etc!! :smashin:

9. NeilMcRae

NeilMcRae

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    Run the wipe program over it also.

10. Travino

Travino

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    S'cuse a newcommers ignorance but....the Wipe program :confused: :confused:

11. Brogan

Brogan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +482
    This is a program which will attempt to erase screenburn and after images.
    I think some plasmas come with them built in.

12. Travino

Travino

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    :mad: Darn, I don't think I have one of those built into the Thomson.
    Perhaps there's a way of utilising some other signal to display a blank display on the screen to clear any residue image.

Are these "Wipe Programs" like some continuous colour display?

13. Cabo 5150

Cabo 5150

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    The one I use on my Panny is thick solid white bar that gently scrolls across the screen.

14. ancientgeek

ancientgeek

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The after image usually lingers while you have a dark area which never brightens much. It's separate for each colour (red, blue, green), so the blue Sky menu screens or a green football pitch can't erase a red after image.

Cycle each pixel up to full brightnes and down again a few times to remove the bulk of the after image. Using a wipe program, or your PC if its hooked up. (drag a black window and/or white window all around the screen). Or just play some varied light coloured material. It also helps if you don't run your plasma at max brightness and contrast all the time.

15. scoooby

scoooby
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Thanks for your advice guys- dead handy and quite reasuring.

I'm just about to ask a question that has been asked a thousand times before, but I'm going to ask it anyway as I'm still a bit unsure.. here goes.. How long, on average, will a static image permanatly burn a display?- particularly my Hitachi. I realise that this is going to differ hugely depending on the display/source material/ contrast & brightness settings, but are we generaly talking a few minutes or hours?

I'm finding myself freaking out half way through a music video and changing channel because of all those (friggin) logos.

Overly paranoid?

16. snakeeater

snakeeater
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I know how you feel, do Sky channels really need to have so many damn logo's everywhere?!?!

Saying that Ive used my Panny for two weeks with xbox and sky and have NEVER seen an after image. I have all the settings turned down at the moment as Im still running it in.

Sorry to go a little OT here but once the screen has been run in, what do you good people recommend as the ideal picture settings (sharpness etc) for the best picture?

17. lmccauley

lmccauley

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +272
    Scooby, have you calibrated the brightness & contrast using something like Video Essentials? I'm guessing that you've got your screen set way too bright, which is why you're getting temporary screen burn. I calibrated my panny as soon as I got it and have never seen any screen burn from PGR2 or Sky.

Cheers,
    Liam

18. scoooby

scoooby
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    I'm at my parents house as I write this so can't be sure, but the contrast and brightness settings are set to about mid-way. I think I'll turn them down even further tonight- I suppose I could just set them low for games and back up for TV/DVD. (...and why is it that the contrast is set to MAX on new screens???)

Video essentials? Is that some sort of calliberation DVD? Where can I get a copy?

Thanks.

19. John

John

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,880
    have a look in the power buys forum , pierro will sell you DVE for less than £15 iirc
    for the record , never had a problem with my screen and xbox (pausing sky at an unapropriate moment is another story :eek: , no lasting damage tho :clown: )

20. willberry

willberry
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Scooby, I have the same display and setting up using digital video essentials I got

contrast -12 (yes that's minus 12 and it looks fine - at least on mine)
    brightness +3
    colour -2
    sharpness -15

As a word of caution you have to set these up for each input (for the tuner when watching analogue tv and for each av input).

After watching the holland game on channel 5 for a while, when switching off the freeview box I noticed (on the now grey/black background) I noticed a channel 5 logo in the top left - nearly messed my pants. However after switching on, viewing another channel for a while and then switching off again it was gone - to my relief it was a residual (memory effect) image and not screen burn. For my first week of use I have decided to enter standby by using the 60 minute screenwipe option, this should accelerate the running in process for the screen and ensure that there are no residual images.

Hope that helps

21. scoooby

scoooby
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Thats amazingly helpful

Will try that setting later today.. Didn't realise that I need to adjust the settings independently for each av input!