plasma DISPLAY, would it need a tv licence?!

buns

Ex Member
Reaction score
yeah it does else you get shafted nearly as bad as for using this site

Yes. It's the sky box that does it though, not the Plasma display.

oh ok thanks guys. I was of the understanding that it was only if you were recieving terrestrial through an aerial. Say you had cable, how would the tv licence people know?

ad

Once I heard a blind person was taking to court for not having a TV license!! :confused:

Probably because it covers Radio's too.

Re cable etc: The TV detector vans can apparently detect what your watching anyway so it does not matter where it's coming from. Also it would not surprise me if the cable/satellite companies were obliged to inform the TV licencing people of who gets what - shops are obliged to inform the TV licencing people when you buy a TV - they have to fill in a form with your name/address. Anyway if you don't have a licence they you are in the minority so they will hassle you and hope this scares you into getting one.

Re: registered blind people - yeah, they used to get something like £2 discount (now they get 50% off). I guess they can still sort-of enjoy TV programmes and a lot of registered blind still have some vision but it still seems a bit mean.

Didn't someone say that the detector vans couldn't detect plasma's and LCDs like they can with CRTs??

Anyway they can't prosecute you without proof, to get proof they need to come in and actually see you have a tv, if you don't let them in they'd need to get a warrant to enter from a court and then at this point you could just phone up and get a license on direct debit at something like 11quid a month, with no harm done.....

Obviously I wouldnt say that this is the right thing to do and obviously everyone who needs a license should get one but if you want to avoid it you can.... for a while at least....

basically then, having a sky subscription has that hidden tv licencing sub in there as well..... to be honest, the only time i watch terrestrial tv is at the gym, it pees me off that i would have to pay for something i never use.

ad

There is no "hidden tv licensing sub" included in your Sky subscription - you have to pay it in addition to what you pay for Sky, and just having a sky box is enough to require you to pay it (as you can receive the terrestrial channels via Sky, even if you don't watch them).

This argument, every time it crops up, has the same, pointless 'don't want to pay for something I don't use' theme.

The TV licence is a TAX. Like any other. The fact that it funds, specifically, the BBC is irrelevant. It's a TAX. And it is levied in specifically defined circumstances.

You pay VAT, Income Tax (and whatever else) to fund services which you may or may not use.

If you are in (eg) BUPA - why do you still have to pay for the NHS? If you have no children, why do you have to pay for education? And so on.

Just live with it!!!!!!!!!

Isn't there talk at the moment that the license fee may disappear some time in the not too distant future?

Why dont you just refuse to pay it, i heard a while back of a guy in uk who refuses to pay it and the thing is no one will take him to court,because he is prepared to challenge it.If he loses all he has to pay is the licence fee (and maybe a fine),if he wins his case no one has to pay the licence fee and the bbc lose millions.

Gladly I dont pay ;), I was just wondering the legal situation!

ad

You are, indeed, breaking the law. You have (and presumably are using) television receiving apparatus (namely, your $ky box). For that, you need a licence. Period.

The TVLA should have been informed when you purchased or had installed your $ky box. So, they know who and where you are. Don't expect any sympathy here when they come a-calling.

they wont come a calling..... dont forget what they say about assumption! :p

ad

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom