Plasma Display Units

blackstone

Established Member
Reaction score
Please excuse my ignorance but is a plasma display unit the same as a plasma tv.
My next quesion is that if you purchased a plasma display unit would that be tax deductable if bought for business use.

Joe

The Plasma Display models generally don't include a Terrestrial or Digital TV tuner and many come with only an in built PC input (VGA or DVI) plus card slots to take a Video board.

The PlasmaTV models will have an inbuilt or external TV tuner plus multiple video inputs - and most will also have a PC input; the TV models will usually look more 'consumer' and have features such as Picture in Picture, Teletex etc

Tax Deductible - I guess that's down to you, your accountant and your Tax inspector; stick a Plasma Display in your corporate boardroom or presentation suite and I cant see there being a problem. Stick the same unity in your house and invite the tax man round for a coffee and to view his favourite movie and you now have a taxable nicety I'd guess.

I'm sure there are plenty of these units that live 'at home' that have been charged to company accounts :)

Best regards

Joe

Thanks Joe it was only after I posted that I remembered your TMFSOLUTIONS site and had a quick look. My face is still red with embarassment. I am sure you are right about the "new" homes that display units find. Thanks for the speedy reply.

You can always store the unit out of the way on a wall mount at home when not needed by the business.:D

It might have changed in the last budget (Gordon Brown is a bit of a bar steward for this), but you do have the option for 100% tax relief against IT purchases. That is, all your computer, printer faxes and monitors are completely deductible against any income tax you are paying. Plasma screens are monitors, aren't they??

In essence, you have a choice. Pay income tax or have a plasma screen for your board room.

All the best,

Dr John Sim.

Perhapse I should clarify that I am not in business and the question about tax deductable was because our bowling club are considering a replacement for CRT.
In my view I thought the option(s) would be a projection system. Other people advocated for plasma display hooked up to sky digital without a lot of extra bells and whistles as it would be used for viewing footie mainly. Any thoughts suggestions ?

If there are a lot of people, projection is worth considering. It can be bigger, and maybe higher up the wall for more uninterrupted viewing. But you need a gloomy environment. As a soft southerner, I might say that the weather will be on your side! Another projection plus is that it will be very very portable...:D And a screen at home would be useful. Depends totally on your ambient light situation though.

joe

As per MAW's reply your choice of technology has to come once you've decided on your optimum screen size and you've considered your ambient lighting conditions.

If your replacing a CRT projector you will be amazed at the quality you get out of a decent LCD projector that's about 1/4 the size of your current CRT.

If you have a smoky environment its worth considering a smoke free housing for the LCD - which makes it slightly larger but still much smaller than a conventional CRT.

Best regards

Joe

Thanks lads when I hear more about their plans I would grateful if I could PM either yourself Joe or MAW.
I don't know if you anything about bowling clubs but everything is done by t' committee.....'nuff said
Decisions are unlikely to be taken this side of the year as the bowling season is about to begin so viewing would mainly be during the winter months.
If we ever get one might have to "store" it at home April-Sept' keep it free of smoke and test it now and again under different light conditions ha ha

Yours in Sport

p.s Are'nt the Celtic fans doing us all proud not to mention the teams recent performance.

joe

I have my Flat Cap handy for going before t' committee - the bigger nightmare is if someone try's to do something without t' committee's approval and half way through an install you have to down tools until an emergency meeting is convened!

This usually happens when your perched up a ladder trying to get a 40kg projector onto its ceiling mount!!!

Best regards

Joe

PS YES we've had to resist the urge :)

Thanks joe. My student son has already mad a plan - Newcastle to Gothenburg direct by ferry (22 hours £119) but seats going fast.
He would be devastated if Celtic fail to reach that stage but half the fare is refundable in event of cancellation. Better that than the rip off prices nearer the time.

BTW the club have decided to shelve the debate re plasma/projector till the winter. Some members even moaned at the cost of Sky digital when it was made known to them so I will keep the "bunnet aff" meantime.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom