1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Plasma dilema

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs' started by leedebs, Jul 20, 2005.

1. leedebs

leedebs

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +99
    Okay guys the dreaded tunerbox has me beat..............apart from the component connections it's poor.
    So..............I have the following equipment & need advice on what I should get to gain better pq than "as is".
    I have a TH37PW7 panel c/w scart board
    Tuner box c/w input board :mad:
    Yamaha RXSL80 receiver 2 scarts :smashin:
    Yamaha SL100 DVD player 1 scart + component:smashin:
    Old pace digibox with a freesat card 2 scarts :thumbsup:
    Sony video not too bothered about connecting this up tbh as we now have Sky + in the main room :thumbsup: but it would be good to get terrestial as well.
    I can sell the Tuner box (how much am I likely to get for it?)
    At the moment I connect like so:
    Scart from scart board to receiver scart then to sky box then to dvd player, all output RGB, works fine but I also have the component leads connected & I can also switch the Tuner box on and select progressive component on the DVD player and enjoy SUPERB DVD pictures as well........trouble is it'a a pain to keep doing this.
    What I guess would be the best option is....................what?
    As always thanks in advance for your help.
    oh and btw i have done extensive tests between the tuner box and the scart board.........results:

Scart AV1 RGB on tuner..........pixelation and blurring very noticeable on Sky not too bad on dvd player.
    Scart board on plasma...........less pixelation, no blurring but not as sharp as tuner, although this is actually prefereable to the image from the tuner IMO
    Conmponent from DVD to AV4C on tuner, same/similar to AV1 scart picture until I select "progressive on the DVD player, then the image is very, very good, colours are better and the blacks are a lot better, in fact I would say the image is as close to my Sony trinitron in the main room as it gets.
    I have sat about 2 foot away from the plasma for 3 nights now (missus thinks I'm praying to the plasma god or something :mad: ) testing this out...... :rolleyes:

2. Piers

Piers

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +227
    Sell the tuner box- if you are lucky you might get over £120 for it on ebay.

Get a component board for the plasma - DVD into that.

Get a J S Technology RGB to VGA converter - Sky into it then into the VGA port on the plasma.

Forget the VCR - it will look horrid. Why do you need terrestrial - ceefax?

and get it ISF calibrated : )

3. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Somewhere near the M4 most of the time......
    Ratings:
    +1,215
    i reconmend a dual slot board and JS RGB>VGA (VCR does look horrid but your not the only one still using VHS :blush: ) dual slot gives you Component input or RGBHV AND S-video or composite) from AV-sales wont cost much more than a compoennt only board may get one second had, and jump on a JS RGB>VGA a couple normally in classifieds

4. leedebs

leedebs

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +99
    Okay Piers & HD thanks for that. :smashin:
    Need to ebay the tuner box now. :D
    Defo gonna get either the component board and ditch the vcr or get the dual slot board. Not sure atm about the JS converter...depends on how much I get for the tuner.
    One other thing if I do keep the scart board and buy a component board could I do PIP between the 2 boards?
    Also if I get the JS converter can I get PIP between that and the component/dual slot board?
    Oh & one other thing for the first time since having the plasma last night I noticed a real difference from the black bar "black" to the screen black if you know what I mean, it was on Man on Fire (great film btw) lots of dark images and noticed on the opening scene the screen image had like a fuzzy black almost dark grey and you could see a sort of dithering of pixels, I took the brightness down a couple of notches and it was fine, only trouble is it made the whole image too dark, so notched the brightness up again, could live with it but annoying none the less. Anyway took the dvd out and played another film....star wars AOTC and the image was perfect, inky blacks no problem at all, is this because some dvd';s have different "black" levels? Never noticed it before........any ideas?
    Sorry for al the Q's :eek:

5. leedebs

leedebs

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +99
  6. Piers

Piers

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +227
    I never use PIP here and I know that the High def screen that I have can do more PIP flavours than the SD one. I think that yours will do all the options that you have asked about but I cannot guarantee that.

The changing black level is a strange one. Were both DVDs region 2?

7. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Somewhere near the M4 most of the time......
    Ratings:
    +1,215
    yeah you can PIP PAP and POP i think as long as its a PWD7, PW7 is more limited

8. chedmaster

chedmaster

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +28
    the dodgy black you are seeing is not the screen its the dvd, the black bars are still "plasma black" i.e. the actual picture should go as dark as them. agree great film!

9. leedebs

leedebs

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +99
    Both region 2.
    As it happens I tried the same dvd on my Sony crt & dvd set up in the other room and it was the same on there. Must be the dvd.
    Thanks all

10. leedebs

leedebs

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +99
    Yeh tried it on my Sony set up in the other room..........twas the same on that...........must be the dvd.]
    Thanks