Plasma desktop stand - how much!

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Buying & Building' started by Bearded_Malc, Nov 30, 2004.

1. Bearded_Malc

Bearded_Malc

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +20
    I've yet to take the plasma plunge but when I do I will be standing it on an TV bench. I'm looking at a Panny as they seem well recommended. I find it interesting that the Pioneers have a lower constrast ratio but seem to be rated better (or the same). Perhaps the higher brighness makes up for this?

Anyway, what gets me is the price of a desk stand for a Panny (or any plasma really). With the Panny at around £1600 the desk stand is about 10%. All that electronics and a simple piece of steel and/or plastic adds 10% :eek:. Something does not add up. Seems to me stand prices are just taking the p..... :censored:

2. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Somewhere near the M4 most of the time......
    Ratings:
    +1,218
    well the stands fit the £1500 screens and the £3k screens........................ also some come with stands and some dont..... if you wall mount and it comes with a stand its a bit useless... panny supply no stand at all you buy what you want... JVC/LG/Pioneer supply table stands but no wall bracket......Philips used to supply both!
    It should not be a deciding factor in the choice of screen!!!!

3. Leigh_1973

Leigh_1973

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +16
    Pioneer dont supply stands with there screens, well AFAIK anyway. It always an option on the 435XDE's ive been looking at

4. Xstyle

Xstyle

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +146
    You're right Leigh ... Pioneer have OPTIONAL table stands (choice of 2, inc. the swivelling) and wall brackets (choice of 2 as well, inc the tilting).

Sid

5. Bearded_Malc

Bearded_Malc

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +20
    I didn't say it was a deciding factor. I’ll opt for the best screen for the money.

What I thought was ridiculous was that Panny can make say the PW7 for £1600 with all that electronics yet to mould a bit of plastic and metal costs around 10% of that. It shouldn’t. The profit margin on the stand is >>>> screen profit margin.

6. Bearded_Malc

Bearded_Malc

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +20
    BTW, as an example, take the Ikea yatch TV swivel, £20, and then add some Al square tube (Farnell has some £25 for 2m) plus fittings (Farnell, another £10). Total cost £55 for a swivelling real wood veneer (matches my TV bench) and Aluminimum Plasma mount.

The plain steel / plastic and steel ones should be cheaper.