1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Plasma delivered damaged and Shop wont Swop

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs' started by craighome, Jun 21, 2005.

1. craighome

craighome
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Hi All,

I must be destined not to have a plasma. Bought a Hitachi 7200 on Saturday and opened it last night and was shocked to see the screen was broken. The set was a bit warped also. There was no damage to the box except for some of the polystyrene packaging that was broken.

The shop was obviously closed so called them first thing this morning and they were very good and told me they would come out and swap it today.

They have just been out and looked at the set and then checked the serial numbers and the serial number on the plasma did not match the number on the box. I made a call to the shop and was told that they needed to speak to the managing director to find out if they could swap it. They had been trying to contact him but he is unavailable in Manchester, and he would ring me tomorrow morning. They had a unit in the van but would not swap it.

I told them that I was very happy and felt like I was being accused of swapping the unit, they said I wasn't and they were following procedure.

I understand what they are saying but it is very upsetting.

The set was 2K and I payed £400 deposit on credit card and the rest is buy now pay next year. I have called my credit card company and they said that I am covered if they will not give me my money back or swap the unit.

My brother bought one at the same time and his is fine, am waiting for him to get home to check that the serial numbers match on his plasma/box.

Does anybody know legally how I stand with this predicament. What should be an enjoyable experience is proving to be very stressful.

boohoo I want a plasma !

2. Dan L

Dan L

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +110
    That's pretty poor customer service.

Who did you buy it from?

3. craighome

craighome
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    SS Audio Video Ltd in Bradford

4. wyerd

wyerd

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
  5. Andeh

Andeh

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    As a last resort threaten to go to the papers with, say the bad publicity could cause them a lot of trouble, especially if they are a 1 shop businesses. Until then stay polite but firm, and keep calling. gl mate :)

6. Nick_UK

Nick_UK
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +270
    Get in touch with your local Trading Standards department, and get them to take up your case.

7. neilmcl

neilmcl

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +290
    Sounds like someone at the shop or maybe even the distributors who was supposed to dispose of the broken plasma has decided to swop it for a new one and keep the good one for himself. Very suspicious.

8. pjclark1

pjclark1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +271
    Just wondered why you didn't check the screen at time of delivery.
    The guy who delivered mine insisted on unpacking the screen on delivery and getting me to sign a form saying there was no signs of damage to the screen. (but I did buy from av sales)

9. Cable Monkey

Cable Monkey

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +205
    When my 32pd5200 was originally delivered the guy was prepared to walk away before he even helped me carry it upstairs to my flat. Being a trusting soul I thanked him when he eventually assisted me and left. I found a shop soiled ex demonstration model inside with screenburn and no cover on the plasma. They agreed to refund being unable to replace and after a 'check at the warehouse' they did just that. The company I then chose used a courier who insisted I inspect before he left. Needless to say I was happy with what I found.

10. TonyA

TonyA

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +217
    The sale of goods act is on your side.

Take it up with local trading standards (details available at your local town hall).

Also, if you paid by credit card, you may have purchase protection from the credit card company (Barclaycard offer this), so contact them, and they will also help you out.

11. craighome

craighome
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    It was delivered late on Saturday and I was going out. I didn't have a stand to put it on and got one on Monday and hence didn't open it till then.

12. craighome

craighome
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    I paid for the deposit on my credit card (£400) and have already spoken to them and they said I was covered, but had to try and sort it out with the shop first. I am not sure if I would be covered for the full amount on my credit card or just the deposit.

Gonna wait to see what they say in the morning, but at the moment just feel like telling them I want my money back, don't feel like giving them the business after they have made me feel like a criminal. I've looked about and I can get the same set elsewhere for the same price.

13. jedi-knight

jedi-knight

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11
    If it were me..............wooooooooo.........I would be real p****d.....if the shop told me that they wouldn't swap it, then I would defenantly pay them a visit, regardless of travelling a few hundred miles.

They can fob you off over the phone, but face to face, I'd be getting my screen swapped.

Refuse to leave, get personal if need be, they are ( calling me a f****ng liar).

Don't take any s*** Craig, they are going to swap it, not hopefully.

:mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad:

14. CoolCurly

CoolCurly

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +104
    If you purchased it over the web/telephone, not only do you have the Goods Act on your side, you also have the Distance Selling Act - basically you can send it back for full refund within 7 days without ANY reason....

15. Tarbat

Tarbat

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +252
    But NOT in a damaged condition.

I personally would wait for them to call back today, and hopefully they'll swap it out. Try to get some compensation from them for the inconvenience, etc. You have an opportunity here to turn a negative into a positive.

I can understand a company following procedure to make sure it's not the customer who has damaged/swapped the set. They may also want to establish whether the delivery company damaged the set or swapped it in transit.

16. craighome

craighome
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    The Managing director called me this morning and said that he had checked the demo set and the serial number on this did not match with its box and also another set they had the serials did not match.
    He said he would swap the unit out today and did say sorry.
    I told him that because of the all the stress he could take it back and I have sent a complaint to Hitachi. I also bought a glass stand off them yesterday (before they refused to swap) because the table I have looked bad.
    He said he was speaking to Hitachi this morning and would see if he could get anything off them for the stress and would call me after 1 .

Not entirely sure what to do, I want the plasma but don't want to give them my customer after being treated like I have. Paid 2K for it and looking around I can get it for this price elsewhere, will just wait and see what he offers me if anything. If its nothing its going back.

Thanks for all the replys

17. CoolCurly

CoolCurly

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +104
    If the goods were damaged in transit, then the supplier has to put the claim in with them, not the end user. The fact that the box wasnt damaged means that it would have been signed for "clean".

Speak to the trading standards, read up on the Sale of Goods Act, and rip the suppliers head off with your knowledge...

18. jedimaster1971

jedimaster1971
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    ERR< I think thats uncalled for mate, how you feel I know i would be major narked off if that happens to my plasma due any day now

good luck with your claim mate

19. craighome

craighome
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Don't all slate the clown, its actually my brother. We bought one each on Saturday, so there was 2 on the van and he got the good one and I got the broken one.

20. dlittlewood

dlittlewood

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Yes, I wont be buying anything from that shop again. The telly though is great, I got the xbox working on high def. last night and its fantastic if anybody is interested.

21. Tarbat

Tarbat

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +252
    I personally would hold out for some compensation rather than sending it back. If you're happy with the replacement set, then keeping it and getting some compensation is probably the least stressful solution.

Look at it from the retailers point of view. It's a very easy con to swap a plasma for a damaged one. If I was a retailer, I would want to check things out before swapping a damaged unit where there was any doubt about serial numbers, etc. If the serial numbers didn't match, they will probably have similar problems returning the unit to Hitachi.

At least they've agreed to swap the unit, just try to get some compensation - the glass table for free maybe.

22. craighome

craighome
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Hi All,

The managing director did call me and offered me 2 * PDV302 Portable DVD players with 7" TFT and also £25. He said the Hitachi rep offered one but he asked for 2 because me and my brother bought 2 Plasmas at the same time.
    Accepted the offer and the plasma was delivered yesterday and its gorgeous. I've now realised my DVD player does not do progressive scan so am now looking to replace this with one that does.

Thanks for all your advice.

Craig

23. jedimaster1971

jedimaster1971
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    al is well that ends well, but you still should not have been criminalized in the first place so you decide if the means fits the ends, however enjoy your compo oh and your plasma mate
    jedi

24. Nick_UK

Nick_UK
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +270
    Glad you got it sorted :thumbsup:

25. Tarbat

Tarbat

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +252
    Glad it worked out okay.
    This implies that it was Hitachi's fault in the first place.