Dismiss Notice
Attention AVForums app / Tapatalk users
Sadly GDPR means that, from 25th, we can no longer offer access to AVForums via the branded app or Tapatalk.
Click here for more information.

Plasma decision help

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs Forum' started by andypearce, Sep 6, 2004.

1. andypearce

andypearce

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    I've read through the various threads regarding the current Panasonics and the slightly older Pioneer PDP434. I'd like some advice (including from those retailers who don't really like the Viera) given the buying criteria.

The looks and tidyness of the setup is as important as any other criteria (as far as the gf is concerned.) The TV could be wall mounted but would have to have minimal cabling which could be easily concealed without building work.

Ease of use is a plus point but the gf would be willing to switch on the amp and select the correct source to ensure she can watch Coronation St!

Upgradeablility would be an advantage but not a major downpoint as I don't see myself moving to Hi Def straight away which means I'll be getting close to upgrade time when it becomes available anyway IMO.

Again HDMI or DVI-D would be an advantage but at the moment I don't have a DVD player capable of it (I'm not even sure my Pioneer 656A is progscan enabled?)

The majority of broadcasts would be from Sky+, I only watch DVD's about 5% of the time so the picture quality with Sky+ is the most important aspect.

Given all of these criteria am I right in the following;

The Viera 42" has best ease of use and with the floor stand is probably the neatest solution. It has a good picture quality when using 'standard' sources but lacks digital connections and won't be future proof for Hi Def?

The Pioneer has an external tuner box which all the other components feed into and so there are only a couple of cables required to run to the panel. It has the best picture when fed by HDMI but is comparable to the Panasonic with other feeds. It is future proof for Hi Def?

The Panasonic panel (PW6?) is significantly cheaper than Viera with the same picture performance. It is the least user friendly of the sets but has future proofing. Do all of the connections need to be run to the panel or does it use an external 'box' - what connections does it come with as standard?

A few other questions;

Is there a new range of Panasonic sets coming out that include HDMI connections (I though I read that in a recent What Hi-Fi.)

I have quite a few components to connect (DVD player, Sky + , VCR, XBOX & PS2) - can all / any of them cope with all these as standard and if not what additional costs am I looking at to do so?

Sorry for the big list but I'm trying to sort this all out in one go.

Thanks in advance.

Andy

2. GalacticaActual

GalacticaActual

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +279
    I am no expert but here goes.

The pw6 has room on the back for 3 input boards plus i think it has a vga input as well. You can buy a stand for the pw6 plus speakers if you so wish.
    As far as I am aware the pw6 is also what can be called futer proof IE it will take hidef signals. The viera and the pw6 are based on the same technology. The pw6 has more picture tweeks and can be more easly calibrated to give optimum picture performance.
    How ever, I purchased a viera 37". I thought it looked more astheticly pleasing in the living room and was easy to use for the other half(not willing to use the amp and such you see :D ) The vierra has 2 rgb scart one s video scart. componet input and vga, although the vga is on the front of the plasma. I suggest you go see them both and have a good demo with a couple of your favorite dvds. See them both running and then make up your mind.

I have treied to be as non biased as possible towards both pannels. you will find a thread on these very forums that seems to have pw6 and viera owners split right down the middle. Happy shopping!! :rolleyes:

3. andypearce

andypearce

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    Thanks for the reply David. :)

Anybody else with an opinion?