1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Plasma deals at Richer Sounds

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs' started by MarkF, Jan 13, 2005.

1. MarkF

MarkF

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
  2. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Somewhere near the M4 most of the time......
    Ratings:
    +1,215
    well either you are very new to this...... (there deals can be bettered and serviced can be completely outclassed) which is cool....have you actuallly bought a plasma from them?

OR your experience is contray to 90% on this forum, RS staff completely ignore me when i go in to the store, everything i have ever tried to buy from them was not in stock and they couldn't order it/tell me when they would get it............ I dont even consider them as an option anymore they are not the worst people out there and have their place in the market but there are much better places to go for service and price.......(and quality products/which they advertise but only have in stock crap...........)

3. phillfyspoon

phillfyspoon
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +76
    I bought my PW6 from them but that didnt have any terminal boards in stock and tried to sell me a crappy tuner box for £200 and also tried to sell me another plasma which they said was better. but i got it for 1299 so im happy.

4. Carlos13

Carlos13
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I can see room for some classic Richer sounds behaviour by looking at the prices on the website.

You go shopping for a LG PX11 at £1350 (an excellent price, I haven't seen it cheaper), get to the store, "sorry we don't have that in stock Sir, but we do have the LG MZ42PZ45V which costs £1400 but I tell you what since we don't have the one you want we will do the more expensive screen for the same price". :rotfl:

RS are ok if you want to buy over the counter at a cheap price, if you can be sure that they stock your product. Service wise they are poor, they once lost my Philips DVD recorder for 3 months when it went in for repair.

5. sceptic

sceptic

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +19
    I've bought lots of stuff from them over the years and, generally, found them excellent.
    Their 3 year guarantee is good value. I've had several faulty items that were a couple of years old replaced with new updated models for free.
    If you know what you want and ring in advance to check that they have it in stock you can get a good deal.
    I'm not trying to be controversial here just giving my personal experience.

6. lisag

lisag

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +399
    I agree, just got my PW7 from them, and admittedly we had a fall-out because they could not supply the extra terminal boards I wanted, but I picked up the screen same day, added an extra 2 year at home warranty for 10% of the screen price (total 3 years for £120) and their prices are very competitive. There are some very good bargains to be had on their trade counter also...

7. sldt

sldt

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Bought my TH37PW7 from them last sunday.
    I have bought from them many times & never found them any worse than other chains for service but usually better on price.

8. pjclark1

pjclark1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +271
    used em often, never had a problem
    (I don't ever listen to salesmen trying to flog me extras tho)

9. drmih

drmih

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    As a rule of thumb, ring up the stock level number on the web-site as they know what's going on and when things are likely to start appearing in shops.

Last week I tried to buy a PW6, although they gave me all sorts of negative data, most of it wrong - the vga connector couldn't be connected to component inputs - why not buy ****, only £500 more and it has some connectors. Anyway, I knew what was what and said I'd have one and a stand. Computer said 8 stands in the shop - spent ages going back and forward into stock room before giving up. No attempt to find a solution or try and keep my custom - I had to walk away and in the meantime change my mind to a LG RZ from another supplier and think it's great.

10. Rob20

Rob20

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +391
    I've used RS loads of times in the past 10+ years. OK, so there are dozens of online shops that now offer a greater range, and probably cheaper prices, but few have as many stores as RS. RS was never really about range, but more about buying up last years models, and knocking them out very cheap.

Surely people looking to buy a plasma will just phone in advance to see whether the model they're after is in stock? Simple really.

Admitedly, the last 3 AV items I bought came from RGB direct. On the other hand it will be far more difficult to return the items if any of them develop a fault. Also, back in the day, RS used to have an amazing £20 3 year warranty that allowed you to trade in your purchase in 3 years time to get 50% of the price back against new equipment. I got a £100 centre speaker for £10 in this way.

11. jabowen

jabowen

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Have to agree. I felt pretty bad, I put Alistair to the trouble of providing a quote for a 37PW7 on New Years Eve (at which point they were still up for 1750 with BNC board I think). If AVSales had been open I’d have ordered there and then, but they were closed. I wouldn’t have touched any other online retailer for the purchase having done my homework.

Over the New Years weekend I heard of the 1199 offer in Richer Sounds Cardiff. I rang up on Bank Holiday Monday – they had stock, but were up front about having no terminal boards. I was fine with that , and they put one aside for me with my name on. I went down 3 hours later, they helped me load it in my car. Didn’t try to flog me a different screen, offered me 3 year warranty for £120.

I sourced a BNC board (www.plasmaware.co.uk) which was delivered within 3 days for £78. My total price for the screen and board was 1280 – which I was delighted with. No having to worry about taking time off work or arranging Saturday deliveries. As I say I did feel guilty, I know the excellent service and expertise AVSales provide, whilst RS are just box shifters, but for me the convenience of being able to drive and pick one up there (and saving nearly £500 on the quote I had) won out. I did still go to AVSales for my JS Convertor and component and VGA leads though. I have managed to source a brand new Panasonic boxed pedestal stand from ebay, and got a lovely Optimium AV stand from HiWay HiFi. On the basis of the superb information on here I knew exactly what I needed/wanted - sure it’s been more stressful than buying it altogether, but I knew that when I made my decision….. Now I’m just waiting for the blasted pedestal stand to arrive, so I can set the whole thing up!!

12. geewhizz

geewhizz

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +84
    Well i phoned richer sounds ( glasgow ) all day today and all i got was an answer phone from 12 - 6 pm.
    Was in there shop last saturday, and by the state of the shop i wouldnt buy from them, they had everything pilled from floor to roof, with torn bits of paper with the price on it.
    p.s. was just phoning for a price so john lewis can match it.

13. SILVERBACK

SILVERBACK

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +73
    i havent had many problems myself with my richer sounds shop,always been great at returns pretty much had stock in that was advertised BUT there not exactly knowledgable when it comes to certain stuff.id rate them a lot higher than currys etc but obviously no match for proper home cinema retailers(nexnix avsales etc) and its hard to beat there extended warranty prices.also just make sure you know what you want and dont let them sway your decision as i over heard a outrageous lie to get some women to buy a sherwood home cinema amp instead of a yam.

14. Laurel&Hardy

Laurel&Hardy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I've used them a few times. Never, ever listened to a word the sales staff say because usually I'm on a mission and I know exactly what I want. Get the usual lines of 'well we've got a special deal on this one today if you buy it we'll chuck in all these nice freebies', which all high street retailers try to a certain extent. Nope, not interested, I want what I came in for. And that method works great. No quibbles with taking things back and prices are pretty good for a street retailer. Apart from the RS special of 'no we don't have that in stock, we sold all those out, but I'll do this one for £x off...', which has only happened to me twice, and the fact their staff know precisely dick about AV and hi-fi (no concern because I NEVER ask them for advice!) I've no complaints really.

15. Koing

Koing
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Well that is why the prices are 'cheaper' then a lot of places. They have small stores (keeps running costs down) and they maximise their space in store. Like how easyjet use airports a bit further out but you save a lot of money.

I have used RS a few times and they were good. The stores small but thats how they save money and get good prices.

I go in to a store knowing what to buy/ try out so I am fine.

Koing

16. adrian.stewart

adrian.stewart

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I've got a PW7 reserved at Watford to pick up on Saturday and I need to know what boards to buy. I've got a Yamaha RX-V350 amp and 5.1 speakers, a DVD (make omitted) and an NTL digital box but am a COMPLETE novice and have no idea what is required. The guy at RS suggested a tuner box which, reading this thread, is obviously the wrong choice.

Can you people who know what you're on about please sort me out? I'd really appreciate it. This is a lot more complicated than I thought it was going to be.

17. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,215
    need to know what the DVD player outputs, (component?)? but a scart board for STB and Component for DVD if possible, see the help a beginner thread give it a read as i am pretty sure there are cheaper deals out there on the PWD7

18. AV-Learner

AV-Learner

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I too must come to the defence or RS.

Local shop at Kingston with some of the best prices on the web
    Reasonably knowledgeable (for me at least!) and non-pushy salesman
    Can take it away and have it running the same day
    Don't have to take time off to wait for couriers
    What looks like a very reasonable extended guarantee
    A very liberal exchange policy

Good luck to them I say!

19. adrian.stewart

adrian.stewart

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for the reply, HD. I'm inching my way forward here. Let me try and sum up what's now in my head.

The situation:
    - NTL Digital
    - Philips video player with decent outputs
    - DVD player (not saying which) that will be replaced if it doesn't have the outputs we need
    - Console (PS2 or X-Box)
    - Yamaha RX-V350 amp
    - Bose speakers (no comments please)

Here is my limited understanding:
    2 boards required for the PW7:
    - 1 component board to connect directly to the DVD (if my DVD doesn't have component, I'm getting one that does) and also an audio feed to the amp
    - 1 scart board for everything else. This means I'll need a scart switcher(?) that the digital tv, video player and games console(s) plug into which sends scart to panel and audio to the amp.

OR do I get a Quintro device (what does this do and how does it connect to the rest of the gear) with a JS converter that goes to the Panel vga input?

What are the pros and cons of these approaches? Are they valid? Should I have stuck with my 20" portable?

P.s. I got the panel with no boards for £1099 (37"). I haven't seen it anywhere cheaper and since I have no idea what boards I need, it still stacks up.

20. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,215
    ah well find boards is the hard bit mate.... (does Yamaha amp switch video?) VCR will cause you issues no doubt.....
    cheapest/best way is VCR>ntl>scart board (those 2 done)
    DVD well.....buy a new one with component out puts Pio 575 £99 is ideal or panny E55/65 DVDR even better £150-£200(if you fabcy DVDR route then a quick rethink is in order)http://ws4.richersounds.com/showproduct.php?cda=showproduct&pid=PANA-DMRE65MR-SIL
    Consoles can both (PS2 need to check S/N) ouput component so a component switch is ideal (especially if you DVDR) so a new AV amp with component switching is on the cards then into componenet board on panny http://www.avland.co.uk/denon/avr2105/avr2105.htm is ideal

21. adrian.stewart

adrian.stewart

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Sorry to bang on about this but it's for my benefit.

You're saying I need:
    - a component board
    - a scart board
    - a scart switcher (for the VHS and DVD)
    - a new amp with component switching.

Is there no way I can shoehorn in my existing amp. A bit of a panic buy but it's brand new. Or would buying all the extra gear be a falso economy?

Thanks again for the info. My knowledge has come on in leaps and bounds.

22. adrian.stewart

adrian.stewart

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I meant a scart switcher for the VHS and NTL. And does the above still allow me to record from NTL?

23. adrian.stewart

adrian.stewart

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Or, at the risk of conducting this thread on my own, how about this? Since my RX-V350 isn't even out of the box, I might be able to swap it (plus cash) at the same shop for the Yamaha DSP-AX750SE (http://www.yamaha-audio.co.uk/homecinema/amplifiers/dsp-ax750se/) for around £380.

2 component inputs, one component output and component video-up conversion from composite and s-video.

24. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,215
    typed big response and lost it mate.....if you can swap them the 750 will make connection alot easier

25. adrian.stewart

adrian.stewart

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    That worked just as well. Thanks for all your help. I feel slightly less like bursting into tears at the mention of AV.

26. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,215
    So whats the plan mate?

27. adrian.stewart

adrian.stewart

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Well...

- Yamaha DSP-AX750SE
    - Component board for the plasma connected to the component out of the amp
    - New DVD player/recorder though I haven't decided which (the place I'm getting the amp reckon they can do me a Sony RDR GX300 for £250) connected to amp via component
    - Sky+ installed and connected to the amp via s-video and to DVD recorder via scart
    - VHS to the amp via composite (that's all it has) but it's getting phased out anyway
    - XBox (when I get it) to the amp via component

It's going to cost a bomb on cables alone. What do you reckon?

28. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,215
    adrian mate looks like a top system............for good prices on cables try www.tvcables.co.uk

29. adrian.stewart

adrian.stewart

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Sweet. I'll let you know how I get on.

30. heimi

heimi

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Adrian, do you know where you are going to get your extra bits for the PW6 yet? Boards, mount, etc?