Plasma de-interlacing

sacd

Standard Member
Reaction score
I was told the other day that some screens have de-interlacing built in (panasonic etc) while others do not (hitachi alis screens). So for the screens that do not have it built in an i-scan device could be used.
This to me was a revelation, does the quality of the de-interlacer really matter. Because if the de-interlacer in the panny screen is better than the one in my pioneer 747 dvd player then I would be better off not bothering to convert the dvd player to pal prog and using the one in the screen instead. Thus saving me pots of dosh!

Have I got this right?

No. The Hitachi/ other alis screens are a 'special case'. They do have deinterlacers built in, but then they take the signal apart in another way to display it as ALIS. It's not exacly interlaced, as the resolutions don't match. ie 576i scaled to 1024i doesn't go, so it's deinterlaced, scaled, then displayed nobody is exacly sure how. An iscan will still benefit a Hitachi screen, and the whole deinterlacing issue is really 'which is the best deinterlacer in my system?' which in your case is almost certainly in the 747, thus saving you pots of cash, you won't see that much of a gain by using an iscan, your player is not far behind. Make sense? Thought not, better get someone with a bigger brain to explain.

Thanks for the reply.
If I buy a panny screen (with a built in de-interlacer) should I get my DVD player modified to PAL prog scan? Or should I use the de-interlacer in the screen or should I just do anything that comes to mind and take lots of asprin to stop my head ache!

Indeed there is actually much more to it than just de-interlacing. There is how the analogue signal is digitised before de-interlacing in the plasma, how the component signal is transcoded to RGB, the methods used to de-interlace different source materials and also how this is then scaled to different resolutions. Even the appearance of two identical chipsets for de-interlacing in tow similar products does not guarantee the same performance as it is in the implimentation of the chips and surrounding electronics.

So always best to suck it and see....

Gordon

The man has spoken. I have installed a 747 and PW6 on 2 occasions, both I felt the screen was better with progressive output. Not chalk and cheese though, it's a good player, and the interlaced output is excellent.

Thank you very much both of you I really do appreciate people who take the time to answer threads. I've only been a member of this forum for a short while and I have learned a great deal from people take the time to help others out of their AV problems.

When it comes to buying I will take my trusty 747 and just try it out on a number a screens using both NTSC prog and PAL interlaced to see if its worth messing with my dvd player and changing it to PAL prog scan using firmware upgrade or chip.

Well, time to go and bury the dead. Bye!

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom