1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Plasma Connections

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs' started by lurcher, Jun 12, 2003.

1. lurcher

lurcher

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +199
    Right I"ve been running the Panny 42" for a couple of weeks now, connected as follows,
    Pannny S75 player via component to screen.
    DMR E-50 via Syncblaster scart to vga on screen.
    Sky digital in to DMR E-50.
    Above seems to work ok.
    Son just asked me to record film from sky but I want to watch football on the plasma ( so he lost).
    I realise that I can no longer acheive this as with previous set up, what are my options ?. Is it a Sky + box or can I get by with a digita set top reciever ?.
    If its the second option how do I connect it to the above equipment ?

TIA

2. symanski

symanski

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    Sky + is certainly an option. I changed from the TiVo system so that I could record one channel and watch another. It allows me to surf and then go back and watch the recorded program skipping the advert breaks.

Freeview will work out to be the cheaper option. Dixons are selling Grudig Freeview decoders for £70, equivalent seven months subscription to Sky +. But with Sky having so many more channels than Freeview, you'll have to decided for yourself which is more important.

All the best,

Dr John Sim.

3. lurcher

lurcher

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +199
    Thanks for the reply Dr John. Before I make the decision to upgrade to Sky plus I just want to confirm that if I bought a freeview box and connected it to the DMR E-50 that I could record Sky and watch Digital freeview broadcasts at the same time(or vikky verka)
    Would that work ok ?

4. symanski

symanski

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    I think you've got to have Sky going in to the E50, as this give you the move channels that you'd be able to record. Freeview should then be connected in via another means, perhaps if it's just for occasional viewing composite would be fine.

However, for RGB then you need to be able to switch between the DVD recorder's output and the Freeview source. A manual SCART switcher can be sourced from Argos.

As for which Freeview box, I should have said earlier that I bought a PACE unit for my parents and it works very well indeed (after trying another unit which kept crashed, which was changed for another unit which was dead, we changed to the PACE which has been fine ever since).

All the best,

Dr John Sim.

5. StooMonster

StooMonster

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +314
    Sky+ is really very good, and I understand is Dolby Digital 5.1 for movies (use DVDs meself). Also has the benefit of not losing any image quality for recording; it records the MPEG2 stream.

Coupled up with a JS Tech box, it's a great solution for plasma.

StooMonster