1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Plasma connections

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs' started by Krance, Nov 4, 2004.

1. Krance

Krance

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I will try to keep this as simple as possible, I am sure there are posts elsewhere that have these answers, sorry in advance.

I have all the equipment sitting in boxes so far as my last purchase, the Plasma, has yet to be ordered. What boards do I need is the question...?

So far I have Denon 3910 DVD Player, Yamaha RV-X 1400RDS Receiver and speakers etc.

I live in Holland and have decided that I should get digital TV to go with the Plasma. The company gave me a Nokia Mediamaster 119C, this only appears to have connections "RGB, CVBS" and optical for sound to the amp.

Being new to all this I have read that I can connect the DVD to the plasma direct with HDMI. Then I need cable from the wall to the Mediamaster to decode the digital signal for the Plasma.

I was thinking of purchasing "Pannasonic TH42PW7B" and I know I need the HDMI board for above, but how should I connect the mediamaster to the Plasma for the digital TV?. I have read everywhere that SCART is not a good connection to make... am I getting completly confused here? Does anyone know of a simple answer?

I am assuming that I should just get a component board in the Plasma too and then connect the SCART from the mediamaster to the component input on the Plasma? please help and try to keep it simple for me as i'm finding it hard enough to get my head around all this

2. Liam @ Prog AV

Liam @ Prog AV
    Well-known Member AVForums Sponsor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +827
    RGB Scart --> Component will not work without a converter to physically change the RGBs signal into a YUV one.

I would recomend using the VGA socket already on the plasma, and a RGB to Plasma VGA converter (you will also need a scart lead and a VGA lead). This will give the best picture without adding expensive processing.

3. Krance

Krance

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
  4. Liam @ Prog AV

Liam @ Prog AV

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +827
    Yes that's exactly it. They do some nice scarts and VGA there too, as do their resellers ;)

5. Krance

Krance

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Sorry to keep bothering you but... Is this the best connection I can do? as I have just seen that QED make the cable and converter in 1 "Q-SYNCH" and then I only need the VGA cable.

You also mentioned, "without adding expensive processing this is the best you can do". What is this expensive processing you are referring to?

6. Liam @ Prog AV

Liam @ Prog AV

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +827
    No worries fella! The QED jobbie is nice QED cable, but not as good at actual sync splicing as the JS box is. So while the cable is nice (although you can buy your own posh cables for the JS), the actual picture potential from the JS model is greater.

Processing. Not always a can of worms you want to open, can lead to very expensive case of upgraditis. But, if you want the absolute best from your plasma a dedicated video processor is the only way. Looking a £800-£2000+ for the device, you'll need to reconsider your wiring options and allow extra budget for that too. If you want to go the processing route stop and talk to a dealer about it, have a look at the Video Processing forum here (near the bottom of the main page) to get an idea of the complication it can entail!! These are not simple plug and play devices, even the most technically adept on this forum go through a hugely difficult process when they try to integrate a video processor themselves.

7. Krance

Krance

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    OK, just wondered.... I have enough worms on the floor at the moment without opening a new can

thanks for your help.

last question and I promise.. I see that J.S Technology also do a switch to component signal, using this along with a component board on the panasonic would be any better? or just stick with a good VGA cable.

8. Liam @ Prog AV

Liam @ Prog AV

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +827
    VGA approach is slightly better (not by much). Component is better option of you want to switch devices through an AV amp but you don't need to so I would suggest VGA.

9. Krance

Krance

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Did I promise that was the last question....

How will I see the onscreen menu from the amp if I don't go through the amp? I think we have concluded it is better to bypass the amp for all video source, DVD through HDMI and Digital television through cable >>>>>> eventually VGA on Plasma.

I assume if I want to see this menu then I need to convert to component and then put that through the amp and then onto the Plasma (means 1 extra set of cables and I am not sure if the amp will diminish the picture quality in any way)...

I am worried that without the onscreen menu I will never be able to set the Yamamha up correctly through that little screen at the front... I have a headache now :-(

10. Liam @ Prog AV

Liam @ Prog AV

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +827
    There is always going to be a quality disadvantage of running a signal via an amp, but if it makes it easier for you then that is the priority.

11. Krance

Krance

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    thanks for being helpful and patient.... probably purchase a few of the above mentioned items at Progressive Audio Visual now... I value service over the extra few quid here and there. Shame you don't have the PWD7 listed.

Thanks again...

12. Barend

Barend

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    My 3910 outputs an extremely sharp and brick stable pic to my Panny TH42-PWD6EX Plasma, via my Arcam AVR300 through YUV cables.
    However, this was accomplished only since I carefully matched the Denon and Panny settings helped by the AVIA disc.
    This not very easy to do if you want the maximum quality, but don't give up and you'll end up with a gorgeous image with deep blacks, fine dark details and radiant whites.
    Beware of the 7.5 IRE setting or otherwise setting the luminance too high, as this will definitely smudge your picture!
    For starters, the plasma's contrast was way too high in NORMAL mode, as were the hor/vert pic size settings grossly overscanned as a default.
    Fortunately, my Topfield set top box has a YUV output so the TV pics are now very good too, though not as glorious as a good DVD.
    I fiddled with both setting the Denon and the Panny to get a good pic from all sources, because my wife hates to see menu's popping up during movie watching...
    As the Panny won't accept PAL dvi signals I tried dvi for PAL discs by using the 3910's internal PAL-to-NTSC conversion, but I preferred the yuv progressive scan setting.
    As a matter of fact, spinning an ntsc disc thru hdmi/dvi was ever so slightly better (noise) than yuv, but not worth switching the display to dvi.
    Good luck too all!
    Barend :)

13. Liam @ Prog AV

Liam @ Prog AV

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +827
    PWD7 is about to go online...

14. Krance

Krance

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Well, finally decided to go for the Panny TH42 PWD7 ... hope it is a good choice. Not delivered yet but on the way shortly

Barend, you seem so knowledgable in this area but I am afraid you completely lost me with all the information... Are you suggesting a better connection alternative? forgetting HDMI straight from the DVD... or am I still on the right track?

The more I read into it the less I understand.. my idea is still the same as above but welcome any better setup if possible