1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Plasma connection

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs' started by woody123, Jun 30, 2003.

1. woody123

woody123
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Hi All,

I'm about to purchase a Panny plasma TH42PW5B.

My current setup means I have a Widescreen TV on one side of the room and on the other all my A/V kit eg. Amp, DVD, Freeview and Xbox.

To connect all the a/v/ kit to the TV I have a single Scart cable.

I have a scart switcher box that automatically takes its inputs from the dvd, xbox etc and outputs the signal on just a single scart that plugs into the TV. It works and automatically switches very well.

My question.

Does the Panny have a Scart input - I cannot see anywhere mentioning that it does?

If it does not, the scart switcher box I have also has a VGA output just for plasma screens. If I use this will the widescreen autoswitching still work? - by this I mean will the plasma be able to detect a widescreen presentation over a VGA cable in the same was that my current widescreen does over a scart cable?

Sorry for the waffle - thanks for any help in adv.

Cheers

Woody(123)

2. MAW

MAW
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +412
    I'm intrigued by your scart switch box! No, the Panny has no scarts, you could try the switch box VGA, it might well work, and give a good picture if it does. The usual solution is to use a RGB conversion device, the JS ones are favoured around here. Widescreen switching won't work via VGA, but will via component video, you could use a RGB to component converter from the scart socket, assuming all devices you are using are RGB capable, and if they aren't they should be to use with such a sexy high end display!

3. woody123

woody123
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Cheers MAW for the reply.

Some info on the Scart box if your interested is available here...

http://www.syncblaster.com/Scart_Commander.html

I'm now looking at the Series 6 Pannys as the basic consumer version appears to come with a Scart connection.

Thanks.

4. Joe Fernand

Joe Fernand
    Distinguished Member AVForums Sponsor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,572
    Confusion still reigns.

woody123

There must be about 20% of the Forums archive covering this topic - do a search for a bit of background.

So a few points to consider:

Panasonic 5 Series Displays -
    The TH-42PWD5BX (Charcoal) and the TH-42PW5B (Silver) dont have a SCART input option.

Both of these units do have an option to fit a Tuner terminal board that then enables you to connect up the TU600B Tuner/SCART switch - though this is an expensive (£500) option and you are limited to a 10.0m interconnect cable between the two units.

Panasonic 6 Series Displays -
    The new TH-42PWD6BX (Charcoal) and the TH-42PW6B (Silver) will be available in the next two to three weeks.

These new units do have the option of a SCART input board in addition to the connectivity options found on the 5 Series Displays.

Panasonic 6 Series Integrated TV -
    Not available until later in the year these new units will have a full compliment of 'on-board' SCART inputs.

Signal types -
    Whilst your Keene SCART switch can route various signal types (Composite, S-Video and RGB) the Plasma Display require that you only have one signal type selected in the input menu.

So whilst you can hook lots of devices to the Keene switch you need to ensure they are all set to RGB (assuming they all have RGB) if you want the best connection into the display or you have to compromise and have all Composite or S-Video input signals.

Signal conversion -
    Assuming you can have an all RGB set of source signals the output of your Keene switch also needs a little help to enable it to interface properly with any of the NON SCART plasma displays. Usually we use a JS Technology RGB2VGA or RGB2YUV converter.

So still a fair few questions/options for you to consider but dont feel you are limited by the apparent lack of a SCART input on any of the displays - there are plenty of ways around your connectivity requirements; you just have to do the homework or enlist someone who can help you through the video anagram maze!

Best regards

Joe

5. symanski

symanski

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    As Joe states, there's various ways to connect to the Panasonic screen. It really does depend on your source equipment, what outputs these have and if you have other video switching solutions.

Freeview and XBox (with MS Advanced SCART) are both RGB, which can interface via an RGB to Plasma VGA unit. Your DVD player might have component video output, which I'd use if you could. Video recorder should just go direct to your screen.

All the best,

Dr John Sim.