1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Plasma confusion

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs' started by christhedon, Oct 24, 2004.

1. christhedon

christhedon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    Hi,

As a bit of background I was just about to purchase a toshiba 36zp48, when a mate of mine said have you considered a plasma considering that you can get one for a few hundred more...

Then the saga began... I really need some simplistic answers to some what may seem quite ignorant questions.

TH42PWD6BX People seem to be going on about that.

Is it just a screen? I don't see a mention of a remote, is that where this board people are talking about comes in. The board is like a tv tuner with interfaces to other equipment, like DVD players, computers etc?

I guess the board would make a big difference to what the picture is like? Is it easy to fit, or do you need to be an engineer?

Then would I need to buy a stand? What else would I need?

Please help. Thanks,

Chris

2. MAW

MAW
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +412
    The screen in question is just a screen. It has a remote, for on/off and input selection. It has an inbuilt amp, stereo. The amp is OK but speakers are way overpriced, it's common to run non panasonic speakers, it has spring clip connectors so this is easy. It's usual to use a digital TV set top box as a tuner, and you choose the input boards accoring to what you want to connect, and whether you have video switching or intend to buy it as part of your AV surround amp. It's a panel around which can be built a rocking home cinema, you can integrate just about anything, consoles, PC's etc etc. Beware of the study taking over your life.

3. christhedon

christhedon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    Thanks MAW :) I like that quote a lot. But I feel like I have to at least be a little educated when spending this much.

So Ok If I understand correctly.

The bare basic on the screen is speakers and a remote.

It doesn't have
    TV tuner
    Connections for other equipment?

Is that right?

4. quattro

quattro

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +16
    No speakers either but connections to allow you to connect some controled by the remote aswell, not nesserverily Panasonic ones.

5. MAW

MAW
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +412
    Quattro is of course right, I have misled you into thinking the speakers are included, they are not, and the Panasonic ones are £300 or something stupid. Strangely I've never sold a pair! But it's not quite true to say no connections are included, I usually reckon about 3/4 of my installs have no video boards installed, you can do many things with the computer BGA port that's on the screen. I'm inermittently watching the Brazilian GP on a PW6 with no boards. It accepts component video, which is a top video signal that is often switchable by AV amps. Things like the Yamaha 550, costing around £250. Add a Yam DVD player and a Netgem freeview set top box for £65 these days, and you are away.

6. christhedon

christhedon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    Ok - let me try see if I understand you correctly this time.

When you buy the screen, you get:
    1) A screen
    2) Speak connections for stereo pair of speakers
    3) 1 connection for a computer

You don't get
    1) A tuner
    2) Connection for a DVD player

Thanks,

Chris

7. MAW

MAW
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +412
    Ah but the PC connection is multi purpose. You can, with the right other kit, not need any other connections.

8. christhedon

christhedon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    How important are the connections to the overall quality of image etc? I'm assuming you are meaning some kind of adaptors to make the screen work with other things?

9. MAW

MAW
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +412
    Very often just a specially wired cable. The image quality with this is close to as good as it gets. You have to spend serious money to improve it anyway. Not that many people choose to do that, it's for people who are total nuts on picture quality. For most, giving the panel a good video feed and having a stab at calibrating it is quite enough. Things to avoid: Panasonic's analogue tuner, composite video connections, toshiba DVD players (nothing wrong with them, they just don't always agree with Panasonic screens) and buying too many connection boards, it will just complicate your life.