1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Plasma Conections

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs' started by /\/\j17, Jul 15, 2003.

1. /\/\j17

/\/\j17
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi, I'm almost ready to make the plasma plundge (I think - not quite sure the bank manager agrees but...) and want some advice on hooking everything up.

OK, first up I'm leaning towards the Pioneer 433MXE at the moment as a display.

For audio I have
    Yamaha DSP-A5 (does composite or s-vhs switching fyi)
    B&W 602.2/601.2/LCR6

For video I have
    Sky box
    VHS
    Panasonic DVD player, but plan to upgrade to a Harman Karmon DVD25

Now for the DVD I want to use component, and from what I've read on here I want to run everything else RGB Scart -> Scart switch box -> JS Technology converter box.

Now my questions are
    1) Does the 433MXE come with component connectors - I'm not clear on if it does or if I need to explicitly by a PD-5002 video plug-in card. Most reatailers don't even mention anything like that.

2) Assuming it does, is it just one set? I want the best picture quality I can get from all sources, which would suggest a JS RGB->component converter I believe, but this doesn't seem to have any 'pass-through' component inputs so I'd be left switching connectors on the back of the plasma to switch between DVD and everything else.

3) Exactly how does VGA input compair to component (as one option in Q2 would be to get a JS RGB->VGA box to connect up everything appart fro the DVD, leaving the DVD perminently connected to the component inputs.

Can anyone help me out!

( Q4, why did Plasma manufacturers have to make this so complicated! ^_^)

yours,

/\/\j17

2. Dutch

Dutch

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +282
    Hi,

1) The MXE can take component video through the VGA and the RGBHV connectors - just select component in the menus. The PDA-5002 has DVI, S-video and composite inputs and needs to be fitted to get component through the RGB connectors.

2) 2 inputs - see above.

3)I've got Sky via a JS Tech RGB to VGA converter and am pleased with the picture, although some of the low bit-rate channels leave something to be desired.

Hope this helps.
    Steve

3. /\/\j17

/\/\j17
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for the reply Dutch.

It sounds like the JS RGB->VGA will be the best bet for my general video sources, but I'm still not sure about the rest of your reply.

With a bog standard 433MXE will I have a set of connectors that can take a component signal from my DVD player and give me progressive scan, or would I need the card?

4. tbrar

tbrar
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi,

I beleive you will need the 5002 board. Although the display has the BNC connectors in place, without the board it wont take a component signal from your DVD player.

The display is a commercial, not consumer, model. Hence although does have advantages (eg: better video processing/modular input), it ships as though it will be connected to a PC.

Most dealers will bundle the board into the cost.

Hope this helps.

5. MarkE19

MarkE19

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,393
    Dr John Sim who makes these boxes claims that the VGA unit gives better results than the component unit, and the VGA unit is cheaper.

Because they can !!!!! :devil: :laugh:

Mark.

6. tbrar

tbrar
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Just to confirm re: question (1), I looked through my manuals & other forum posts last night & the following summarises MXE connectivity;

When you receive your PDP-433MXE, on the plasma itself you have the following;

Input 01 (RGBHV for PC)
    VGA + Audio in
    VGA + Audio out

Input 02 (RGBHV for PC)
    5xBNC

Control
    RS232 (15 pin)
    Pioneer Control (3.5mm)

And a blank plate covering the expansion socket. Left as it is you can only input a PC signal into the display.

The PDA-5002 Video card, will add the following inputs;

Input 03
    S-Video + audio

Input 04
    Composite video + audio (in and out)

Input 05
    DVI digital RGB

With the PDA-5002 installed both Inputs 1 and 2 can be configured for RGB and YUV Video via the on screen menu.

7. Joe Fernand

Joe Fernand
    Distinguished Member AVForums Sponsor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,593
    MJ17 (I'm not even attempting your 'Logo')

Your on the right track though you will possibly have to rethink the VHS as unless its a very rare beast it wont have RGB out.

The Pioneer PDP-433MXE will most likely come bundled with a PDA-5002 card (and depending on your dealer you may be asked to fit it yourself).

Sky Digibox>Plasma - a JS Technology RGB2VGA or RGB2YUV converter will be ideal; there's not much to choose between either though you loose one stretch mode when you go RGB2VGA.

Custom cables to suit ether converter are not a problem and 3BNC or 15 Pin D-Sub at the plasma end for the YUV converter is pretty straightforward.

Sky Digibox>VHS - once you've set the Digibox to RGB you'll most likely have to connect the Digibox to your VHS via the RF connector.

VHS>Plasma - most likely SCART to 1BNC for Composite video.

DVD>Plasma - if your current model has SCART RGB you can chain it into your Digibox for now and once you 'Upgrade' you can get something with Progressive YUV on 3RCA.

Best regards

Joe

8. /\/\j17

/\/\j17
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks very much for your help every one. I THINK I know what's what now! ^_^