1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Plasma, component connection & xbox

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs' started by zedzed, Jul 26, 2004.

1. zedzed

zedzed

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    Hi all,

I'm looking for some opinions here.

I'm going to get a Plasma soon (Panny PW6) - and I'm wondering how to connect my xbox to it. I know that I can mod my xbox (either through software hack or chip) and get it to output a progressive signal.

Thing is though, I've read that the PW6 does a good job of taking an interlaced signal and "scaling it up" to give a good PQ (like from my DVD player - a sony DAV-S550)

So ... that being the case, is it worth going down the "mod" route with the xbox and getting the advanced (component) cable, or do I just stick with my (Gamester?) advance cable which is RGB scart?

Cheers in advance,

ZedZed

2. junpit

junpit

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi

By modding it and buying yourself the official kit, you can configure your gameplay for progressive scan and some games go further and allow for 720p and 1080i which is monstrous. I'm not sure if the PW6 can handle that kind of input as its quite a low res plasma.

First of all you need to plug in your HD av pack, then you need to download and run the enigmah video mode switcher to set your console to NTSC. Then you configure the screen option in the dashboard for 480p, 720p and 1080i. Once you've done that your away.

Freedom fighters looks ace in 720p. If you run a modded box you can also patch the dvd player to output in 480p too. This is a real bonus as MS disable the progressive scan option when playing DVDs.

3. zedzed

zedzed

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    Thanks for the input junpit.

I guess what I'm asking is "is it worth the extra cash to mod my xbox and get a new high def. pack"? - as this is gonna cost approx £100. Or will my plasma do a good job of displaying the 480i singal - so it's not worth the bother?

ZZ

4. sargetheboss

sargetheboss

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    hello mate
    I have a chipped xbox and it is just connected through a rgb scart lead and i think the picture looks great.Is .it worth wasting £100 .Try connecting all your equipment through the rgb to vga box as they are popular on this forum.Not got one myself yet but thinking about it. :thumbsup:
    http://www.js-technology.com/rgb-vga/index.htm

5. junpit

junpit

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi

The justification for modding comes down to more than PQ. Yes PQ is going to be OK. Strictly speaking your unmodified xbox won't ever try to display a 480i signal as 480i is NTSC. It will try to do a PAL60 which is equivalent to 576i. This is better than 480i as the frame rate is the same but there is more info.

Some things aren't possible with an unmodded PAL xbox.

Displaying a movie in 480p
    Playing a game in 480p, 720p or 1080i
    Playing imported NTSC games
    Playing R1 DVDs*

I would always say that spending the money is worthwhile. Generally try buying a progressive scan DVD player for less than £100. If you've not had a large plasma before, then bear in mind that you are emphasising the imperfections on such a big screen. If you watch normal (non HD) TV on a 60" screen say, you will notice the artifacts (if your close enough). You do get use to it and start ignoring this but it is noticeable at first. The ability to watch Dvds in 480p makes a huge difference with a 42" TV. Your intended TV is a progressive display (I think). As such you will think that the difference is amazing.

Its a real pity MS didn't support 576p at 60hz as this is supported by my TV and it would have been awesome. I've had to mod my box to get 480p and I've not regretted it one bit. Splinter Cell PT looks absolutely awesome like this and once you get 480p for the first time, you will want to revisit your games as it adds an entirely better game experience the second time round.