Plasma comparison - advice?

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs Forum' started by RossC, Apr 16, 2003.

1. RossC

RossC
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Hi,

About to plunge in to the world of plasma, researched etc and have narrowed it down to the following:

Panasonic/Toshiba 5 series 42

Sony KZ42TS-1 (graded stock)

Hitachi 42PMA4200E

Each has its pros (Sony has built in tuner, speakers etc, Hitachi has just had a rave review, Tosh/Panasoinc is the standard setter accordign to most people).

The panasonic seems to be the choice product but is the lower resolution an issue?

Also not seen them side by side and don't know where to find all three for a fair comparison. Anyone here got any thoughts on which is the best long term bet for everyday viewing?

Was planning on using a freeview box - probably Pace Twin via S-video - to feed the display only models for normal day to day viewing.

Thanks

2. symanski

symanski

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    I've not seen a side by side comparison with these models, but have seen the Panasonic next to entry level screens. There's no comparison.

Graded stock - see it before buying.

Resolution isn't a big issue unless you want to use the screen with your computer to do office type work. While some screens only have 480 lines, and PAL has 570, you've got to remember that only half of the 570 lines are shown at any one time. So you've really trying to display 285 lines in to 480.

As for connecting via S-Video, this is quite good. But you could do better with RGB (via an interface) or convertering to component. Well worth getting the best out of such screens.

All the best,

Dr John Sim.

3. RossC

RossC
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Thanks - also spoke with a company called the media factory who were really helpful - basically suggested the Pioneer as the best option for future proof upgradeability/conectivity/resolution etc. Hitachi has a nosiy fan, Panasonic very good but parhaps lacking on the connections front.... Guess I'll be talking to them again soon.

4. Spanjab

Spanjab
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    I have the Panasonic and it does look amazing, bright clear and sharp. The resolution isn't an issue at all for home cinema use unless you are planning to be quite close to the screen.

As said before connections could be a problem and the tuner for it imo is poor as it really weakens the component picture.

5. dave.ads

dave.ads

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Everyone always says that resolution isnt an issue but I bought my pioneer 43 inch after comparing it to the lower resolution panny in a shop. I could clearly see less detail on the panny. On one scene the background had in it some wallpaper, on the panny the pattern was a small green splodge, on the pioneer it was a maple leaf.

On top of that I thought the colours on the panasonic were much more blotchy. By this i mean on a gradual colour change such as a face or the sky you could see definite colour banding, I think the proper term for this is posterisation. I never get this on the Pioneer.

Cheers Dave