Plasma comparable to good old crt-tv?

mozart

Standard Member
Reaction score
Is plasma starting to be comparable to a top crt-set for viewing dvds? I understand the Panasonic TH-42pw7 is as good as plasmas get nowadays, but is black-level and details good enough? Is the missing lines (480 vs 576) painfully lo-res on a display this size? I've only been showed pw6 with normal tv-signals and it looked a bit soft and artificial. Is that due to poor signal or should I expect much of the same with dvd? I've got an Arcam dv29, so the display will be fed HDMI signal (better than component, right?).
Thanks a lot, guys!

If you want to see what a big screen can do then please don't feed it a tv signal. Put on a DVD using the best available connection and then judge, it will be vastly better.

Personally, I won't be buying a plasma.

Thanks, Daneel. Do you think the technology still is inferior to crt? I'd love a bigger screen, but I won't step down quality-wise. I have a 32 Philips DNM-tv, and I'm happy with the picture. It's just a bit small...

I had a Sony wega 32"crt for 5 years until September and resisted changing because I loved the picture quality.
I now have a 42" Pan viera, which I had calibrated. In my opinion the PQ on DVD is far better with the viera than the crt and with Tv/Sky it is as good, if not better.I love it .
(Warning: I went via a Samsung 42" plasma which I sent back as the PQ is so poor as to be unwatchable)

In my opinion when considering a plasma you have to look at the overall package ie the advantages of a 42inch flat sceen.

The character of a plasma is, just, different. LCD is different again. There are advantages and disadvantages of both types of display and it is not a clear cut thing to say one is better.

The plasma is not good at displaying poor sources. All the analogue imperfections such as poor sharpness and noise get converted into a horrible digital mess. So use DVD/ Sky/Cable or Free view and you will appreciate something which is more pleasing than a 32 inch TV.

Agree with most of what has been said. I swapped my Sony 32" Wega for a 50" Pannasonic HD screen, the results are stunning. It does however depend on the quality of the source, and the comparisons are sometimes unfair. A 50" CRT (were they available) or even 42" would not be as good as your 32".

The simple fact is that UK TV broadcast was not designed for large screens, DVDs are a little better. You cannot afford to lose any signal quality and must use decent cables, decent connectivity (no composite) and you are in with half a chance. I used to think that the HiFi/AV buffs that advocated huge spends on cables had disappeared up their own backsides, but I have done the comparisons - it does make a difference.

I watch a 50" from 14 ft, and its fine - Use a JS RGB>VGA converter and SKY+ is good. Although channel quality does vary. Further improvements can be had by purchasing external scalers that interpolate the picture to a higher resolution, but you can add another grand for one of those.

Thanks a lot for your replies, happyh, Cliff and Andrew_P_S. As plasma is a digital technology, HDMI should be the best bet for connecting to a dvd player, shouldn't it? No degrading DA + AD conversions? Anyone tried?

...so the theory goes!

Not always that simple. Whilst there is no doubting that HDMI/DVI will eventually be the standard digital connection, it is currently in its infancy and many report a better picture through component. Certain kit seems better with certain kit, so a demo is a must IMHO (or sale & return!)

HDMI ability is also not a guarantee of future proofing your kit. Two important things are needed, the first is HDCP compliance - a way of securing the copryright of broadcasts, something the studios will insist on for High Definition. SKY have announced that the majority of their HD broadcasts will require HDCP compliance.

The second issue, and one which Panasonic have yet to sort out, is 50Hz HD signals. Currently they only accept 60Hz, with 50Hz being the European standard.

HDMI does not unfortunately banish you connection woes for good!

Cliff said:
The plasma is not good at displaying poor sources. All the analogue imperfections such as poor sharpness and noise get converted into a horrible digital mess. So use DVD/ Sky/Cable or Free view and you will appreciate something which is more pleasing than a 32 inch TV.

The LCD is a lot worse in my opinion for LQ sources..if you already watched TV or a DVD on a pc monitor you'll know what I mean..you see a lot more details on LCDs..details you are not really supposed to view in fact !

I think Plasmas are in the middle concerning LQ sources CRT being the best and LCD the worst.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom