Plasma Clicking Sound Whilst in Standby??

hybridtheory

Hi

I've own two plasma TV's, a Panasonic V10 and VT30. Ever since owning a plasma Ive noticed that when in standby I'd hear a click from from them. Just like the same click sound u would hear when u bring the TV out of standby. It's never bothered me.

A colleague in work who recently got a plasma TV noticed the same with his and asked if I knew what caused it, so it got me wondering and here I am.

What is it that causes this clicking noise when the plasma is in standby and why does it do it?

Thanks

Baz

Insanity202

Distinguished Member
Panasonic plasmas by any chance?
I think they power up to check for updates...i think.

hybridtheory

Panasonic plasmas by any chance?
I think they power up to check for updates...i think.
Hi

The V10 and VT30's r Panasonic's but my colleague at work, his is a Samsung.

Baz

TONYELISE

Novice Member
Hi

I've own two plasma TV's, a Panasonic V10 and VT30. Ever since owning a plasma Ive noticed that when in standby I'd hear a click from from them. Just like the same click sound u would hear when u bring the TV out of standby. It's never bothered me.

A colleague in work who recently got a plasma TV noticed the same with his and asked if I knew what caused it, so it got me wondering and here I am.

What is it that causes this clicking noise when the plasma is in standby and why does it do it?

Thanks

Baz
Hi Baz

My VT50 does the same when you turn it off it dont click for about 5 mins then clicks once and also i can see it then stops power going to my usb key i can see the light on the usb key go off,but also if the set has been off long enough to have clicked it then takes a few secs of holding the power on button and then it clicks when it comes on but if you turn it off and then on again before it clicks the tv comes straight on without a click,im not sure but would imagine the psu has some sort of circuit that holds a charge for a quicker start up,this could be wrong im not an electriction but my 50vt30,55vt50 did the same.

Tony

Andrew1472

Distinguished Member
Hi Baz

My VT50 does the same when you turn it off it dont click for about 5 mins then clicks once and also i can see it then stops power going to my usb key i can see the light on the usb key go off,but also if the set has been off long enough to have clicked it then takes a few secs of holding the power on button and then it clicks when it comes on but if you turn it off and then on again before it clicks the tv comes straight on without a click,im not sure but would imagine the psu has some sort of circuit that holds a charge for a quicker start up,this could be wrong im not an electriction but my 50vt30,55vt50 did the same.

Tony
Yep, sounds right.
Sony's do exactly the same for a quick start for 5 to 10 minutes after going into standby. They then go into a deep sleep for want of a better expression and take longer to power up again.
They also wake up to check for firmware updates occasionally as John said.
They click every time either of those happen.
Samsung probably do something similar I guess.

fluxo

Distinguished Member
You can disable the checking for firmare updates, but that is not all
that is happening. The VT30 powers up several times a day (I think
it's 6 or so) to try to download adverts to insert into the EPG. It took
a long time for me to discover that it was this that was happening.

If left in standby for 5 years, the VT30 would power on and off
approximately eleven thousand times so that it can try - even if you
have no aerial connected - to download these adverts.

The latest video from AVForums

Panasonic HZ2000 4K OLED TV Review | The best OLED for movie viewing in 2020
Top Bottom