1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Plasma Choices

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs' started by dinarly, Apr 8, 2003.

1. dinarly

dinarly
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Finally I’m ready to buy a plasma panel and now I can’t decide. I want a 50 inch panel which will allow me to connect a DVD player, Sky+ Digi Box, Xbox, PS2 and HTPC.

I want the panel to give the best picture (obviously). I also want to future proof as much as poss. I would like to add DVI input (with support for HDCP) when it’s available.

I know the new Fujitsu panel supports DVI now but I am concerned about the noise from the cooling fans.

The Pioneer can add it with third party cards – but is the picture quality as good as the Fujitsu or Panasonic?

Are there alternatives I should consider that offer the quality, silence and upgrade options I’m looking for?

2. IanM

IanM

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    Dinarly,

I've got the same set up as you are proposing (without the PS2) and have a Fujitsu P50XHA10 screen, which I'm very happy with in terms of connections and especially picture quality.

However the fan noise is definitely noticeable when things are quiet and you specifically listen for it. Luckily (if that's the right word) my workplace is a loud environment with plenty of computer equipment, so it's an almost familiar background noise that I rarely notice.

I can imagine that people who are sensitive to it (and it sounds like you are from your post) would find it annoying. Having said that, the screen is considered the "latest and greatest" in the US and yet I haven't seen anyone moan about the fan noise on their www.avsforum.com. Although this might be just because no-one wants to admit that it bugs them, having forked out so much money for it!

As a guide to the level of noise, it's noticeably louder than my Sky+ box (although this has a 120Gb FDB drive, which is a bit quieter than the factory fitted model) but much quieter than an average (non HT) PC.

I believe that someone on the forums said that there was an engineers' remote or hidden engineers' menus that allow you to control the fan speed, but obviously this could have stability issues. I'd imagine that over-engineering and the need to cater for very hot environments would leave some room for slowing them down though.

One advantage is that it wasn't too difficult to make my HTPC "silent" in comparison...:)

Cheers,
    Ian