Plasma choice

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs Forum' started by dvdviewer, Feb 26, 2002.

1. dvdviewer

dvdviewer
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have decided to take the plunge into plasma. This will be for home use.

Panasonic seems to have generally high marks.

Does anyone know if there are any differences between the Panasonic TH-42PW4B and TH-42PWD4 apart from the charcoal frame, the amplifier and the price?

Is there anything else i should know?

Have any better plasma screens been introduced recently in the same price range?

Suggestions gratefully received.

2. Lizzard

Lizzard

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Not any new ones introduced in the same price range.

The Panny 42" is the best right now out there.

However,

If you can afford to pay a little bit more you can get the Pioneer 43" PDP-433HDE which is i think the best plasma you can buy in the 42-43" range.

The Pioneer got higher resolution than the Panny.

But you cant go wrong with neither of them.

3. Ten

Ten
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    the d4 has it's inputs via bnc and i think u have more flexibilty adjusting the colours

4. akash

akash
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    speak to joe fernand. he is your guy for plasma.

totally cool and down to earth guy. will give you an excellent service.

akash

5. Joe Fernand

Joe Fernand
    Distinguished Member AVForums Sponsor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,257
    Hello all

Akash - I think that's possibly the first time anyone has ever called me 'cool'; cheers for the vote of confidence.

DVDviewer - unless you require the simplified connectivity and more 'TV like' control functions on the new Pioneer PDP-433HDE I would still stick with the Panasonic TH-42PWD4EX as my first choice of 42" plasma display.

Please don't get me wrong I am looking forward to supplying many customer with this new PlasmaTV - its just that its maybe aimed at a different sector of the plasma market than the true 'enthusiast'.

Please remember that the PDP-433HDE does not give you the option to go down the DVI input route - the new PDP-433MXE, due for release late June 2002, is maybe a better alternative to the Panasonic plasma display.

There are a few differences between the two Panasonic models you have indicated - the first and most visible being the colour of the screen surround. So:

A. Panasonic TH-42PW4B - consumer 42" plasma display in Silver.

VGA input with Composite video, S-Video and Component video on the RCA terminal board.

Limited access to set up menus - some of the integrator features are 'hidden' on this model; they can be accessed but not straight from the top level menus.

FCC classification for 'domestic' use.

B. Panasonic TH-42PWD4EX/BX - industrial 42" plasma display in Charcoal.

Two choices of video input boards:

01. VGA input with Composite video, S-Video and Component video on the BNC terminal board.

02. VGA input with Composite video, S-Video and DVI Digital RGB on the DVI terminal board.

You can only fit one of these boards at a time but you can swap the boards in/out at any time as required - please note that the BNC and DVI boards DO NOT work with the Consumer plasma display.

Top level access to the integrator set-up menus - allows more accurate panel set-up adjustments.

Three levels of user definable screen saver modes.

Lower price - there are far more of the industrial model sold in the UK and the pricing reflects this.

FCC classification for 'industrial' use.

I hope this information has been useful in your deliberations.

Regards

Joe

6. dvdviewer

dvdviewer
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Many thanks for the helpful replies.

7. MartinN

MartinN

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +12
    Joe does seem to be Mr Plasma.

I have been thinking about a 42" myself. My concern is the vertical resolution on the Panasonic is only 480. Seems a shame having to downgrade a DVD signal.

I'd really like the 50" panny but it's too big (and expensive - even at Joe's prices!)

So my question to Joe is - How much of an issue is the resolution, do you notice the difference?

Thanks

Martin

8. Napoleon

Napoleon
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    The 42" Panasonic is brighter than the 50",but has less resolution,so it's a difficult choice.

9. RobsterD

RobsterD

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +12
    I'm also in the market for a plasma after getting rid of my big hefty Sony,but now I'm confused as the best choice initially I was going for the Panny 42PW4B with the TV tuner but is it a general opinion that the D4 is the better option due to its different terminal boards and what is DVI ?
    I've seen the 4B in action but not the Pioneer PDP433HDE,is it worth waiting for the 433MXE as I've not seen any reviews on either.ITS ALOT OF MONEY and I really want the best as its gonna be a while before I upgrade again,any thoughts would be appreciated.

10. Joe Fernand

Joe Fernand

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,257
    Hello all

Been a bit hectic for the last few days so only just getting time to reply to your questions.

Martin:
    We sell quite a few of the Panasonic TH-42PWD4EX and the native resolution being a downgrade for DVD is not an issue - we have customers using everything from mid range Pioneer through to TAG and they are all very happy with this display.

We spend far more time trying to get the picture quality from SKY and the like to live up to the picture quality from DVD.

Regards

Joe

11. Joe Fernand

Joe Fernand

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,257
    Rob

Plenty of questions to be worked through and as you say a lot of money so don't rush it until you are absolutely sure - but equally don't worry it to death; one thing you can be sure of is that shortly after you purchase a display a new 'best buy' will be announced. Find a screen you are happy with and go for it knowing you are happy with its picture quality and you can always upgrade at some time in the future.

Panasonic - the tuner box is not exclusive to the 4B model; its just that it is sometimes packaged as a 'system' with this display.

The tuner can be purchased as an add on for the D4 model - though personally I don't find it the best way to spend £400+ to achieve additional options.

TH-42PWD4EX vs. TH-42PW4B - as per previous post unless the Silver bezel is a must have I would go with the D4 model.

Pioneer - PDP-433HDE only just arrived into stock. Looks good on a first short viewing though maybe still not the Panasonic beater we had been expecting. Certainly a much better, though more expensive, system than the Panasonic 4B and Tuner.

The 433HDE has been conceived from the start as a PlasmaTV and it works very well offering anyone wanting to replace a CRT TV with a Plasma screen a very user friendly option.

The 433MXE may well be worth the wait as it will have the 10-bit video processing as seen on the 503MXE - though as its not been seen as yet its hard to say.

DVI is a digital RGB signal offering a loss less connection between source and display device - DVI is only just starting to make an appearance in the PC market and at the top end of the DVD market - TAG, Faroudja and some custom modded players; so its possibly more of a future proofing exercise to have this option on current models.

Hope this all helps.

Regards

Joe