1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

plasma choice

Discussion in 'Televisions' started by sk1234, Oct 8, 2001.

1. sk1234

sk1234

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi, I;m in Hong Kong and am about to buy a Plasma. I can clearly see that the Panasonic is overwhelming the number one choice on this forun. However the price difference here seems silly.
    Panasonic is approx $8300
    NEC MP2 $6600
    Fuji 4229 is $5800
    Now, I've seen all the screens (although not altogether)...but unfortunately the presentation in HK by stores is just not very good - and a 4229 may look great in one shop (showing phantom menace) and then look useless in the next shop (showing toy story). Also the 4229 looks considerably better than the 4221 and 4214 - even though it is much cheaper.
    I would love to get the Panny, but really can't justify the such a ridiculous price (compared to overseas and the other 2)
    Please advise MP2 vs 4229.
    I've checked the review pages and the reviews vary widely
    UK reviews are very bad for NEC: http://www.whatvideotv.com/testbench/Televisions/NEC/NECPlasmasync42MP2.shtml http://www.home-entertainment.co.uk/grouptest_read.asp?GroupID=1371&ArticleID=1362
    US review is excellent www.dtvcity.com
    (I can also get the Toshiba for a good price but I have never seen any review for the Tosh.

2. DaveH

DaveH

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +18
    Hello,

Can you confirm these prices?

Are they in Hong Kong Dollars? If so then I need to go to Hong Kong and buy a couple of Plasmas!

3. sk1234

sk1234

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    sorry dave, it was misleading I first posted this message on a US board and thus had converted all the prices to US$.
    seems my best bet at the moment is to get the panny 4 in japan which is US$4300