1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Plasma Care Advice Please!

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs' started by Jezzaaa, Dec 22, 2004.

1. Jezzaaa

Jezzaaa

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi all - I'm new to the forum, and was wondering if I could get some advice.

I recently bought a Pioneer 435XDE screen, and am concerned about screen burning etc. I have my XBox connected in addition to the normal DVD player etc. A friend of mine told me that you shouldn't use game consoles with Plasma screens. Is there any truth to this? Are there any other rules which I should abide by to protect the screen from damage?

Many thanks,

J.

2. CarlitoBrigante

CarlitoBrigante

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    From what I've read on here, you should be alright with game consoles, but just be careful with how long you play something for.

Most games have some icon / radar etc which stays on the screen throughout the playing time (i.e. Pro Evo Soccer has the score, Radar and team names constantly on the screen). If you play for long periods of time this could creae screen burn, as you will have a static image constantly on the screen.

As long as you don't play on anything for longer than about 3 or 4 hours you should be okay.

3. Anthall

Anthall

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    People have different view on gaming on a plasma. But the general opinion seems to be that you should have rests from the static images if you are playing for extended periods. I.e watch some tv for a while.

Most games nowadays have break sequences at end of levels, etc, which does give the screen a rest for a while. So, i would advise, but others may say different, dont play for hours on end if you can help, for days on end, on the same game.

Im also refraining from playing games for the first 200hrs when the panel is apparently at it's most vunerable. Panels have improved and gaming wouldn't of been a good idea a few years ago.

Im sure people will add there opinion after me.

Have fun

4. dvdsubtitles

dvdsubtitles

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have a Pioneer 504 and for the first few weeks I noticed it was slightly susceptible to screen burn - nothing that didnt clear up though.

The best thing to do is to try and keep contrast as low as possible for the first 100 hours or so. The get your screen ISF calibrated. This makes a big difference not only to the picture but also helps to avoid screen burn. I now regularly watch DVDs with black bars top and bottom, and also play games, and have not noticed any ghost images or screen burn effects since ISF calibration.

Cheers,
    Mat

5. Jezzaaa

Jezzaaa

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi all - many thanks for all your advice.

Mat - what's ISF Calibration and who can do it for me?

Cheers,
    J.

6. dvdsubtitles

dvdsubtitles

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    It is described here:
    http://www.convergent-av.co.uk/calibration.html

In fact the person you need to speak to is Gordon at convergent av (same website above) - he did my screen.

It is not cheap, but if you have spent thousands on a plasma screen and you want to get the best out of it, it is definitely worth having and does make a big difference.

Cheers,
    Mat.

7. jaguar

jaguar
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Yes, be careful the first couple of hunderd hours.
    It seems to be more suspectable to burn in when it is new.
    I alsmost had burn-in after 4 days. After 2 days avoiding the Dicovery channel the logo went away.

If you change your settings to
    contrast 35
    Bright +1
    color -10
    imho the picture will be better then with the factory settings.
    And it is cheaper then calibration.

8. dvdsubtitles

dvdsubtitles

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Note that factory settings are not the same for all screens - even the same model. I think it would be a very bad idea to use settings suggested by other members on the forum - use a calibration disk, even a simple one such as the THX calibration on Lucasarts DVDs. By all means take note of other members' settings but dont rely on them being right for your screen.

Mat