Plasma calibration

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Buying & Building' started by sirjohnofbalham, Feb 18, 2002.

1. sirjohnofbalham

sirjohnofbalham

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Does anyone have experience of using the Avia test DVD? I have recently taken delivery of a Panny 42 plasma and am wondering what improvements could be achieved. The Avia website states that the disc test patterns are correct for NTSC only. I have spent some time experimenting with the picture settings by eye but would appreciate hearing from anyone who has used the DVD. My real question is, is it worth the money?

2. bh

bh
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    You'll find that any display device will benefit from calibration using a test disc especially when factory settings are likely to serve only to distinguish one model from another in a retail environment.

Given the large investment in your plasma screen, the relatively minor investment in a test disc will squeeze out some improvements in picture quality.

As for the NTSC issue, if your hardware is all compliant and your software collection is mainly R1, it's definately worth trying out (plus you should be able to save a picture setting specifically for NTSC signals whilst having another for PAL sources).

3. HBK757

HBK757
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Yes its well worth the $40. Whites will be the right tone of white, blacks will be deep in blackness. Colour/tint will be accurate as will sharpness ect... Believe me if you have an RPTV/Plasma or even a large CRT TV it's well worth buying. Your watching DVD's wrong otherwise. :D