1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Plasma Calibration

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs' started by m_j_s, Jan 20, 2005.

1. m_j_s

m_j_s
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    There were a couple of threads last Sept-Oct re calibration of plasmas, eg with the DVE DVD or similar including some discussion in relation to display of above and below black.

Some of us here in Melbourne have just had our panels "professionally" calibrated by one guy in Australia who does this sort of thing, and I was wondering if you guys (and girls) in the UK have any similar experience. The process involves sending various test signals to the panel and then using a spectrograhic thingy to sample directly from the screen into a laptop with the requisite software. Then you can easliy adjust things like colour temp, black levels, brightness amd more mundane things like sharpness, geometry etc etc (I don't fully understand all the technical details). Signal source for testing is either from an HD signal generator (in Australia we have (up to) 1080i free-to-air digital television) or using a DVD player with the test patterns from DVE/Avia etc. None of the test gear is particularly cheap.

I was very pleased with the results (Pio 50MXE1, which does has terrific calibration capabilities). No problem with black levels (DVE or THX tests), greyscale is great, picture is more 3-D like, general appearance of the picture is very uniform across all inputs (FTA digital, pay TV and DVD). Its not something that I believe could be easily achieved by eye usind DVE etc.

Anyway, thought you might find this of interest

2. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Somewhere near the M4 most of the time......
    Ratings:
    +1,215
    isf calibration is a similar thing but costs £250+ there are a couple of members who do this calibration (Gordon and Piers) and does give very good results..........DVE is £13 so a bit of a price difference,

3. Gordon @ Convergent AV

Gordon @ Convergent AV
    Distinguished Member AVForums Sponsor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,779
    Yes you can read about what is involved on my website in the services section

Gordon

4. m_j_s

m_j_s
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks Gordon,

Yes, that seems pretty much the same as what I was trying to describe.

Just out of interest, what fL level would you normally expect to get out of an MXE1. Mine's at about 62fL

regards
    Malcolm

5. Gordon @ Convergent AV

Gordon @ Convergent AV
    Distinguished Member AVForums Sponsor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,779
    I calibrate them to a state they are tracking gamma properly and do not appear to be overdriving the phosphor or burning folks retina's. I rarely pay any attention to the actual Ft Lambert figure...I am not convinced it is actually ever accurate anyway.

62 Ft lambert is very, very bright. Cinema's average around 12-15ft Lambert. I think a normal calibrated CRT TV should be something like 30, will need to go check

Gordon

6. mark raeburn

mark raeburn

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +19
    Gordon,

you website address doesn't seem to work!

7. Piers

Piers

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +227
    m j s,

i have to agree with Gordon. 62 fL is _way_ brighter than I would expect. Typical plasma panel, after calibration, is reading around 40 fL on my instruments. CRT TVs between 40 and 60 fL.

Piers

www.homecinemaengineering.com