Plasma calibration help!

pistolpete1

Prominent Member
Reaction score
I've got a 4 or 5 year old Panasonic TX-P50X60 plasma.

Since new I've had very conservative settings to limit any possible screen burn and imagine retention issues. The settings were as follows:

Contrast 47
Brightness 0
Colour 45

It was mentioned how dull the screen was the other day, so I decided to use a Pixar 'maximiser' on a blu ray to see what settings came up. The tests were for contrast and brightness only.

And the results were:

Contrast 93
Brightness +6
Colour 58 (moved by myself using my own judgement)

The screen looks much more vibrant now, but my concern is the Contrast at 93 (out of 100).
Does that seem too high? Will it cause issues with a plasma screen that has been used for 1000's of hours already?

Any help will be most grateful.

I don't know the model, so impossible to say what range the contrast should be set in. It does sound high however. On my calibrated VT contrast is 61, with brightness about the same as yours. Perhaps experiment with dialing it down to say 60, watch it for a while to get used to it, then slowly slide it up to see what looks best to your eyes.

I don't know the model, so impossible to say what range the contrast should be set in. It does sound high however. On my calibrated VT contrast is 61, with brightness about the same as yours. Perhaps experiment with dialing it down to say 60, watch it for a while to get used to it, then slowly slide it up to see what looks best to your eyes.
Moved to to 70 a while back.....It seems ok.

I have found on the vt65 that detail is crushed in highlights if you go much beyond 70 for contrast. but in a bright room it may well provide better shadow detail perception.

The room is quite bright with a windows opposite the screen. Saying that I do have a blackout blind down a lot....

The latest video from AVForums

Is Home Theater DEAD in 2024?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom