Plasma Calibration - can it fix.....

roman-r

Banned
Noticed on my PW7 - as well as current HD Plasmas in John Lewis - that often background colours effect skin tones i.e. the hue of a persons face changes dependent on the background.

This is definately not my Denon 2900s fault as seen it via Freeview as well so wondered if professional callibration would fix this?

Also my Denon 2900 doesn't provide quite as much black detail as I get from freeview. I've begun to understand a little about it's Gamma changes via it's "Pic Adj" settings but thinking again about calibration.

Any comments on what I can expect to gain from a calibration would be cordially welcome :)

Gordon @ Convergent AV

Distinguished Member
AVForums Sponsor
Calibration should, hopefully, give you peace of mind that what you see on screen is the most accurate you can get from your hardware. It cannot compensate for physical limitations of a display of course.

I can't say that I have noticed skin tones changing based on proximity of other colours. I wonder if what you are seeing is actually a greyscale non-linearity. IE colours actually change based on luminosity rather than on colour of areas nearby.

If I am correct in my assumption above then calibration will help.

The change in dark detail is a gamma thing, although incorrect setting of brightness will have an affect on this as well.

Gordon

roman-r

Banned
I can't say that I have noticed skin tones changing based on proximity of other colours. I wonder if what you are seeing is actually a greyscale non-linearity. IE colours actually change based on luminosity rather than on colour of areas nearby.
Gordon

Hi Gordon

When you say colours actually change can that be from say green to brown or are just meaning change of shade i.e. much darker or light version of same colour.

Cheers
Roman

Neil Davidson

AVForums Sponsor
Depending on how poor the gamma tracking in the display is then it couuld move from greenish to brownish.

As implied above, I would be looking at brightness setting as the culprit for reduced black detail on the DVD. If that didn't do anything it would be time to start looking at gamma tweaks.

HTH

Neil

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: Best Home Cinema Sources and B&W 805 D4 Speaker Review and more...
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom