1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Plasma buyers pls consider DVI /HDMI interface vs component in the future

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs' started by TVfreak, Apr 23, 2003.

1. TVfreak

TVfreak

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have been in the market for a new plasma for a while now and it was only after immersing myself in such forums like this that I can finally say I am in a better position (than before) to make an informed decision and also running into fellow lovers of AV who point you to new sources of info/technology.

Anyway, I have decided to put off my purchase till at least end of this year because of the advent of DVI/HDMi and i thot I just share some interesting literature on this which was pointed out to me by someone else with similar passion for AV. I am hoping that some experts out there can share more info and give your opinions on this post

Basically DVI/HDMI are "new" interfaces( to connect sources like DVD's, STBs,computers to display devices like HDTVS, plasmas, LCOS, LCDs etc...pretty much like component inputs, scarts, S-videos are interfaces to connect to and from etc. Diff here is that in their purest form, these connections allow for pure uncompressed passage of materials between sources and displays all in digital. No analog to digital conversions.

The catch, equipment will need DVI/HDMI ports and these ports need to be HDCP compliant, a control measure to prevent copyfright infringements so having a DVI/HDMI port alone without it being able to be HDCP compliant would mean you get no pics'

DVI is digital visual/video interface and HDMI is the replacement of DVI High definition Multimedia interface...which is set to replace DVI interfaces by Q3 2003 or before years end. It allows for greater bandwidth and also can carry both audio and video signals.

Again both these interfaces allow for pure uncompressed resolutions for HD sources, similar to component but with more clarity give it is digital and component is still analog at best.
    DVI=720P,1080i HDMI-=720P,1080i,1080P:rotfl:

HD DVD is still some time away cuz Hollywood probably worried (Is suspect) about copy infringements but with HDCP protection in equipment, old rules can be rewritten and higher resolution can soon be a reality.

How long till we see DVI/HDMI a std connection...not sure for some reason in UK, manufacturers were even slow in introducing component inputs on displays like TV whilst in places like Asia Autsralia etc they are even common in SD TVs!!

I have had my eyes on the Hitachi PD42- d3000 and recently posted a question to them about their DVI interface on the screen. I am still waiting for an answer...remember the DVI interfaces need to be HDCP compliant and in order to view HD materials another std also needs to be fulfilled(PLS GO TO LINKS AT BOTTOM OF POST TO SILICON IMAGE SITE)...hence when buying ask for these future proof interfaces and ask about them....it could be a mere 6mths to a year before this technology becomes common place and we are stuck with yesterday technology once more...of course then a whole bunch of new stuff could be worth waiting for again....tough reality of technology... but make informed decisions. For me these interfaces are the way to go....

Companies like Samsung have released HD DVD which upconverts 480i to 720P and 1080i....I am pretty the player will have a HDMI/DVi interface to connect to the display

http://www.samsung.com/Products/DVDPlayer/Pro_EndDVD/DVDPlayer_Pro_EndDVD_DVD_HD1000.htm

I think its just a matter of time before other mfgers follow suit and also in no time we will see HD-DVD given that it can be protected effectively by having all digital interfaces then adding protoocols/controls to that technolgy so nothing gets copied.

I know many will disagree with me waiting for this technology...I am not here to sway or make decsions just to share info I recently ran into and that has changed my buying decision. It really doesn't hurt that the technology that i am waiting for will is like at best end of the year....and also would future proof to some extent a purchase of some 3k pounds!!

Some other websites which will explain further the DVI/HDMI technology:

http://www.siliconimage.com/home.asp

Look under:

HDMI Interface: The Next A/V Standard
    DVI and HDMI: Interfaces for a New Age

Need help on buying guides to buying a Plasma, CRT etc go to:

http://www.hometheaterhifi.com/volume_10_1/feature-article-shopping-for-a-new-tv-3-2003.html

REALLY GOOD info too

Hope this helps, those who are more knowledgable about these interfaces pls help contribute to the knowledge base

Cheers!!

:lesson: :lesson:

2. Dutch

Dutch

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +271
    Hi,

Yes, DVI-HDCP and HDMI has previously been discussed on here. The Samsung HD1000 does not have a DVI-HDCP output, only composite, S-video and component. The component outputs will only allow a 720p or 1080i upconverted output from copy protected DVDs with a new firmware upgrade which is only available from one US retailer - see www.avsforum.com for details. The new HD931 will output 720p and 1080i only from the DVI-HDCP output. By the way, the HD931 will be $300, and the HD1000 is $1500. :eek:

Steve

3. Gordon @ Convergent AV

Gordon @ Convergent AV
    Distinguished Member AVForums Sponsor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,788
    DVI-Dual link also supports 1080P....Just need to find a device that can display it now....

HDMI is going to be interesting as is the transition from DVI.

DVI was introduced to go from PC's to Monitors down a short (ie less than 3m) cable. It wasn't designed to go further. The funny thing is that as it is a digital transmission from PC to Monitor there are no analogue to digital convertors required. So less parts...do you think that the manufacturers charge less for this new technology though? uh uh! Hopefully though that will change

Gordon

P.S. The reason there is such a small uptake on component and DVI on consumer displays in UK is that so few sources have/had either of those outputs.

4. Branxx

Branxx
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    TvFreak,

While all you have said is correct, the logic for no buying currently available models (i.e. those without DVI-HDCP) appears invalid.

Every plasma screen has VGA connection and the quality of video you can send via that is equal or will exceed DVI (note that DVI officially goes up to 1200x1600).

The benefits that come (including to accompanying restrictions) with DVD with those new DVI-HPCP interfaces have been for last several years open to anyone with a modest PC. The quality of DVD was always exceeding the type of interface that the manufacturers were able to fit into their boxes. Additionally, the new interfaces are there not for the consumer benefit and as such an active and informed consumer should reject them.

Whenever the new equipment comes with hot new interfaces it will be more expensive that the ‘old’ models. Why paying the higher price and having to wait when you can enjoy the same (or even better) quality now?

5. StooMonster

StooMonster

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +314
    One day there will be holographic 3D DVD players; and a screen with super bandwidth and higher resolution than eyes can see -- but the copy protection mechanism is evil -- should I wait for this technology or buy a plasma today?

It's simple, if you want to waste good viewing time and enjoyment on what may, or may not, arrive in the future then good for you. Go do something else instead.

For the rest of us, we shouldn't wait today for tomorrow's technology; and if it becomes impossible to enjoy content through existing interfaces, simply sell the old screen and buy a new one.

Also consider this, if HD-DVD makes an appearance soon, do you think players will be limited to one connection type? Thus limiting the market to tiny niche, or do you think they'll have every connection type possible to have largest market? Or will new formats be unplayable on PCs with well established VGA interface for displays, or unplayable on analogue devices such as CRTs -- I think not. Worrying about a single interface, to a format that has not got past prototyping, and is years from having any content, won't do you any good.

StooMonster

6. TVfreak

TVfreak

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    for details. The new HD931 will output 720p and 1080i only from the DVI-HDCP output. By the way, the HD931 will be $300, and the HD1000 is $1500. :eek:

Steve [/B][/QUOTE]

Dutch this sounds really good and kinds make me want to wait just maybe till the end of the year...Hmm???

However Branxx and StooMonster...you are RIGHT in Seizing the Day in terms of current technolgy....so should I buy or should I not now....

Dunno I think I will may just choose to wait it out till maybe late quarter 4 this year then I will unleash the cheque book clap: .....and hopefully will join the thousands before me enjoying unadulterated PLASMA BLISS ::smoke:
    See the problem is that for me this is a HUGE investmentfor me....and I feel that giving this new interace a shot and whatever new technolgy that appears from now till Q4 this year.....with Panny introducing the 6 series etc (July/June?) and who knows what else the other comapanies will be doing to up the ante...

Anyway for those wondering about the Hitachi screen got a reply from them: DVI but not HDCP

Thanks for your mail which has been passed to me for reply.
    The "DVI" interface on our 42PD3000 uses a DVI plug but is a proprietary
    Hitachi connection along with an 8 pin mini din plug. It cannot be used
    for connection with a product with a DVI output, only as a connection
    to the the multimedia tuner box. This leads carries digital Video and
    Audio signals and the 8pin mini din carries control information. We do
    not have HDMI or HDCP connections on the European product as these are
    used for HDTV and there is no plan for this for Europe. The 42PD3000 is
    not capable of 720p or 1080i for the same reason. We do have a product
    called 42PMA400 which is a panel only (no tuner available) that will
    support HDTV via the component socket and it will also accept a
    Progressive Scan input. With the 42PD3000 all of the processing is
    handled in the Multimedia box ( 576 line converted to 1024p and then
    1024i). With the 42PMA400 the conversion is all done in the panel and it
    can scale to 720p, and 1080i if the signal is available.
    The American product has HDMI and HDCP but is of course 110v and NTSC so
    not suitable for UK. Hope this answers all of your questions.

:(

As for me ....I will still wait for a while longer than it's purchase time . Good luck for the rest making the decision....whichever way you go should be right caused you chose

7. encaser

encaser

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +112
    The way things may go could be that MS new WMV9 codec may appear more on dvd movies then hardware. This HD codec is being put on T2 for June and at present is a goer for HTPCs to get 720p to their plasma. This is only just over a month away and for real. 3D holographic dvds is also here and on my, and many others, Minority Report movie - get the picture...