Plasma Burn in

ARKaMAN

Standard Member
Just got my first Plasma TV. I have it hooked up to my PC. When I am not using it I don't wanna turn it off, but can I just leave a Black background with no icons and have no burn in? Or does having a full black static background still leave a burn in? Thanks :lease:

late8

Just got my first Plasma TV. I have it hooked up to my PC. When I am not using it I don't wanna turn it off, but can I just leave a Black background with no icons and have no burn in? Or does having a full black static background still leave a burn in? Thanks :lease:
if its 100% the same colour it will be fine. But the best thing to do is just turn off the screen when you not using it.

Really I wouldn't use a PC on a Plasma. LEDs are much better for PCs.- static images etc.

ArmitageShanks

^^^ what he said. Unless you're using your PC as a media center for video, you're inevitably going to wear in the static parts of the image (taskbars, scrollbars, desktop icons, window headers etc).

Besides the burn-in risk, many plasmas I've seen (including my own) suffer from line-bleed which looks awful when web-browsing or reading text. LCDs are simply much better suited to most PC-related tasks I'm afraid.

emrysdavies

All kinds of static background is what you definitely need to avoid during the early stages. I used Sky channel 999 and soon clocked up 400 hours by these means and I have not seen any signs of IR whatsoever and definitely not burn in.

ARKaMAN

Standard Member
Thanks for info. I am just using it for Videos & Video Games. I do all my other PC stuff on my LCDs.

Scooby2000

Distinguished Member
Thanks for info. I am just using it for Videos & Video Games. I do all my other PC stuff on my LCDs.
That'll be fine, more than in fact, either turn it off though or have a full screen screen saver running.

fluxo

Distinguished Member
Hi. You didn't say which model of plasma TV you bought. If it was a recent Panasonic,
then you can turn off the screen display (but not the TV itself) from the picture
menu.

I'm not sure if that's helpful, but I mentioned it just in case it might be.

Zealot

I'm planning to buy my first plasma soon(ish), so could you guys point me to the "Brand new Plasma TV guide" in the forum please?
I have Virgin Media so I don't really know what does channel 999 in Sky do.

What I'm mainly concerned is that my TV is usually on 16 hours a day, with cartoons for most of the day and tv series and movies at night. I also plan to connect my PC to the Plasma though.
So how do I protect my plasma from this sort of use?

emrysdavies

I'm planning to buy my first plasma soon(ish), so could you guys point me to the "Brand new Plasma TV guide" in the forum please?
I have Virgin Media so I don't really know what does channel 999 in Sky do.

What I'm mainly concerned is that my TV is usually on 16 hours a day, with cartoons for most of the day and tv series and movies at night. I also plan to connect my PC to the Plasma though.
So how do I protect my plasma from this sort of use?
Sky channel 999 is a very varied and interesting Sky advert which repeats itself every few minutes and I am fairly sure that it is continuous.

Initially (maybe 200+ hours) you need to avoid showing static logos and bars - in fact anything fixed and does not move - for extended periods and do not use THX Mode as this disables Pixel Orbiter. The purpose of the latter is to prevent IR so make sure that it is set to ON. Keep contrast and brightness low. Normal mode is ideal and I use nothing else at the moment, regardless. 'Mute' is static so reduce the sound via the remote if needs be.

Malcolm 011

Novice Member
the plasma is perfect for gaming ( contrast only on 50%) but it's not so good as a desktop/ surfing the web, not just I.R, it's also hard to read the text at 8ft away

you cant go above 50% brightness anyway whilst gaming, it just blinds you :D but to be honest, it's the contrast that causes IR.

Zealot

Sky channel 999 is a very varied and interesting Sky advert which repeats itself every few minutes and I am fairly sure that it is continuous.

Initially (maybe 200+ hours) you need to avoid showing static logos and bars - in fact anything fixed and does not move - for extended periods and do not use THX Mode as this disables Pixel Orbiter. The purpose of the latter is to prevent IR so make sure that it is set to ON. Keep contrast and brightness low. Normal mode is ideal and I use nothing else at the moment, regardless. 'Mute' is static so reduce the sound via the remote if needs be.
Ok, Virgin has something similar in channel 100, but they have a solid red Virgin logo on the top left corner and it just doesn't go away except very rarely. The logo is animated, but the red part is solid red and is not animated. I think I would be asking for trouble if I left it here.
However, movies channels like Film4 don't have any logos, so what do you think about movie channels? Also those who did, like True Movies 24, weren't solid logos, they had some transparency. And the movies overall have low brightness, so this is good right? Should I leave the TV running during the night on Film4 then?

However, what can I do about my son and wife's choice of channels? I can't tell them to wait for 8-9 full days before they can use the TV for what they want right?

Also, what do you mean by "Mute"? I didn't understand.

the plasma is perfect for gaming ( contrast only on 50%) but it's not so good as a desktop/ surfing the web, not just I.R, it's also hard to read the text at 8ft away
Did you know that you can increase the size of text and pictures in both Windows and the browser itself? :p

Scooby2000

Distinguished Member
If you see IR buildup just put the set in auto standby and run the scrolling bars.
Its contract and sharpness you want to worry about not brightness, just set brightness in a dark room with a black slide or better still get some test patterns.

Zealot

If you see IR buildup just put the set in auto standby and run the scrolling bars.
Its contract and sharpness you want to worry about not brightness, just set brightness in a dark room with a black slide or better still get some test patterns.
I have no idea what you're talking about. :D
So is "auto standby" a default setting in the TV?
And are those scrolling bars something that already come with the TV?
Is that black slide already inside those scrolling bars you mentioned before?
And where do I get those test patterns from?

Scooby2000

Distinguished Member
I have no idea what you're talking about. :D
So is "auto standby" a default setting in the TV?
And are those scrolling bars something that already come with the TV?
Is that black slide already inside those scrolling bars you mentioned before?
And where do I get those test patterns from?
Sorry habit of just saying such things lol.

Auto standby is an energy saving feature of most sets, fall asleep and the set turns itself off after a set amount of time through inaction.

Scrolling bars are an anti burn feature with modern plasmas, they also help remove IR.
Easy to access in the menus under anti burn or something similar.

By black slide I mean a full black image, you can use the bars at the top and bottom of a film. Reduce brightness to 0 then raise it until you notice a change then go back one to before the change occurred. Not ideal but better than nothing.

Test patterns come on a calibration disc like Spears and Munsil or Digital Video Essentials. There's a free download on AVSForum, not got a link at hand but sure another member can be kind enough to post one.:)

emrysdavies

Ok, Virgin has something similar in channel 100, but they have a solid red Virgin logo on the top left corner and it just doesn't go away except very rarely. The logo is animated, but the red part is solid red and is not animated. I think I would be asking for trouble if I left it here.
However, movies channels like Film4 don't have any logos, so what do you think about movie channels? Also those who did, like True Movies 24, weren't solid logos, they had some transparency. And the movies overall have low brightness, so this is good right? Should I leave the TV running during the night on Film4 then?

However, what can I do about my son and wife's choice of channels? I can't tell them to wait for 8-9 full days before they can use the TV for what they want right?

Also, what do you mean by "Mute"? I didn't understand.

Did you know that you can increase the size of text and pictures in both Windows and the browser itself? :p
Definitely not wise to leave the tv on unsupervised under those circumstances. You would need to be sure that the programme is logo and sidebar free, throughout.

I have a Mute button on each of my Remotes and it turns the sound off. You see Mute on the screen when it is enabled and it is always static. I avoided that by using volume control.

Just watch a channel that has a constantly changing programme and keep contrast and brightness at mid or below.

AVF Jay

Banned
It's very unlikely that you'll ever get burn in.

You would need to literally abuse the panel. It seems a lot of people think the terms ir and "burn in" are one and the same. When they are different things. Image retention happens on plasmas, especially panasonics, that's just the way it is. Image burn is very very very rare nowadays.

Image retention you will get regardless of what you do.

I get image retention from simply bringing up the menu on my tv, I can then see faint retention. The image retention seems to be getting worse though the more hours are on it which I found odd as I'd assume the more hours the better it gets......

Zealot

It's very unlikely that you'll ever get burn in.

You would need to literally abuse the panel. It seems a lot of people think the terms ir and "burn in" are one and the same. When they are different things. Image retention happens on plasmas, especially panasonics, that's just the way it is. Image burn is very very very rare nowadays.

Image retention you will get regardless of what you do.

I get image retention from simply bringing up the menu on my tv, I can then see faint retention. The image retention seems to be getting worse though the more hours are on it which I found odd as I'd assume the more hours the better it gets......
So how do I prevent that aparent decay on image retention? Stop using the TV menu? I can do that with the VIERA Connect 2 Android app right?

My main concern is that I have read about IR from a couple of minutes to days before it finally vanishes. If it's a couple of minutes I can live with that.
If it's days or even hours, then these types of TVs not fit for purpose. I honestly think that the series 50 should have been recalled, but then again so should have the Xbox 360 when it suffered from the RROD.

Scooby2000

Distinguished Member
So how do I prevent that aparent decay on image retention? Stop using the TV menu? I can do that with the VIERA Connect 2 Android app right?

My main concern is that I have read about IR from a couple of minutes to days before it finally vanishes. If it's a couple of minutes I can live with that.
If it's days or even hours, then these types of TVs not fit for purpose. I honestly think that the series 50 should have been recalled, but then again so should have the Xbox 360 when it suffered from the RROD.
Ill tell you now, IR will be there 24-7 its how plasma works, but you just won't see it the vast majority of the time as it goes in seconds and is very faint. To see most IR that sticks around for a while you need to display a blank screen and dim the lights.
Im sure my set has a lot of IR after gaming for hours and it may stick around a fair while, but importantly I can't see it with normal viewing an know it will go.

Many people post about IR that stays for days post pictures showing a blank screen and freak out thinking they have burn. On some occasions people say they can see it on normal content but to be honest most must be sitting bloomin close!. A lot of people worry not because its clear to see with normal viewing but because they worry it won't go. There are cases of some sets having IR last for days but it does fade and these cases are a minority. Think of the amount of plasma owning members on here and see how many complain about IR and that's just on here, as big as our membership is its a tiny fraction of the sets out there.

If its going to play on your mind then go LCD, font be scared off thou if you want one, do you honestly think US fussy lot would put up with burn and bad IR given how many sets we go through lol.:)

AVF Jay

Banned

You can use the tv menu, infact the best thing is to just use the tv normally and just watch a mixture of content.

People that run slides for 200 hours and never watch films with black bars etc is overkill.

You can watch a film with black bars, and you can watch content with static logos from day one.

The main thing is to just watch a mixture of content and you can even run the scrolling bar occasionally too.

I find myself running it on loading screens when playing a game sometimes for example.

Scooby2000

Distinguished Member
You can use the tv menu, infact the best thing is to just use the tv normally and just watch a mixture of content.

People that run slides for 200 hours and never watch films with black bars etc is overkill.

You can watch a film with black bars, and you can watch content with static logos from day one.

The main thing is to just watch a mixture of content and you can even run the scrolling bar occasionally too.

I find myself running it on loading screens when playing a game sometimes for example.
+1 to all that.:)

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: Reported HDMI 2.1 bugs, Audiolab Amp & LG LED Projector reviews + Best of the Month

Latest News

AVForums Podcast: 28th October 2020
  • By Phil Hinton
  • Published
Tom's Thumbs: What is coming to Netflix in November 2020
  • By AVForums
  • Published
Melco anniversary edition N10 library announced
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
What's new on Disney+ UK for November 2020
  • By Andy Bassett