1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Plasma Burn In and Sky Plus pause

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs' started by inventor, Nov 29, 2004.

1. inventor

inventor
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I'm debating between buying plasma and LCD (37 inch) at the moment. I tend to use The pause on Sky Plus very often. Does burn in happen when a static paused image is on screen for maybe 30 or 40 minutes or is the effect really only one which is of relevance when an image is displayed for a time period of the order of hours? Thanks.

2. TeresaTT

TeresaTT

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    I have TiVo and a PWD6, and if I'm going to pause for more than a few minutes, I turn off the screen. In case I forget to turn off the screen, TiVo helps by only displaying the pause bar for a couple of minutes and menu screens timeout after a few minutes and go back to live TV.

3. John

John

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,676
    I came back from the gym one night to discover SWMBO had paused + in excess of 20minutes , whilst talking to MIL on the phone . The look on my face must have been a picture .SWMBO ponted out that she often paused tv and went of and did other stuff :eek: what was the point of having it if she couldn't :lesson:

I pointed out the error of her ways :nono: .Needless to say she ignored me.
    However , I have not noticed any burn at all.Believe me I have looked :D
    atb
    JS

4. inventor

inventor
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I tend to agree with her point of view John, why not use it if its provided? I tend to start watching a football match for example, then put it on pause, go and make some tea, put the kids to bed, etc then come back to it 30 mins or more later and I can then fast forward, picking out the best bits to watch properly and skimming over the duller ones.

The point is, I believei ts no problem leaving an LCD TV on for this time with the static image (and sky plus of course leaves a bright 'pause' icon on screen all the time its paused) and I'd rather nor have to switch the TV picture off a) because I'm lazy (!) and b) because then someone else may come in, not realise its on pause and switch channels, losing the saved program.

5. johndon

johndon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +89
    I've managed to educate my wife that, if she's going to pause a program for more than a couple of minutes, to switch the screen off.

It's worked so far...

John

6. jaguar

jaguar
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    @inventor
    You can leave a static image on an LCD for as long as you like. They do not burn-in.

30-40 minutes on a plasma. I would not do it on my screen. Never!
    If you're going for LCD have a look at the Philips 37PF9986.

7. inventor

inventor
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Jaguar, the Philips is just what I was thinking of. Do you know if the ambilight feature can be turned off entirely? When we have a crowd round some folk inevitably end up watching the TV from a pretty acute angle so I suspect the'd see the ambilight source directly and would therefore probably need to turn it off .

John

8. YahooSerious

YahooSerious

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The ambilight has several settings, including off, so that wouldnt be an issue.

-Yahoo

9. banjo21

banjo21

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +128
    Gosh - I am worried now. I knew of the dangers of burn in on a plasma (PW7 here), but fell asleep watching a recorded movie on Sky+ last Saturday. This left the biggest, brightest static image in place for ages - you know the one that tells you its finished playing the recording and to now press back-up etc !!!!!!! I think I was asleep/film finished for approx 2 hours not 30 minutes.
    I haven't spotted any residual image yet (but I guess I need a white 'test' image to see that. I am kicking myself!!!!

10. John

John

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,676
    If you can't see it , don't go looking for it :smashin:

11. TeresaTT

TeresaTT

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    After reading about Sky+'s tendency to leave static images permanently on the screen, I really do appreciate the plasma friendly features in my TiVo. TiVo always times out after a few minutes, even when prompting to delete at the end of a recording, or in a menu. It always goes back to live TV, which generally will not be a static image.

12. googlybear

googlybear
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    heres a good one.
    That annoying press the red button message that appears on almost all channels, is there a way to turn it off as it is starting to burn into my screen

13. rooster

rooster
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    You can hit the back up button when watching but it reappears after a break. Don't know if you can stop them in the first place

14. googlybear

googlybear
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    thanks ill try that tonight

Getting a new screen delivered next week so not too worried at the moment but obviously dont want the burn in my new screen.

Thanks again :hiya: