plasma, blu ray, sky and home cinema connection

harryh44

Standard Member
Reaction score
Hi to all,
New to the site and need help.
I have and LG42PG6010, a sony BDPs350, a sky+ box which I want to connect to my home cinema for sound. The home cinema is the Philips mcd728 micro system. I can't seem yo be able to manage this. Can it be done?

Welcome to the forum :)

I'm afraid it doesn't look good. I had a look at the online manual for the Philips system and it appears the only audio input is an analogue one. Therefore you will only get pseudo surround sound. You ideally need digital audio inputs in order to receive (decode) DD5.1/DTS or newer HDMI for the newer HD audio formats.

If your TV has analogue audio outputs (red/white phono connectors marked with a circle with an arrow pointing outwards) you could connect the TV to the Philips via a phono cable. This will work providing your TV has the audio output and the TV outputs audio from external sources other than its freeview tuner. I would imagine your TV will at least have a headphone socket, requiring a 3.5mm to phono cable. Unfortunately these are often on the front of the TV so it might look a little unsightly.

Dave,
bearing in mind the equipment i have. which home cinema, in your opinion, would be best to fully appreciate the specs of the other equipment?:smashin:

Do you have a budget in mind? What size/type of speakers can you accommodate? My first thoughts would be a separate amp (with HD audio decoding) and speakers setup but that might not fit in with your budget.

Thanks Dave.
I was thinking of an amp myself but my wife would prefer two speakers and a sub (doesn't like all the cables). My budget is okay but not for top of the range items (mid range probably). Are there suitable wireless systems?

There are a few wireless systems around but usually expensive. The Sony IS100 can be supplied with an optional wireless rear module and features compact speakers. Do bear in mind that usually wireless speakers aren't wireless at all as they inevitably need power (wires) and usually connected to each other (more wires). You can get flat speaker cable such as Ixos 233 flat which has an adhesive backing and can be painted over. It's thin enough to run under carpets or flooring around the room or behind skirtings and so on. Otherwise look at conduit such as d-line. There is a video on their site showing how it works. I use the Ixos stuff myself and run it around the room.

I would suggest a trip to the dealers to see what is available and hear some systems for yourself.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom